• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    INGO'ers get cheap pretty quickly. Common items that get priced right like Glocks and other auto's will usually sell okay but higher priced items or more unusual things may take awhile.

I agree. Though I think all the $500 Glocks I see may be a little on the high side. What's a new one cost anyway?

I have found that higher end stuff does not sell as well on INGO. I find that somewhat perplexing as it appears we have a fairly affluent group here. Definitely more affluent than me. And if I can find a way to afford a $1200 pistol or a $2000 shotgun, I'm sure other's on here can to.

That said, I have been able to sell everything on INGO. But I do bump some items for weeks, maybe even months.

What I don't understand is that I may have 500 views, but no offers. Man, if I see something I want and it's not marked up astronomically, I'll contact you and ask you what you would take for it. And then make an offer.

But, then again I am in sales so I'm comfortable with negotiating and my feelings won't get hurt if you don't like my offer or counteroffer.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I agree. Though I think all the $500 Glocks I see may be a little on the high side. What's a new one cost anyway?

I have found that higher end stuff does not sell as well on INGO. I find that somewhat perplexing as it appears we have a fairly affluent group here. Definitely more affluent than me. And if I can find a way to afford a $1200 pistol or a $2000 shotgun, I'm sure other's on here can to.

That said, I have been able to sell everything on INGO. But I do bump some items for weeks, maybe even months.

What I don't understand is that I may have 500 views, but no offers. Man, if I see something I want and it's not marked up astronomically, I'll contact you and ask you what you would take for it. And then make an offer.

But, then again I am in sales so I'm comfortable with negotiating and my feelings won't get hurt if you don't like my offer or counteroffer.
    If I looked at your ad, first thought is “Bloomington, too far” and move on. On offers, depends on how far apart we are. If you have $1600 on a gun that I might be willing to go $1200, I figure we are too far apart and move on.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If I looked at your ad, first thought is “Bloomington, too far” and move on. On offers, depends on how far apart we are. If you have $1600 on a gun that I might be willing to go $1200, I figure we are too far apart and move on.

That makes sense. It is a fairly big state and I don't like to go more than an hour unless I'm heading somewhere that will take me close to where you are.

25% higher than a person's top dollar would be a stretch. I would probably pass on that too.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've picked up a few deals, being the second in line.

Maybe things fell through. Maybe the seller decided I'd be easier to trade with than whoever else might have been first in line?

Maybe I'm the buyer that got bumped back in line for being a DB on the discussion forum?

I think categorizing all of INGO is a mistake. It says more about the blanket thrower than it does about INGO. :twocents:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've picked up a few deals, being the second in line.

Maybe things fell through. Maybe the seller decided I'd be easier to trade with than whoever else might have been first in line?

Maybe I'm the buyer that got bumped back in line for being a DB on the discussion forum?

I think categorizing all of INGO is a mistake. It says more about the blanket thrower than it does about INGO. :twocents:

Solid points.

I have bought and sold many items here. No firearms section is a favorite with me.

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    I use the classifieds too much...
    I still have a couple of glocks I bought from CM but he made me swear to secrecy about him owning them...

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I wish people would follow the rules about leaving the price in the ad after it's closed. Or even say "it sold for X". I do like going back to see what things sell for.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I wish people would follow the rules about leaving the price in the ad after it's closed. Or even say "it sold for X". I do like going back to see what things sell for.

Yeah we would like that as well...….:):
    Please don't remove your ad content.

Just a friendly reminder to please leave your pricing information in place when your item sells. This helps people get a feel for what the going rate of a particular gun is. Thanks! :ingo:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handgu...e_posting.html

8. Close your thread once your item sells. DO NOT remove the pricing that was in place as it will help cut down on the "What would be a good starting price to sell my XXX". Do not bump your ad by stating that the item is sold. Simply edit your first/original post and state that the item has been sold. Then close your ad.

