Competition Shooting Translate to Real-World Shooting? - Critical Mas with Massad Ayoob

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

The 6 reasons why you should from the video
    1) Test under pressure.
    2) Performance comparison (see what a good shooter looks like)
    3) Competition breeds greatness
    4) Gear shakeout
    5) Exposure to good ranges
    6) FUN

All of these are legit reasons but I was again today reminded of number 4. I shot a "carry gun" match at one of the local to me monthly IDPA matches. Very few of the competitors showed up with carry guns or carry gear. But since I did I can make a comparison. Shooting my Canik MC9 with small Holosun EPS carry from AIWB and t shirt concealment as opposed to my normal full size custom Legion Xcarry with SRO from OWB and vest took me down from a normal placing of about 3rd, to 14th. Now I did have to pay a stupid tax on 2 penalties that I normally wouldn't have made but even if in fairness we take those out, that still would have landed me in 10th, considerably below my average. I was still one of the most accurate shooters, but had to do it much slower. If you have never tried, you don't know.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

The 6 reasons why you should from the video
    1) Test under pressure.
    2) Performance comparison (see what a good shooter looks like)
    3) Competition breeds greatness
    4) Gear shakeout
    5) Exposure to good ranges
    6) FUN

All of these are legit reasons but I was again today reminded of number 4. I shot a "carry gun" match at one of the local to me monthly IDPA matches. Very few of the competitors showed up with carry guns or carry gear. But since I did I can make a comparison. Shooting my Canik MC9 with small Holosun EPS carry from AIWB and t shirt concealment as opposed to my normal full size custom Legion Xcarry with SRO from OWB and vest took me down from a normal placing of about 3rd, to 14th. Now I did have to pay a stupid tax on 2 penalties that I normally wouldn't have made but even if in fairness we take those out, that still would have landed me in 10th, considerably below my average. I was still one of the most accurate shooters, but had to do it much slower. If you have never tried, you don't know.

Technically, you were the "only" one playing by the rules in that match. So take that placement with a grain of salt.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Technically, you were the "only" one playing by the rules in that match. So take that placement with a grain of salt.
    There were 3 or 4 of us out of 40. I don't feel terrible about it, my point is that even for someone like me who makes sure to practice with the small gun (although not as much as with my big ones) performance does suffer. I so often see people make the comment that my micro blaster shoots just like a big gun. That may be true if you are just standing there plinking, but trying to do performance shooting under pressure, doubtful.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    There were 3 or 4 of us out of 40. I don't feel terrible about it, my point is that even for someone like me who makes sure to practice with the small gun (although not as much as with my big ones) performance does suffer. I so often see people make the comment that my micro blaster shoots just like a big gun. That may be true if you are just standing there plinking, but trying to do performance shooting under pressure, doubtful.
    Good attitude. In this respect, (carry gun match) compete against yourself. Not others.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    In the Shooting Sports The shooter in last place or DQ’d is better than those too lazy or scared to try.

MAS is right on.

StreetWise Stages are designed for Real Carry equipment and will get you all the things the bigger associations can provide except with lower cost, less round count and more closely related to civil gun defense.

Top Bottom