• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Delmar

Master
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Is there a thread around here about cleaning an inline muzzleloader? If not perhaps someone could suggest a youtube video that you think is good?

bstewrat3

Master
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have only used Triple Seven powder in my muzzleloaders and use soapy water and T/C Bore Butter after the days shooting also. I do not know if the same methods will work with actual Black Powder.

As for cleaning between shots I use one wet patch with T/C No. 13 Bore Cleaner, then one dry patch, followed by a patch with T/C Bore Butter, and a final dry patch before the next load.

finity

Master
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    A word of caution about Bore Butter (Natural Lube 1000).

I cleaned my old Hawken with #13 Bore Cleaner then lubed it with BB/NL1K. I put it in the safe. When I got it out again about 6 months later it took forever, 2 bronze brushes & a crap load of patches to get the rust cleaned out of the barrel.

Lesson here: BB/NL1K is good for lubing between shots but don't count on it to protect against long term corrosion.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    For years I used a mixer of 1 part hydrogen peroxide, 1 part rubbing alcohol {denatured is better}, and .75 Murphy's Oil Soap. You avoided introducing water into your barrel. I also never used any petroleum based lube, it seemed to turn BP fouling into tar. This made it almost impossible to get more than 2 or 3 shots before the need to clean. While with my homemade solvent and tallow, lard, or one of the commercial natural lubes I could shoot and entire match.............:@ya:.........<>< Duce

captpaul

Marksman
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    Switched to 777 and cleanup is much easier and less offensive in odor. My Knight Disc bolt comes out with a "c" tool then I swab the barrel with hot soapy water in the sink. Take to garage and blow out with compressed air then dry patch. Finish with a coat of EEZOX which is my favorite rust preventative. If there is a lot of plastic fouling from sabots I will use brake cleaner or some sort of solvent and a brush. I had a Knight MK-85 rust badly from forgetting to clean it over the winter (I loaned it out). Also, anti-seize grease on breech plug before reinstalling.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom