• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    May be a silly question....but. Can coffee grounds be washed down the sink if you are on a mound type septic? My wife bought me a french press coffee maker for x-mas. If you've never used a french press to make coffee, you have to try it. I will NEVER use an electric coffee maker again. Anyhoo, I was just wondering because the press doesn't use a paper filter like a regular coffee maker does. I don't know what to do with the grounds besides wash them down the sink.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I don't know if you can put them in the septic, but Pami's right. The caffeine in the grounds does wonders for your houseplants, or you can mix it into your mulch.

Barring that, can't you put them in your trash?

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    We throw ours in the trash, we don't want the wildlife to become depended on handouts. There nothing worst than angry earthworms that haven't had their morning grounds.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I don't know if they still do.... but you used to be able to go to Starbucks and get all the free grounds you want to add to your garden. :rockwoot::patriot:
    :cheers:

As a person who lives at Starbucks, yes, they still do this. I usually only see the bags out on the stands in the spring, though, but I'm sure if you ask they'd hook you up with a couple bags. :)

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    You know that putting coffee grounds on gardens is a wast of time in Indiana because of our soil PH.

This practice was started in the eastern states where their soil PH need to be buffered.

Dr Dirt says so :D

Because of the kind of fish that I keep I have learned a lot about PH and hardness and if you do some searching online you will see that we (Dr Dirt and I) am right.

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    As a matter of reality, We have a worm compost bin and coffee grounds are very good for the compost...and you plants. Very yummie indeed, Starbucks use to bag up and give their old coffee grounds away for compost etc. Does anyone know if they still do that?

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    As a person who lives at Starbucks, yes, they still do this. I usually only see the bags out on the stands in the spring, though, but I'm sure if you ask they'd hook you up with a couple bags. :)

As a matter of reality, We have a worm compost bin and coffee grounds are very good for the compost...and you plants. Very yummie indeed, Starbucks use to bag up and give their old coffee grounds away for compost etc. Does anyone know if they still do that?

As noted above. :)

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    You know that putting coffee grounds on gardens is a wast of time in Indiana because of our soil PH.
    It is a good thing to test the soil pH. Most coffee grounds are about 6.9 pH, so adding them should not hurt anything. Leaves will make an alkaline compost, so you should not use them if you are trying to go more acid.

Top Bottom