• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Not exactly but to a point. From what I've been told and given the current job market, more and more employers want employees with a degree. I am suggesting there is an enormous amount of pressure when it comes to taking the risk of carrying on campus. My point is this pressure and risk shouldn't exist in indiana, not with the right to carry being clearly defined in the State Constitution. Here's what college age carriers have to ask themselves: carry and risk being expelled (forfeiting thousands of dollars and potentially their future) but having the security a firearm can provide or not carry and not risk being expelled but risk becoming a victim due to mass-kill zones.
    Yes, I believe this is a serious consideration for all college age carriers and not something that can be taken lightly.

That's an interesting perspective. You should also understand that colleges across the board have undergone unspoken lowering of academic standards and grade inflation for that last couple of decades. You may feel other pressures greater than your predecessors, but the actual academic rigor is not among them. You could look at it as a tradeoff.

I will admit that the financial pressures have definitely increased. With the government tampering of the market allowing and in some cases encouraging colleges to increase their tuition and costs far beyond any value that could be set by a reasonably free market, it's crazy the level of debt that some students choose to incur that they have no hope of repaying, much less achieving a positive return on their investment.

Students who chose to be armed on campuses in the past did face the same penalties in some cases as student do today.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    That's an interesting perspective. You should also understand that colleges across the board have undergone unspoken lowering of academic standards and grade inflation for that last couple of decades. You may feel other pressures greater than your predecessors, but the actual academic rigor is not among them. You could look at it as a tradeoff.

I will admit that the financial pressures have definitely increased. With the government tampering of the market allowing and in some cases encouraging colleges to increase their tuition and costs far beyond any value that could be set by a reasonably free market, it's crazy the level of debt that some students choose to incur that they have no hope of repaying, much less achieving a positive return on their investment.

Students who chose to be armed on campuses in the past did face the same penalties in some cases as student do today.
    I speak of the financial pressures in colleges, not the academic ones. Frankly, the academic work isn't that bad. If you even tried in high school then you'l be fine in college.

I understand that armed students faced the same pressure (probably more so where legal implications applied) but from my studies there were more job opportunities for people without degrees unlike today (at least that's what it feels like to me). Trust me, this is the only exception I make when I carry because I personally feel I cannot afford to risk it. Plus I drive 100 miles round trip to go to school. Sad isn't it?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    The administrators via threat of expulsion. Please read my post in its entirety and commit again. If a future and thousands of dollars seem to not have a value to you, then I'm afraid you won't understand my point. I cannot afford to be expelled and it should be illegal for a publicly funded college to ban the right to carry when it is apart of the State Constitution.
    I read your post the first time through.
    i didn't say, and don't think that your future and thousands of dollars don't have value. They do have at least thousands of dollars of value! But for your future to have value you probably need to at least be alive!?
    No matter the schools regulations, you still have the right to carry! Just be smart about it, and unless you need it, no one will ever know. And if they find out, we'll then, make sure it's worth it!

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I sincerely hope I don't either. I must ask, have you attended college in recent years (I have no idea who you are so no way of knowing)? Because if you have, you'll know the enormous pressures we feel as students. If you mean do I value school over my life, unfortunately I do. you should have seen the enormous risks I took driving this winter.
    Pressures? Really? No offense, but if you think you are facing such extreme pressure now, just wait!
    You value school over life? Seriously?:rolleyes:

Edit: if human life seems to not have a value to you, then I'm afraid you won't understand my point!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I don't know why all of this matters if its not against the law... Do it and as many say, concealed means concealed... I just graduated and carried on campus daily. I'd have been crazy not to.
    For those worried about being caught, if you are discovered like someone somehow makes contact with you and your gun and they are aware of what it is then just leave in fear of being confronted/reported and then tread lightly until you know if campus authorities will look into it as they have been rumored to do. This was my thinking at least as I weighed my options. Most schools say "may face expulsion" its not a given, while I get the possible repercussions I don't see the issue. Many people including myself were full time carriers on campus without any issues.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I don't know why all of this matters if its not against the law... Do it and as many say, concealed means concealed... I just graduated and carried on campus daily. I'd have been crazy not to.
    For those worried about being caught, if you are discovered like someone somehow makes contact with you and your gun and they are aware of what it is then just leave in fear of being confronted/reported and then tread lightly until you know if campus authorities will look into it as they have been rumored to do. This was my thinking at least as I weighed my options. Most schools say "may face expulsion" its not a given, while I get the possible repercussions I don't see the issue. Many people including myself were full time carriers on campus without any issues.
    exactly!
    unless you need to use it or you run your mouth, nobody should know you are carrying.

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    exactly!
    unless you need to use it or you run your mouth, nobody should know you are carrying.

Just remember, if you get injured in a car accident, or trip and fall down some stairs, and require a hospital trip, don't call an ambulance. There are other ways to be discovered, besides actually needing to use your firearm. If you have a friend that also carries, and is in most of the same classes, then you two need a plan that you'll each get the others firearm off them in case of an injury that doesn't allow you to get yourself to the hospital.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    Just remember, if you get injured in a car accident, or trip and fall down some stairs, and require a hospital trip, don't call an ambulance. There are other ways to be discovered, besides actually needing to use your firearm. If you have a friend that also carries, and is in most of the same classes, then you two need a plan that you'll each get the others firearm off them in case of an injury that doesn't allow you to get yourself to the hospital.

While I don't normally advocate off-body carry, carrying on campus, as a student, might be the exception. All students carry backpacks or bags of some kind. Maxpedition makes bags with hidden compartments for holsters.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    While I don't normally advocate off-body carry, carrying on campus, as a student, might be the exception. All students carry backpacks or bags of some kind. Maxpedition makes bags with hidden compartments for holsters.

Yeah you just have to be extra watchful of your bag... Awhile back some kid got in trouble because he had been at the library printing something (I not 100% on why) or some junk and took off without his backpack. His bag had a gun in it so he ran back and his back was gone. Thankfully the bag was gone because someone turned it in. The bad thing was that when people went through it to find out who it belonged to rather than waiting for it to be claimed a firearm was found and police called. I know he wasn't kicked out of school but he did get in a little trouble.

I think I read this on INGO maybe? I remember it specifically but I am not are where to find it after a search!

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Pressures? Really? No offense, but if you think you are facing such extreme pressure now, just wait!
    You value school over life? Seriously?:rolleyes:

Edit: if human life seems to not have a value to you, then I'm afraid you won't understand my point!
    Students owe over $1 trillion in debt and you think we don't feel any pressure. How comical you sound. I never said I had it bad or was looking for sympathy but I will point out their are significant financial retributions a student faces if caught. You mean to tell me this is irrelevant? I'm sorry but you have clearly missed my point which I will reiterate. It should be illegal to ban the right to carry on public university and college campuses.

Friend, it is very naive to assume "human life does not have a value" to me. I understand your point and see clearly that you would take the risk of carrying. I will not for the reasons stated above and will say again that these schools should not be allowed to have these polices in place.

With all due respect (which I sincerely mean), have you attended college in the last 5-10 years? The financial burden does result in pressures on the student. Once they get out of school, the first thing they get to do is start paying on their loans, so it's very real. Thankfully I am able to pay for mine through hard work.

Top Bottom