• Status
    Not open for further replies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm late to this party. Are we against all loyalty oaths now? I've missed something.

I've kinda always believed that being loyal was a good thing. I've even taken a couple oaths. The first one posted by JAL sounds sorta familiar. I may have even taken this one a while ago.

http://www.in.gov/judiciary/rules/ad_dis/#_Toc477259914

Loyalty....we used to think some things were worth being loyal to. Go figure.

Wait'll I explain to my wife of 24 years and 10 months that loyalty oaths aren't really a thing anymore.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I'm late to this party. Are we against all loyalty oaths now? I've missed something.

I've kinda always believed that being loyal was a good thing. I've even taken a couple oaths. The first one posted by JAL sounds sorta familiar. I may have even taken this one a while ago.

Wait'll I explain to my wife of 24 years and 10 months that loyalty oaths aren't really a thing anymore.

:popcorn:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

You could argue that you don't need to take an oath to be loyal.
    I never took an oath to be loyal to my friends and I bet you were loyal to your now wife before you officially married her.

Also taking an oath doesn't make you necessarily loyal ... just look at all those politicians who took an oath of office to uplhold the constitution who are now trying to pass unticonstitutional laws.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    You could argue that you don't need to take an oath to be loyal.
    I never took an oath to be loyal to my friends and I bet you were loyal to your now wife before you officially married her.

Also taking an oath doesn't make you necessarily loyal ... just look at all those politicians who took an oath of office to uplhold the constitution who are now trying to pass unticonstitutional laws.

I agree.

So if one is going to be loyal, what's the problem with an oath?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    There isn't a problem with taking oaths. It is kinda silly to politicize them though such that one feels compelled to take an oath for the purpose of not being mob-shamed.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Well, let's look at this logically. If you had refused to take the initial oath, to your bride to be, I assume you would have been without the pretty lady that today you call your wife.... and rightfully so. If you recanted on your oath today, I again assume that you would eventually be without a wife.... unless you have a really big.......... bank account. So, wealth aside, there's substantial, tangible, negative outcome from not taking this oath. Do you wish to apply that to all things?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    There isn't a problem with taking oaths. It is kinda silly to politicize them though such that one feels compelled to take an oath for the purpose of not being mob-shamed.

I don't disagree.

What I am suggesting is that people stop refusing to do things because someone else wants you to. That's what snotty teenagers do. If you would take an oath...or make a pledge...in a vacuum, don't be reactionary in refusing to do it. Do what you do.

Well, let's look at this logically. If you had refused to take the initial oath, to your bride to be, I assume you would have been without the pretty lady that today you call your wife.... and rightfully so. If you recanted on your oath today, I again assume that you would eventually be without a wife.... unless you have a really big.......... bank account. So, wealth aside, there's substantial, tangible, negative outcome from not taking this oath. Do you wish to apply that to all things?

See above. Don't let your perceived "enemy" control what you do. Do what you do.

This reaction against Trump...or whoever; "He says do it, so I won't", puts Trump in the position of Br'er Rabbit being begged to be thrown in the briar patch. It's exactly what he wants. Eliminate him from the equation.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I don't disagree.

What I am suggesting is that people stop refusing to do things because someone else wants you to. That's what snotty teenagers do. If you would take an oath...or make a pledge...in a vacuum, don't be reactionary in refusing to do it. Do what you do.

See above. Don't let your perceived "enemy" control what you do. Do what you do.

This logic is equally applied to "friend."

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don't disagree.

This reaction against Trump...or whoever; "He says do it, so I won't", puts Trump in the position of Br'er Rabbit being begged to be thrown in the briar patch. It's exactly what he wants. Eliminate him from the equation.

"I accept your logic; we are on the same side."
    General Kalani, Droid Army, Star Wars Rebels S3:4.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    "I accept your logic; we are on the same side."
    General Kalani, Droid Army, Star Wars Rebels S3:4.

Wow, you really pulled that one out of nowhere.... but in my epic nerdiness, I know the exact episode... and all the chatter about probabilities.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Wow, you really pulled that one out of nowhere.... but in my epic nerdiness, I know the exact episode... and all the chatter about probabilities.

It stuck in my head from when I first heard it. I say it IRL all the time when I agree with someone. I wish Rebels was better production quality. But the writing is generally pretty good.

Speaking of SWR, ever think the Bendu reminds you a little of ATM, at least in manners?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Sort of back on topic, I may to have to move Bortles off the short list of medeocre starting QB's Kaepernick is better than.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom