• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sheltowee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Seymour
    Does anyone have fishing gear in their BOB?

Does anyone have a recommendation on a good, small and light fishing rig? Plus what is your tackle equipment list for your BOB?

NVG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    SEast
    Does the "Pocket Fisherman" by Ronco count?? J/K
    I have a couple of 2 pc poles stashed away. 1 med lite and 1med hvy. besides from small fishing kits. No collapsible poles. I keep a small spool of Spiderwire and a few Gamakatsu hooks in handle of my knife.
    Don't mistaken me, a Pocket Fisherman would be better than nothing.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Does the "Pocket Fisherman" by Ronco count?? J/K

I remember the popeils pocket fishermen. I also remember standing on a dock several different times and seeing people fishing with them. The actually seemed like they worked just fine. Of course I had a new state of the art rod and a snazzy open face spinning reel, so I was not going to admit the $9.95 pocket fisherman was pulling in just as many fish as my $100 gear.

shortbusbob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    east
    Google Penn Fishing Rod . Also search micro fishing on E-bay . Be prepaired to spend some time shopping . enjoy .

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Amazon has all sorts of telescoping fishing rods. Personally I would just take a cheapie two piece spin casting rod and strap it to the back of the pack. Why take up any extra room in a bag? Some of the kids rods are really lightweight. Don't like the color? Just hit it with some Kylon and it can be super tacti-cool. A few size 4 hooks, small split shot and a couple bobbers are all you need for tackle. I do have some hooks, line, sinker and maybe even a small bobber stashed in an old 35mm film container.

I actually dont have any plans to bug out, but I do keep some stuff in a bag.

OP I see you are in Seymour. I probably have an extra rod laying around now that my son is graduating to adult tackle.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    A fishing rod would probably be handy, but for a bob I'd say learn how to use/set limb lines, throw line, etc. You can pack a lot of hooks, line, sinkers, etc in the space of even a very small rod and reel. And you can set them, and go do something else while they fish for you. Learn how to make fish traps too, won't require you to carry anything, and also has the benefit of fishing for you while you set up camp, gather supplies, sleep, etc.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I'd vote Tenkara USA. I have an Iwana rod, it is a fish-catching machine. Think of it as simplified, lightweight fly fishing. Lots of fun, practical. You can catch multiple fish on the same fly.

Tenkara, simple fly fishing method from Japan, uses only a telescopic tenkara rod, tenkara line and tenkara fly: Index

Reminds me of a cane pole, but with flies rather than a bobber and bait. You could probably make a serviceable one in the field from a small sapling or branch. My Dad used to have a cane pole but it was a good bit bigger than those, iirc it extended out to about 20-25 ft.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    In a b.o.b. no, I have no other fishing equipment than plenty of line, hooks, flies, and a few rubber worms that all fit in a altoid tin. I wouldn't be planning on much fishing if I ever had to bug out. Having said that, plenty of line, hooks, flies, and worms can fit in an altoid tin that you could outfit a half dozen people with freshly cut saplings for a quick riverside meal.

For a hiking fishing rig, which is where I think you're trying to get at, I'd take a look at one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Shakespeare-...avel+fishing+rod&refinements=p_89:Shakespeare
    I recently hiked into the woods with a 4 piece fly rod that packs up very nicely, but when finding a pond in the woods that's not maintained you'll have too many low hanging branches and brush along the shore to make any kind of a fly rod impractical. I prefer a fly rod so that was a little heartbreaking for me personally. For all practical purposes, I really wished I'd have taken the little shakespear rod I linked to above. It's light, it's handy, it works well, and it's the most fishing equipment you'd ever need on a "bug out".

Just my two cents.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I have a Coleman telescoping pole in my camping gear. Reel is removable. Also have a small tackle "bag" with lures, bobbers, line, hooks etc. Probably too much to carry for bugging out but it's pretty neat.

YoungGunLover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    In Florida I watch guys hand-lining in the ocean. Don't need a rod. Get a current copy of The Backwoodsman for a good article on hand-lining with a spindle rig the author put together.

Top Bottom