Thanks for your cooperation.
    INGO Staff

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I like to see the prices left in the ad too, but if I passed something up because the ad said $700 firm, and then it says it sold for $550, I'm pissed. If it says firm, I respect that and don't even make an offer.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I like to see the prices left in the ad too, but if I passed something up because the ad said $700 firm, and then it says it sold for $550, I'm pissed. If it says firm, I respect that and don't even make an offer.

One should never put "firm" in a sales ad. You can be firm, but don't put it out there that you are totally inflexible. Just my opinion, sure, but you are trying to reach the widest audience you can. Why limit it? Snap may have offered you $10 less than your asking price just to feel good about the deal. Would you not accept that?

Plus, things change.

Not really a fan of OBO either. What if your best offer on a $500 Glock was $200? Are you going to be a person of your word and honor it?

Learn how to negotiate. It's one of those life skills that is good to have.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    One should never put "firm" in a sales ad. You can be firm, but don't put it out there that you are totally inflexible. Just my opinion, sure, but you are trying to reach the widest audience you can. Why limit it? Snap may have offered you $10 less than your asking price just to feel good about the deal. Would you not accept that?

Plus, things change.

Not really a fan of OBO either. What if your best offer on a $500 Glock was $200? Are you going to be a person of your word and honor it?

I am a fair negotiator with years of practice but it seems this new breed of cat is ruthless at times. I do not take well at all to pushy.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I am a fair negotiator with years of practice but it seems this new breed of cat is ruthless at times. I do not take well at all to pushy.

I have had a couple potential buyers try that with me. It doesn't go well for them. Assertive i'm okay with. Get aggressive with me and you lost any chance of dealing with me.

That goes both in my personal dealings with people and in my professional life.

The customer may always be right. Until they are wrong. I have had shops improperly clean engine blocks and wreck a set of piston rings or wipe a lobe off a camshaft due to improper prelube/start up threaten me when I wouldn't buy them a new engine when it was clear it was their incompetence that caused the failure. They got nothing from me.

I have had similar situations where the mechanic/machinist said, "hey Greg, I messed up. Can you help me? They got a complete new engine kit from me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have had a couple potential buyers try that with me. It doesn't go well for them. Assertive i'm okay with. Get aggressive with me and you lost any chance of dealing with me.

That goes both in my personal dealings with people and in my professional life.

The customer may always be right. Until they are wrong. I have had shops improperly clean engine blocks and wreck a set of piston rings or wipe a lobe off a camshaft due to improper prelube/start up threaten me when I wouldn't buy them a new engine when it was clear it was their incompetence that caused the failure. They got nothing from me.

I have had similar situations where the mechanic/machinist said, "hey Greg, I messed up. Can you help me? They got a complete new engine kit from me.

That has worked with me many times.
    People that are walked through the process of maintaining a brand new HVAC system and yet fail to do any maint. at all on it. System eats itself due to dirty outside coil or a filter that resembles a carpet (usually both). Owner expects/demands I fix it on my dime because its in Warr.
    Yeah that does not go well for them.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

Plus, things change.

I have seen people put firm, so I didn't make an offer and then they drop their price a hundred bucks the next week. It wasn't very firm apparently. At that point, I don't want to screw with it.

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    Only issue I have had with selling on here is some of the overly aggressive buyers. Not only trying to bully their way into buying a gun that I have already agreed to sell to another member, but even at times offering even less than what the other buyer agreed to. That is not only rude, but down right insulting.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't get the ones that put the price in the title of the ad. They're kinda stuck with that price once they do that. At least I've never had any luck editing the title of a thread or ad. They can change it within the thread of course, but if I see a price that looks too high (to me) in the title, I'm not likely to even look in the ad itself.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I don't get the ones that put the price in the title of the ad. They're kinda stuck with that price once they do that. At least I've never had any luck editing the title of a thread or ad. They can change it within the thread of course, but if I see a price that looks too high (to me) in the title, I'm not likely to even look in the ad itself.

I have noticed that too. And I have never had any luck editing the title either.

Top Bottom