• ...and so much more!
  • CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    Full article can be found here

City cops are livid over a legislative proposal that could handcuff the brave officers involved in life-and-death confrontations every day -- requiring them to shoot gun-wielding suspects in the arm or leg rather than shoot to kill, The Post has learned.
    The "minimum force" bill, which surfaced in the Assembly last week, seeks to amend the state penal codes' "justification" clause that allows an officer the right to kill a thug if he feels his life or someone else's is in imminent danger.
    The bill -- drafted in the wake of Sean Bell's controversial police shooting death -- would force officers to use their weapons "with the intent to stop, rather than kill" a suspect. They would be mandated to "shoot a suspect in the arm or the leg."

Under present NYPD training, cops are taught to shoot at the center of their target and fire their weapon until the threat has been stopped.
    "These are split-second, spontaneous events -- and officers have to make a full assessment in a fraction of a second," said an angry Michael Paladino, president of the Detectives Endowment Association. "It is not realistic, and it exists only in cartoons.
    "It's moronic and would create two sets of rules in the streets if there is a gunfight. This legislation would require officers to literally shoot the gun out of someone's hand or shoot to wound them in the leg or arm. I don't know of any criminal who doesn't shoot to kill. They are not bound by any restrictions."
    "The legislators have their heads buried in the sand, and we would not be able to fully protect the public or ourselves."
    In fact, NYPD officers and detectives hit their targets only 17 percent of the time because of the incredibly stressful circumstances surrounding a shooting.
    Paladino, whose association represents 5,100 investigators, said he showed the bill last week to Vice President Joe Biden, who scoffed and suggested it be dubbed "The John Wayne Bill" because it demands sharp-shooting skills of the kind only seen in movies.
    Sponsored by Brooklyn Assembly Members Annette Robinson (D-Bedford Stuyvesant) and Darryl Towns (D-East New York), the bill came up at the Assembly Codes Committee but was held for further consideration rather than killed or put to vote before the full Assembly.
    They did not immediately comment.
    Assemblyman Joseph Lentol, the Codes Committee chair from Fort Greene and Williamsburg, said that the bill is well-intentioned but that the language may need changing.
    THE PROPOSAL
    Section of Assembly Bill A02952
    “A police officer or peace officer . . . uses such force with the intent to stop, rather than kill . . . and uses only the minimal amount of force necessary to effect such stop.”
    THE CURRENT LAW
    Section of state Penal Law S 35.15(2)(a)(ii)
    “A person may not use deadly physical force upon another person . . . unless: he or she is . . . a police officer or peace officer or a person assisting a police officer or a peace officer at the latter’s direction.”
    murray.weiss@nypost.com

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    That is one of the most ridiculous things I ever ever read! Is that the script for a SNL skit??????

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Just making it easier for crooks to run amok in the Big S*$^hole! The street crooks not the crooks in charge of things there...

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    This is a good way increase the size of the NYPD widow's club. It's displays the depth of the ignorance that anti-gun liberals have about guns in general, and gun fights in particular.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    why dont they just take guns away from cops? makem use their tasers only.

people are SO stupid. if i was a cop in NY and this passed i would be GONE!!! All they are doing is setting these cops up to fail before they even start. not cool to play with peoples lives like that. ive said it before, NY is a stupid city with stupid people, and the smart people who stay are stupid too. same with californians, and i have family there.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'd be all for this bill if each legislator would agree to patrol the streets of NYC one night per week (or two consecutive nights every two weeks), following the guidlines that they want the full time officers to follow.
    Add this to the bill and see how many support it then.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Normally, I'd scoff at the stupidity of such a bill, and declare that if passed it would be time for the cops to relocate or find new professions.

However, the cops never spoke up for their fellow citizens, who are denied the right to defend themselves. Cops aren't a special class of people, and deserve no more right to defend themselves and others than their fellow citizens. Perhaps they should speak out against the laws victimizing their fellow citizens, and they would gather a bit of support from them.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Normally, I'd scoff at the stupidity of such a bill, and declare that if passed it would be time for the cops to relocate or find new professions.

However, the cops never spoke up for their fellow citizens, who are denied the right to defend themselves. Cops aren't a special class of people, and deserve no more right to defend themselves and others than their fellow citizens. Perhaps they should speak out against the laws victimizing their fellow citizens, and they would gather a bit of support from them.

At first I was against the thought of such a bill, but you know what, you are right. Turn about is fair play. :patriot:

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    ......Sponsored by Brooklyn Assembly Members Annette Robinson (D-Bedford Stuyvesant) and Darryl Towns (D-East New York)....
    Naive doesn't begin to describe these two.........

Top Bottom