Start here.
    2.png

lstout

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 16, 2016
    NW Indy
    Now might be a good time to take advantage of the Black Friday deals and get yourself a new computer. I'm not sure how old your machine is but Windows XP was release in late 2001 and end-of-life'd April of 2014. You'd be amazed at how much faster a modern computer would be. Also if you already have everything backed up you wont be out much other than time.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I do have Acronis installed and my system is backed up but at this time I don't know what to do with it.
    My computer is running fine, I'm sure of that. It's the operating system boot up that's screwed up.
    Linux works fine on it and I haven't had any issues before changing the battery.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Now might be a good time to take advantage of the Black Friday deals and get yourself a new computer. I'm not sure how old your machine is but Windows XP was release in late 2001 and end-of-life'd April of 2014. You'd be amazed at how much faster a modern computer would be. Also if you already have everything backed up you wont be out much other than time.[/QUOTE

My wife has a Windows 7 lap top but I don't have the resources to buy a new computer.
    I don't use this Dell very often, only when I want to print something or look at a larger screen.
    BTW, I did have the hard drive replaced 2-3 years ago.
    No, I believe it is something simple in the startup sequence.
    Now days I mostly use my smart phone for everything. I'd be lost without it.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Flightsimmer, you're getting good advice in here. Read it.

You are absolutely correct there is nothing wrong with your hard drive or your OS. This issue is that you reset the BIOS when you changed the battery. Now the motherboard cannot speak to the hard drive because it doesn't understand the language you are using. Change the hard drive settings - could be LBA, AHCI, ATA, depending on your system. Experiment. It will eventually work. Maybe take a picture of your BIOS screen so we can help you further.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Went back into my A+ book to make sure I was right. There was no need to apply 3v. That should not have burned anything up unless you reversed positive and negative. I can see in the picture that there is a Password reset jumper. There also should be a CMOS jumper to reset the CMOS near that jumper. That would be my next step, it will not harm data on the HDD but it will reset everything to factory. If you have never changed those settings that should do it. If you cannot find it see if you can find it on the Dell website. Applying the 3V may have scrambled the CMOS. Most of the time removing the jumper will reset the CMOS but check the Dell website. The factory settings are "Burned in" so it will reset, or you can just remove the battery for 5 minutes with the power off, to be sure it resets. If that does not work you may be screwed. I know about no resources belive me! What is the Model of your PC and later today I'll check back and see how its going if your still having trouble I'll look it up on Dell and see what I can find I also PM my phone number so you can call me if you wish. I'll be cleaning up my garage today.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Under tech info on the blue screen it says: *** STOP :0X0000007B

I asked Goggle and it has the answer but I don't quite understand it.

BTW, how can I access the BIOS?

Last edited:

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    This this this.

Get into F2. This is your BIOS. Take a picture of it and post it so we can tell you where to go.

It should be noted press the f2 at the Dell startup screen ( when the Dell logo is displayed) if you miss it start over, keep hitting f2 from the time you turn it on.

Also note you have to use a wired keyboard.

Last edited:

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    F2 takes me to the setup screen and after looking through it thoroughly I find nothing about the BIOS there at all.
    I went through each and every option and could find nothing that mentioned the BIOS settings.
    F2 and F12 are the only options I have been able to access so far.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    [STRIKE]Plus make sure there is a HDD registered in "Drive Configuration". It could have been unplugged when you were in there.[/STRIKE]
    You are getting the BSOD, so there is a HDD in there.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom