• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brimaster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    Lake County / Eagle
    If this was already posted sorry about that and mods please delete.

Got this today from the Civilian Marksmanship Program and thought I would past it along...

Dear CMP Family,

The CMP advises to not use .30/06 ammunition in M1 Garands, 1903s, and 1903A3s that is loaded beyond 50,000 CUP and has a bullet weight more than 172gr. These rifles are at least 70 years old and were not designed for max loads and super heavy bullets. Always wear hearing and eye protection when firing an M1 Garand, 1903 and/or 1903A3 rifle.

This warning is an update/addition to the Ammunition section in the Read This First manual enclosed with each rifle shipment (M1 Garand manual-page 6 and M1903 manual-page 10).

Civilian Marksmanship Program

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I got the same alert. I always thought it made sense to use period correct ammo...some folks apparently are making examples of themselves.
    THIS. New owners are not reading the manuals. I remember seeing the warnings when I bought mine. I bet some noobs are having trouble finding Garand specific loads and are just feeding it "whatever". Probably more than one report of a catastrophic failure is what prompted the warning.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    They're just now issuing this bulletin? Highpower shooters have been feeding 1903s and Garands LR loads for decades. I had to go out and reference my recipe book for my .30-06 LR loads; 175 gr. pills over near-max powder loads. Both my reloading manuals (old and new) show loads with IMR 4064 & 4895 that approach 60K CUP with no representation of "FOR GOD's SAKE MAN, DON'T SHOOT THIS THROUGH A GARAND!!!"

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    The 03 & 03A3 receiver are plenty strong enough, but you could bend op rods or damage the bolt on the M1, but this just experience.
    And in all honesty a 172 grainer (at max load) out of an 03/03A3 is punishment

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    The 03 & 03A3 receiver are plenty strong enough, but you could bend op rods or damage the bolt on the M1, but this just experience.
    And in all honesty a 172 grainer (at max load) out of an 03/03A3 is punishment
    I read several years ago there was an issue with some 1903's and how the recievers were heat teated before a certian date. They were having a few catastrophic failures with more moderen ammo.

Enough that it was more than an isolated case.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I got this email too, kind of surprised by it. One of the 1st things I learned when I was researching how to properly hand load for an M1 was that currently manufactured sporting ammunition is not appropriate for that rifle. I thought it best to try to duplicate the ammo that was designed for it, and settled on 47-49 grains of IMR 4064 or 4895 and a 150 grain bullet. I haven't read the manual lately, but I am guessing it probably has a warning to not use commercial sporting ammunition.

I suppose the current market makes it difficult to obtain the appropriate components for making your own hands loads, and the days of cheap HXP from CMP are long gone, so maybe out of desperation and ignorance people have found and used inappropriate ammunition.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I got this email too, kind of surprised by it. One of the 1st things I learned when I was researching how to properly hand load for an M1 was that currently manufactured sporting ammunition is not appropriate for that rifle. I thought it best to try to duplicate the ammo that was designed for it, and settled on 47-49 grains of IMR 4064 or 4895 and a 150 grain bullet. I haven't read the manual lately, but I am guessing it probably has a warning to not use commercial sporting ammunition.

I suppose the current market makes it difficult to obtain the appropriate components for making your own hands loads, and the days of cheap HXP from CMP are long gone, so maybe out of desperation and ignorance people have found and used inappropriate ammunition.
    PPU and I think Hornady and maybe others make "Garand-safe" commercial ammo. You can also get an adjustable gas plug which allows you to use hotter loads without damaging the op-rod.

SpydieSig

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 26, 2019
    Lafayette
    PPU and I think Hornady and maybe others make "Garand-safe" commercial ammo. You can also get an adjustable gas plug which allows you to use hotter loads without damaging the op-rod.

I have run one of those adjustable plugs in mine for several years with no ill effects and modern sporting loads. Highly suggest them. Either the Schuster or Garand Gear plug.

Top Bottom