• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I have had an on again/off again relationship with This Old House since its earliest days. I think its recent project of rebuilding a house for a couple with a handicapped child is one of the bigger money pits for the sake of just spending money I have seen. Anyway it looks like all the interior wall lumber is 2x6 engineered. I get 2x6 for exteriors and for chases but everywhere? Are engineered 2x becoming common? Cost effective?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I have had an on again/off again relationship with This Old House since its earliest days. I think its recent project of rebuilding a house for a couple with a handicapped child is one of the bigger money pits for the sake of just spending money I have seen. Anyway it looks like all the interior wall lumber is 2x6 engineered. I get 2x6 for exteriors and for chases but everywhere? Are engineered 2x becoming common? Cost effective?
    Are you talking about the lumber that looks like OSB board?

I don’t know why 2x6 engineered lumber would be needed for interior walls unless there’s some unusual load above it, but then again, I’ve been out of the construction business for quite a few years.

That show is produced in the northeast, right? Who knows, maybe it’s some local code now?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    If i could build I was ask for it (well just regular 2x6) unless I got a... oh whatcha call em concrete homes.... icf? I forget

I'd want to insulate for sound as much as possible.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    Stopped watching it when it became more or an interior decorator show.
    But right, not much of a reason for 2x6 interior, except for water walls. Just adds cost to door jambs, but no matter on that show, millwork is usually cu$$$$tom anyway.

But as conventional lumber continues it's quality decline and cost increase, the straighter engineered 2x's might win favor, especially in kitchens & baths where cabinets and tile go on much easier/better on flat, straight walls. Literally just remodeled my own shower where one 2x was bowed out half an inch.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I've been out of the Building scene for quite a few years. We used Finger Jointed 2X6's on all exterior walls. Interior walls were 2X4 Standard Studs. Right before Drywall we Straightened interior Studs as needed. I can't imagine trying to build anything with the Lumber Quality now. I built a Handrail at the Lake 3 years ago. I went through 2 bundles of Spindles at Menards to find 16 Straight ones.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've been out of the Building scene for quite a few years. We used Finger Jointed 2X6's on all exterior walls. Interior walls were 2X4 Standard Studs. Right before Drywall we Straightened interior Studs as needed. I can't imagine trying to build anything with the Lumber Quality now. I built a Handrail at the Lake 3 years ago. I went through 2 bundles of Spindles at Menards to find 16 Straight ones.
    I had a bunch of lumber delivered from 84 lumber when I built the addition on my house, the 2x6 and 2x10 stuff was actually pretty decent, but the whole unit of 2x4s was unusable garbage, it was so bad it probably wouldn’t have even burned well. Out of the 180 I ordered, there literally was not one good one. They reluctantly agreed to come back and haul them off, and I went to Home Depot and picked through 3 bundles to get what I needed. I’ve seen some crap lumber, but never anything as bad as the garbage 84 sent me. That was the last time I will ever deal with them.

I will buy a dozen or so 2x4s anytime I’m in HD if they happen to have some nice ones.

Top Bottom