• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pinshootrs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Was at a match this weekend, the RO in charge was smoking a cigar, had to smell it and dodge it while pasting targets, then when I was up to shoot had to deal with it face to face. Any comments.

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    You might ask if he would mind standing down wind of you.

If he's an ass about it let the club officers know that you won't be returning and why. Seems that a lot of clubs want people shooting to help bring in some money.

Where was it at?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Was at a match this weekend, the RO in charge was smoking a cigar, had to smell it and dodge it while pasting targets, then when I was up to shoot had to deal with it face to face. Any comments.

Did you ask him politely if he might either move you elsewhere on the range or perhaps hold off on his stogie while you were there, or did you just stay quiet and take it until you got here on INGO?

Asking politely does tend to work wonders-most smokers I've met are so unaccustomed to good manners regarding their habit that they would happily accommodate a reasonable request.

For the record, I despise tobacco smoke and want nothing to do with the disgusting stuff... I wish it had never been discovered. Be that as it may, however, it was, and it's here, in our daily lives, and it is completely legal for people to use. I defend their right to use what they wish, but I also stand up for my own rights as well. There are compromises; I won't try to tell you you cannot smoke, ever, but I will ask you not to do so around me. Asking, IMHO, is the key.

Blessings,
    Bill

mkelsey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Springville
    Asking politely does tend to work wonders-most smokers I've met are so unaccustomed to good manners regarding their habit that they would happily accommodate a reasonable request.

Bill

:yesway:

I have been smoke free for a little over a year now. When I was still smoking a pack a day I was always happy to comply to the people that were polite about asking me to move or put it out. The people who were jerks about it on the other hand normally got treated exactly like they treated me.

jason conley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    WEST SIDE OF INDY
    :xmad:cigar and cigarette smokers are being discriminated against. I will gladly go somewere else if asked. Government telling buisness owners how to run there buisnesses by not allowing smoking in there own place. What happened to freedom of choice or pursuit of happiness? Smoking is a choice and we have to listen to all these non smoking ads and commercials. This is another freedom that is being stripped by those who only act in our best intrest, because we are too stupid to make these decisions on our own.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    range sop

Check the range SOP. If it doesn't prohibit smoking then there is not much a club officer or anyone can do. I would politely ask the gentleman to refrain from smoking while I was on the range.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    1) change squads.
    2) ask for different RO when shooting.
    3) use it as an opportunity to learn to block out distractions when on the line.

personally, after a day of sweating, sun tan lotion, and bug spray, I think a stogie could only improve the nasal perception other have of me... in other words, it could be worse.

-rvb

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I have not smoked a cigar in three years. I smoked them like I was Winston CHurchill for several years before for that. I don't mind when someone lights one up around me. If you can't take it change squads. HTFU Steffan!

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Ummmm.......... 'ya know. Some of us are allergic to smoke, so saying HTFU to us is like telling a diabetic to stop being a pus$y and eat a piece of cake!!!!
    dunno.gif

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Be Polite

Pinshooter;
    I think this brings up a good point. If you ever have issues at Friday Night Steel, please let me know. We want to provide the best shooting environment possible, and we want people to come back again and again. If I were in your shoes, I would politely ask the head range officer about their smoking policies, and explain if you have any allergies that could cause a problem. I know we have kids that show up to our matches, and that most parents wouldn't allow their kids to be exposed to that smoke either. I'm sure that most people will be happy to comply, if you just politely, and professionally mention it to them. If no, then you've got to vote with your feet and move on to somewhere that is more accomodating to your concerns.
    Sincerely,
    Chuck

Top Bottom