• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    I'm going to my first official handgun training course this weekend and I was contemplating my next class. I wanna get some good rifle training and I was wondering if you folks could give me some advice about courses you've taken. Looking for testimonials on good civilian training.
    Any links or names of schools in the state or nearby would be appreciated.Links to after action reports within this site or otherwise would be ok too.
    Thanks.;)

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I took the high powered rifle clinic at Wildcat valley rifle and pistol club (just North east of Lafayette). The people were EXTREMELY nice, professional, and knowledgeable. It was awesome for the beginner, focused on basic marksmanship and designed to get people interested in NRA/cmp style target competition. That may or may not be the angle you are looking for. It does however satisfy one of the requirements to be able to purchase from the CMP.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    "Rifle training" covers a broad area.

If you are talking Highpower-ish type training, the suggested Appleseed or Highpower clinics are good. I think the Highpower clinics give you a little more since there is usually a better student-to-instructor ratio and they are often spread out over a longer period (like every Saturday for a month) so you can work on the week's lesson for a week before the next clinic. A drawback is that these clinics are usually held in the spring at the start of HP season, so you have probably missed them until next year.

If you are talking more defensive/tactical training, then I'd contact Sheriff Ken Campbell at the Boone County Sheriff's Dept. He runs and hosts classes throughout the year that are open to non-LE. Between the off site Gunsite classes, and hosting Pat Rogers and Louis Awerbuck, there is ample opportunity to find something there. 765-483-3359 or KCampbell@co.boone.in.us

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    I practice for NRA Highpower anywhere from 2 to 5 days a week at Riley, In.
    I'd be willing to work with anyone regarding the basics and/or 3 position shooting.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm going to my first official handgun training course this weekend and I was contemplating my next class. I wanna get some good rifle training and I was wondering if you folks could give me some advice about courses you've taken. Looking for testimonials on good civilian training.

What kind of rifle training do you want? Basic marksmanship? Competition (what kind?)? Self-defense?

With whom are you doing your pistol class?

For pure, classic rifle marksmanship, it's hard to beat the Appleseed Program. They're also doing a very good thing in a promoting the idea of the rifleman, teaching the skills, and keeping the history of the rifleman in America alive.

If you're interested in the defensive use of the rifle/carbine, a variety of first rate instructors teach at the Boone County Sheriff's range every year. I recommend either Louis Awerbuck (YFA) or Sheriff Ken (who teaches offsite Gunsite classes).

If you can wait until the spring, John Farnam (DTI) comes to Indiana every year as well (Rochester).

If you're interested in the defensive use of a rifle, and/or you're interested in using a rifle for practical/action/3-gun/multi-gun matches, we may also be able to help: Adaptive Consulting & Training. We're "local" and our classes are either half day or one day long. We also do private instruction/tutoring.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    You'll learn the basics with the Appleseed Program. It will get you ready for 3 position highpower shooting. After that, move on and up to a carbine course or two for relevant defensive needs.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Hey guys. Thanks for all the responses. I was really looking for information on rifle training for defense or whatever you wanna call it. I don't need the remedial stuff although I don't mind taking a starter course in order to qualify for a more advanced series of training.
    I assumed the handgun course I just finished the first half of today( with my wife) wouldn't teach me too much. I was wrong. The self defense shooting aspect really opened my eyes into the muddy aspects of using a handgun in defense of yourself or someone else.
    Thanks for the links ,I'll check them out.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    No slammin here but, I can shoot, I can shoot real well as a matter of fact, BUT, I have been humbled by my scores at the Appleseed shoots. I highly encourage you to come to an Appleseed. The fellowship and rifleman training are worth every minute spent, you cannot leave, without more than you brought to the line. The orange hats run a strict and safe line as well as offer coaching and encouragement to boot. This,comes from men and women, who have EARNED, the privlige, to be called a Rifleman.:patriot:

Top Bottom