Congress' Select Committee - Will they git 'er done?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • other guy

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Peru Indiana
    Then you have not cut enough! There are only 3 basic needs that one needs: food, shelter and clothing. Everything else is a luxury and if after you pay for these three you have left over money **AND** are debt free then you can spend on them. Otherwise you give all your "left over money" to pay off your debt.

In the case of the .gov they are not following this.

Well there is none left over, that is the problem. You can keep cutting until you live in the street. Myself, i opt for getting a part time job(INCREASE REVENUE)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Well there is none left over, that is the problem. You can keep cutting until you live in the street. Myself, i opt for getting a part time job(INCREASE REVENUE)

Then you have
    1) not cut enough or
    2) have a money management problem

In the case of our .gov they have BOTH!

In the case of an individual yes getting a part time job to increase revenue is a choice since they can quit at any time and that "extra revenue" will just go away. Sadly I'm not willing to allow big brother to do that. They are a spoiled child that continues to ask for more & more without ever learning the lesson that life is hard and sometimes being poor is just that being poor.

other guy

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Peru Indiana
    Name 1 time in this nations history when revenue increased they cut spending and paid debt off.
    What has that got to do with anything? Would it make you happy if they just quit collecting taxes altogether. Quit sending out s.s. checks. Quit maintaining the roads. Just shut down. Maybe thats what it will take for you clowns to relaize what we are talking about here.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    What has that got to do with anything? Would it make you happy if they just quit collecting taxes altogether. Quit sending out s.s. checks. Quit maintaining the roads. Just shut down. Maybe thats what it will take for you clowns to relaize what we are talking about here.

He is making a statement and is looking for an answer. There is NO need to insult him/us and make sure rude remarks. We need facts in order to debate this topic, not emotional outrages.

What would happen if say for the next month we did indeed have zero tax collection? :dunno: Look at it from both how the .gov would operate as well as the state as well as your own paycheck. I don't think that at the end of the day the roads would not get maintained. It would occur locally. Do you really think that your neighoors and you won't get together to deal with your own local problems?

Since the beginning of mankind there has been some sort of "governance" for the greater good of all. Ie. The cavemen got together to determine which hunt path they would take, etc..

--update--
    Sry I misread your statement. I read just shut up instead of just shut down.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Keep in mind, that some of the federal programs that get cut, will be picked up by the states either as unfunded mandates or things that states will want to keep up. Net result then is raising taxes at the state level and/or cutting state programs.

There are just too many government services that we require (or at least accustomed to) and they need money to keep afloat. Cutting only discretionary spending will not be enough to balance the budget.

Increasing revenue to pay off the debt is not a bad idea. I think the real issue is how Congress would really use the increased revenue.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Meh. Been there seen this. The debt will be both monetized and continue growing, just like it did after Grahm Rudman and similar legislation after the NYC bankruptcy in the 70s. All this stuff makes good political sound bites to be spun by the dc BS molders. Big law/lobby firms have already figured out a way to get around this and maintain the status quo, they run the country. Your leadership lies.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    What has that got to do with anything?
    How about they man up and quit spending more than they take in?

Would it make you happy if they just quit collecting taxes altogether.
    You are being silly . No one has said the federal government is ment to have no tax money. Any reasonable person can see they have a SPENDING PROBLEM.

Quit sending out s.s. checks. Quit maintaining the roads. Just shut down. Maybe thats what it will take for you clowns to relaize what we are talking about here.
    The clowns are the ones that can see overspending is a problem?
    I have always liked clowns and loved the circus, but hey I have no problems with understanding what is real and what isn't.

Meth heads want more meth. Herion addicts want more herion. Alcoholics want more alcohol. Congress and Presidents want more of your money to feed their addiction. Don't belittle us because we don't care to be enablers.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Nobody has mentioned the fact that all the republicans have signed the pledge not to raise taxes period. The dems are willing to go more than hallf way. $4 trillion in cuts, 1 trillion in new revenue,. Seems more than fair to me. But NO, The republicans will stand firm 0 in new revenue. Only cuts, That was their position before and that is their position now. IT MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY. no COMPROMISE

As it should be. We didn't elect the new House to compromise. We elected them to overturn all of the Barry, Harry, and Scary (pelosi) BS.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Well, for those of you watching the Republican debate, I think the republicans made it pretty clear how much compromise they are willing to make. All cuts, no increase in revenue(taxes). Not even in a 10 to 1 ratio. To me it sounds like they are the ones who say "my way or the highway"

Both parties and especially the President are this way. Obama says "these republicans won't compromise and do it my way.". Uh...that's not compromise Barry. That's whining cause you can't get your way. Time to make a new executive order or you know a "super congress" or something so You don't have to worry about what the voters want. And by voter I mean legal voter.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish

What has that got to do with anything???? It has EVERYTHING to with with it. If they increase revenue, they just spend more. We want them to stop spending. If they stop entitlements, if they stop paying for middle east mosque upgrades( where are the church and state people here???) if they stop wasting our money on so many other "programs" they will have money for roads and such.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    As it should be. We didn't elect the new House to compromise. We elected them to overturn all of the Barry, Harry, and Scary (pelosi) BS.

