• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Any one use Comcast xfinity tripple play care to share their experience?

Currently I have dish network and Verizon for home phone and DSL internet.

I can save about $35 a month going with Comcast and the internet speed is about 4x faster.

Since Verizon just sold their home and internet to frontier in my area I am looking for better deals.

Any thoughts of merit?

Thanks in advance.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I have the triple play deal, it's over 100 bucks a month. One bad thing is if your power goes out you lose your land phone once the batteries die out on the modem. I am okay with it otherwise.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    It's a bit on the expensive side but if you like fast internet speeds (for gaming or doing a lot of down/uploading) it's worth it.

I especially like the Comcast "on demand" feature, I rarely ever go to the movie rental stores anymore, I just click my remote a couple of times & my movie starts right up.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Is this shared on their line as a typical cable modem? Because we have the highest normal that Comcast provides and the load in our network often drops up down to dial up speed at times. Frustrating.

Last edited:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Is this shared on their line as a typical cable modem? Bedause we have the highest normal that Comcast provides and the load in our network often drops up down to dial up speed at times. Frustrating.
    Yes, don't be fooled, Xfinity is just a Comcast with a different name tag.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Is this shared on their line as a typical cable modem? Bedause we have the highest normal that Comcast provides and the load in our network often drops up down to dial up speed at times. Frustrating.

We have 4 televisions, 2 DVR boxes, a PS3, two computers, a router, two phones & modem of course all running off the same cable line & I've never noticed any dropped packets or "bottleneck" effects with ours.

Wait I take that back ...

We did experience a slow down awhile back, maybe like 6 or 8 months ago or so, I determined that it was our old original RCA model cable modem, anyway I replaced our old cable modem with a new one that Comcast gave us & it immediately cleared right up.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have had Comcast for 4 years now. The only time I have had a problem, was during the flood. Other then that my net has never gone down. It's always fast. Hell I downloaded CAD/CAM for school, I was amazed how fast it downloaded. It's a massive program. So until I find something faster, which I have yet to do. Then I'll stay where I'm. Their all crooks, no matter who you go with, in one way or another. I will never own a dish, because they are worthless in my eyes. Everyone I know that has, or have owned one. Said if you get a bad storm, say bye bye to your reception.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    We have 4 televisions, 2 DVR boxes, a PS3, two computers, a router, two phones & modem of course all running off the same cable line & I've never noticed any dropped packets or "bottleneck" effects with ours.

Wait I take that back ...

We did experience a slow down awhile back, maybe like 6 or 8 months ago or so, I determined that it was our old original RCA model cable modem, anyway I replaced our old cable modem with a new one that Comcast gave us & it immediately cleared right up.

The problem isn't with what is in your home. All your neighbors share the data connection to a certain point, with cable modems. Since Comcast is the only game in town for high speed (heh heh) internet in our neighborhood, everyone has them. During the day, if I work from home, the speed is great. 6 PM, it can be terrible. There is a finite bandwidth for the entire line and a neighborhood can saturate it.

If we were close enough for Uverse, that is what we would have for internet. It is much faster and maintains speed regardless. Most of Comcasts adds are lies in my experience. Like when they tried to charge me $300 for a cable modem I had already returned to them. A bunch of crooks.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South

I'll check it again after 6pm & post the results.

That is better speed than I have EVER seen on our Comcast. I've seen it up to 2 MB/s -> 16 Mb/s. I've also gone down to under 150 Kb/s.

It completely depends on the neighborhood. If you have multiple options or limited subscription to Comcast, it can often be the fastest provider. Unfortunately, in older neighborhoods, it may not be the case.

Other than talking to neighbors that have it before ordering, you can only try it to be sure.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    I'll check it again after 6pm & post the results.

Cool and thanks.

As with everything you will have ups and Downs I expect.

Dish did a big time screwie deal last December. Two weeks before Xmas they whacked my autopsy for $560 or so playing some shellgame saying they never rcvd the defective Dvr back. Actually two of them. First replacement was Dow 3 weeks later. They tried to offer me service credit for the overcharge once I proved it was their error. Finally after calm and lengthy conversation they credited my card within a week for nsf fees and the $400 error. Plus gave me another $60 in credits over the next months because I explained that they actually gave me credit fora an nsf that was reversed.

Funny thing is that same $400 charge popped up the next billing cycle again. They fixed it and I canceled autopay Since I could no longer trust their billing system.

After searching tech forums I noticed that a majority of techs for Comcast reported that lower income areas seemed to suffer from really poor service which was a result of old cables, line noise, bandwidth hogs and often multiple illegal taps especially in multi unit areas.

Some of the excuses were directed away from Comcast but much was about areas that just are last on the list for tech improvements.

All in all it seems it is either good or horrible and usually very little in between in the mediocre range.

Since I have dealt with customer service as a career most of my life I don't sweat having to deal with them too much and there is always dish and frontier to go back to if it doesn't live up to its advertisement.

Thanks for the info gang.

Wish me luck.lol

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    How many people that are on your node is one key factor on speed.

Got a node with very few on it and you'll get blazing speeds all the time, got one that's loaded, expect slowdowns because of a bottleneck. That line coming into your neighborhood can only handle so much. Just like a construction zone where 4 lanes run into 2, expect wait times to double.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Been with Comcast forever, have always fixed us up quick if there was a problem.

I don't use their phone service because we use MagicJack.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Here's mine:

933742724.png

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Well the results did show a slight decrease in both download & upload speeds but not really enough to notice without actually running a before & after test.

Top Bottom