• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • versuchstier147

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Indiana
    I work for a very large company. When I was was filling out one of the many papers I needed to read over and sign, I came across one that said something like -

having a firearm in company property for any reason is a terminatable offence. It is a company POLICY that I AGREED to by signing that paper. Bring a gun to work would be a breach of the contract.

Another page said I would recieve raises.

An Example, They added a new page to the backet several months down the road, that everyone had to sign. If you're caught using any type of tobacco product on company property, or ajacent to company property - you'll be terminated. And people have been. Smoking is not against the law, but you've signed a contract with your employer.

But, I will never sign a piece of paper allowing anyone to look in my locked glove box.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    I work for a very large company. When I was was filling out one of the many papers I needed to read over and sign, I came across one that said something like -

having a firearm in company property for any reason is a terminatable offence. It is a company POLICY that I AGREED to by signing that paper. Bring a gun to work would be a breach of the contract.

Another page said I would recieve raises.

An Example, They added a new page to the backet several months down the road, that everyone had to sign. If you're caught using any type of tobacco product on company property, or ajacent to company property - you'll be terminated. And people have been. Smoking is not against the law, but you've signed a contract with your employer.

But, I will never sign a piece of paper allowing anyone to look in my locked glove box.

I thought the law made it illegal for companies to have that policy against firearms or part of the condition for employment. IOW, The new law acts restricts the company's reach; it does not extend the employee's rights.
    Tobacco is legal, but a policy against tobacco isn't illegal.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...having a firearm in company property for any reason is a terminatable offence. It is a company POLICY that I AGREED to by signing that paper.

Doubtful. More than likely all you signed was an acknowledgment that you were made aware of the policy.

You don't have to. If you don't allow them to look, they can't... but you get fired.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I thought the law made it illegal for companies to have that policy against firearms or part of the condition for employment. IOW, The new law acts restricts the company's reach; it does not extend the employee's rights.
    Tobacco is legal, but a policy against tobacco isn't illegal.

Then why is a policy against firearms on the property illegal? And don't give me the circular argument that the law now makes it so. What is the principle difference that says disallowing firearms on employer property is wrong but prohibiting tobacco products isn't.

Personally, I'm waiting for the "can't park on employee property" or better yet, "must pay to do so." And I hope it's a lot!

SedahDrol

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Then why is a policy against firearms on the property illegal? And don't give me the circular argument that the law now makes it so. What is the principle difference that says disallowing firearms on employer property is wrong but prohibiting tobacco products isn't.

Personally, I'm waiting for the "can't park on employee property" or better yet, "must pay to do so." And I hope it's a lot!

Fortunately the only thing that makes something illegal is a law prohibiting it. So that is what makes a policy against firearms in locked vehicles by certain employers illegal starting July 1. It is not a circular argument.

As far as reasoning behind law. It could be you have a 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms. Indiana State constitution also grants that right. You do not have a constitutionally granted right to use tobacco. In fact tobacco is more often than not being seen as a public health hazard. So in interest of protecting the public we will probably continue on seeing more restrictions being put on its use. As far as smokeless tobacco goes iit could be a littering issue. Tobacco juice stains are tough to remove (but then again is it any different than chewing gum). Another common reason for banning all tobacco use is that it makes for a healthier employee (long term). A healthy employee is a productive employee. Remember all the employer cares about is your productivity. They don't care about your well being. It's the bottom line that means anything to them.

Banning weapons at work isn't about protecting the employees, it's about protecting the company from it's employees.

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Race, religion, gender, disability, etc. are all covered under the anti-discrimination laws, "gun owner" is not. So in your scenario, collecting keys from black employees would be illegal because we have laws against discrimination based on race. I wonder if the "key ploy" could be argued as being "unsafe?" If there were some emergency and an employee or employees needed to leave they wouldn't be able to do so until they track down the "key master." Also, (if I were the employer) I would be worried about lots of theft claims. It would be pretty easy for someone to claim they have items missing from their vehicle and that their employer had the keys to gain access to it.

As someone else stated, just don't make it known that you have firearms in the car and all will be okay.

It doesn't matter what group the discrimination is done against, discrimination is discrimination. A boss would be singling out a group of people just because of a trait they shared. Just because it doesn't explicitly include "gun owner" that is a group of people. Their rights are protected by the constitution and this additional bill that will come into effect July 1st.

Top Bottom