Speak for yourself. I expect my representatives to be leaders capable of more than hiding behind a no tax pledge.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Speak for yourself. I expect my representatives to be leaders capable of more than hiding behind a no tax pledge.

So you elect them because you are unhappy with the status quo, and then you want them to compromise and accept more status quo? I am sick of the status quo, I want them to stand firm and fight the stupidity. I want them to find the money that we shouldn't be spending and stop it from flowing out of our coffers.

For example a good use of your tax dollars: NHI wastes tax dollars studying penis size of gay men - National Political Transcripts | Examiner.com

Glad we FINALLY know that. There are thousands more studies of equal quality just chewing up your taxes. Believe me, I know, I've seen them in the journals. My point is that is we stop this kind of stuff, there will be plenty of money for stuff like, I don't know--not defaulting on our debt?

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    So you elect them because you are unhappy with the status quo, and then you want them to compromise and accept more status quo? I am sick of the status quo, I want them to stand firm and fight the stupidity. I want them to find the money that we shouldn't be spending and stop it from flowing out of our coffers.

For example a good use of your tax dollars: NHI wastes tax dollars studying penis size of gay men - National Political Transcripts | Examiner.com

Glad we FINALLY know that. There are thousands more studies of equal quality just chewing up your taxes. Believe me, I know, I've seen them in the journals. My point is that is we stop this kind of stuff, there will be plenty of money for stuff like, I don't know--not defaulting on our debt?
    No, I do not vote for people because I am unhappy with the status quo. It's the "anybody but Bush" and now "anybody but Obama" that's contributed to our present situation. It's become the norm to vote against candidate A rather than for candidate B.

We need leadership in government. I want to vote for someone who can think and be rational. While some things in life are absolutes, good government is not. The "status quo" that most want to eliminate is wasteful government and politicians who are caught up in their own political ambitions. Congress takes an oath to uphold the Constitution, not the Norquist tax pledge. If a reasonable change in the tax structure causes a modest increase in revenue and serves the country, what's wrong with that. We have an opportunity to clean up the tax code which is full of entitlements in the form of exemptions and loopholes. This tax pledge gives them something to hide behind and removes responsibility from being a statesman.

According to Webster, a statesman is "one versed in the principles or art of government; a wise, skillful, and respected political leader."

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I didn't say vote for anyone. The people voted for the current house generally because of principles of fiscal conservatism and to prevent Obama from further messing things up. That's what they ran on. That's what I expect them to do.

"adjusting the tax structure" in this case means increasing taxes in those that are already paying more than their share. Yes, I said "more." if you think movie stars are too rich, don't watch their movies. If you think athletes are too rich, don't buy their jersey. If you think your dentist or doctor or whoever makes too much money then utilize your free market choices and don't buy their products. Otherwise don't complain and stop trying to steal the money you just paid them back in terms of taxation and redistribution of wealth.

I agree we need new tax code and eliminate waste. I just don't think that if we do this effectively more revenue will be needed.

As for true statesmen, I don't believe there are enough of them to fill the Capitol building at any given time. Our system propagates the election of people who have no business being there and holds onto them far longer than they deserve. Ergo; the smaller the government, the less they spend, the better off we are.

Last edited:

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    I would like to see them disbanded and the cowards in congress do their job. This is a sidestep of responsibility and the constitution.

This is exactly the case. I've never seen a provison the the Constitution that allows some small group of senators and reps the authority to outline the future of Americans. This 'Super Group' is in violation of the Constitution where as the entire congress must approve their recommendtions, so why not make the congress do the job we sent them there to do instead of hiding behind the "gang of twelve" in fear of losing elections.

It will be the same old doggy doo, bickering, and name calling as it has always been.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    This thread has pretty well run its course. Reading responses, listening to news commentators and other research, has given me some insight into the situation. At the end of the day, I think they will come up with some form of a solution only because the bar is set so low. Identifying $1.5T should not be that difficult.

Top Bottom