• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mxxkffg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 15, 2011
    southside Indianapolis
    Hello all, I have a 1918 manufactured Colt 1911 with an issue. The gun functions just fine the only problem is the barrel bushing doesn't sit flush against the face of the slide. If you're holding the pistol and looking at it from the side there is a slight gap between the bushing and the slide. You can push it in flush but the spring obviously just pushes it right back out. I don't shoot it that often because of this, but I'd like to shoot it more. It's no serious collector piece or anything, it's been reblued at least once in its long life.

I'm wondering if this is a common thing? If it is just the bushing? Could the slide be worn and not the bushing? Should I just roll the dice on an ebay bushing? And if so what do I buy exactly?

I'll try and post some pics when I get home. Thanks in advance to any and all help.

And please do not tell me to put it away, oil it, and go buy a new one if I want one to shoot.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not supposed to do that.
    This can be fixed but will change up the look and originality of your gun.
    I have a bag full of bushings (Not sure of the measurements on your gun) that you ar welcome to go through and see if one will fix this.
    If the machined grove in the slide is worn this will be w spendy repair.

mxxkffg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 15, 2011
    southside Indianapolis
    That would be great if I could check it out with your bushings. Thank you.

Yeah if the slide is actually worn I highly doubt I'll have it repaired. Is there anything I could look at or look for before I actually check it against different bushings?

What are your thoughts on the NM bushings? I remember reading once upon a time that these need to be fitted. Is the lug on the bushing one area that needs to be fitted?

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    the end of the slide is not heat treated and is probably wollerd out so you will need a over size bushing then it fitted to it......... don't fire any modern ammo from it......those guns where not heat treated......find some ammo that is 800fps or under......

i have seen them snap the whole end of the slide off from the spring tunnel forward.....take it out and shoot it on special occasion and just a few mags or you'll have a bunch of scrap metal......

:twocents:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    ghitch is right.
    I have a Wilson oversize bush on the bench that would need to be hand fit.
    Shoot me a PM and I will help you out with this just because you have one of the really cool ones....:)

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    the end of the slide is not heat treated and is probably wollerd out so you will need a over size bushing then it fitted to it......... don't fire any modern ammo from it......those guns where not heat treated......find some ammo that is 800fps or under......

i have seen them snap the whole end of the slide off from the spring tunnel forward.....take it out and shoot it on special occasion and just a few mags or you'll have a bunch of scrap metal......

:twocents:

What he said.

mxxkffg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 15, 2011
    southside Indianapolis
    I've always shot 230 grain lrn over 4.5 grains of bullseye and I've put maybe 200 rounds through it in three years. Since I've owned it it's always had this issue with the bushing I just wasn't sure if was truly something to worry about. Any time I've seen an old one here and there though the bushing has always been flush with the slide.

I will be PMing you shortly churchmouse

Thanks guys for the info

mxxkffg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 15, 2011
    southside Indianapolis
    After looking more closely it doesn't seem to be the slide. If I turn the bushing in the slide in the groove but outside of the spot the lug normally rides there is no more or less play. It seems to me if the slide were worn there would be a more worn spot where the lug normally rides with more noticeable play. Am I correct in assuming this?

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    It is very common to see bushings that don't mate perfectly with the front of the slide. It's because of tolerance stacking. In your case you need to fit a new bushing - that's way too loose a fit. The problem is the bushing is way undersized for your slide and the bushing's lug is not where it needs to be and/or is too thin or the locking slot in the slide was cut too wide or in the wrong place. The bushing O.D. is way under what is needed for your slide. It should not be cocked at an angle like that. At some point in its history some armorer stuck a bushing in that should have been tossed. You could buy an oversized bushing with an oversized lug and turn it down to fit your slide. Or you can measure your slide and barrel and have one custom reamed and turned by EGW but it still may set proud of the slide (but it will be straight with the bore). Factory stock Colts have always had loose bushings. Be aware though that a Colt 1911 built in 1918 has had no heat treating done to it and is soft steel. Steady use of ball rounds WILL beat it to death eventually. They were built to meet military specs. The military didn't expect it to last through 2 World Wars and Korea and Vietnam without some rebuilds and careful inspection for stress risers forming cracks from the inside sharp corners (which is why the front of the slide lets go). I would shoot it a little but or use very light wadcutter loads only.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom