• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Does anyone know if they have changed the Indiana criminal code lately in regards to Chinese throwing stars? I was at the Markland Mall (a Simon owned property) in Kokomo Wednesday and we looking around at the Nirvana store when lo and behold, I spotted two different models of throwing stars for sale. I mentioned to the wife that I was pretty sure it was still illegal for them to be selling them.

I find it rather ironic that this Simon Mall will ask you to leave if you are legally carrying a firearm but tolerate a vendor to sell illegal weapons on their property.

Anyone wish to weigh in on this?

MrYesterday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Evansville
    They sell them at the fairs and stuff all of the time. I think they're one of many things that they may be able to sell, but you can't legally buy and carry/use. lol

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    God it makes me mad to see any simple implement made illegal. :xmad: A throwing star. It's a hunk of metal that's sharp in spots not unlike a fork, or a knife...Why do we tolerate being told that we can't have that?
    Same with Lawn Darts. Illegal on a federal, A FREAKING FEDERAL, level. Darts are fine, spears are fine, rifles are fine, knives are fine, I can walk down the street with 15 loaded pistols openly and concealed and I'm within the law. But a giant dart you throw into dirt? No, oh Christ no, I can't be trusted with that! What if someone gets hurt.

I understand explosives and chemical compounds and things that can be dangerous to masses of people beyond the control of a basic user.

But no simple implement should be banned from adult ownership and use. What's next? No rocks in my yard? No baseball bats in my garage?
    Jesus what's the matter with people? :rolleyes:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    IC 35-47-5-12
    "Chinese throwing star" defined; related offenses
    Sec. 12. (a) A person who:
    (1) manufactures;
    (2) causes to be manufactured;
    (3) imports into Indiana;
    (4) keeps for sale;
    (5) offers or exposes for sale; or
    (6) gives, lends, or possesses;
    a Chinese throwing star commits a Class C misdemeanor.
    (b) As used in this section, "Chinese throwing star" means a throwing-knife, throwing-iron, or other knife-like weapon with blades set at different angles.
    As added by P.L.318-1985, SEC.2.

MrYesterday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Evansville
    IC 35-47-5-12
    (1) manufactures;
    (4) keeps for sale;
    The only thing NOT on that list is "looks at".

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Markland Mall you say........... :mallninja:

That's about 10 minutes from home...... crap, never mind, they closed at 9. :(

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    God it makes me mad to see any simple implement made illegal. :xmad: A throwing star. It's a hunk of metal that's sharp in spots not unlike a fork, or a knife...Why do we tolerate being told that we can't have that?
    Same with Lawn Darts. Illegal on a federal, A FREAKING FEDERAL, level. Darts are fine, spears are fine, rifles are fine, knives are fine, I can walk down the street with 15 loaded pistols openly and concealed and I'm within the law. But a giant dart you throw into dirt? No, oh Christ no, I can't be trusted with that! What if someone gets hurt.

I understand explosives and chemical compounds and things that can be dangerous to masses of people beyond the control of a basic user.

But no simple implement should be banned from adult ownership and use. What's next? No rocks in my yard? No baseball bats in my garage?
    Jesus what's the matter with people? :rolleyes:

Metal lawn darts are nationally-banned?

In response to your exceptions, which I've yet to find reading the Constitution, why are they beyond the control of a basic user?
    Just as with ALL other hazardous materials in this world - and there many of them, most no more complicated than bleach nor nail polish remover,
    proper precautions and a healthy respect for what you're working with goes a long way toward proper use.
    Also, which chemicals? Water is a "chemical." Oxygen is a "chemical." Everything is a chemical or a chemical compound or mixture of some kind:
    which ones should Government protect us from? It makes no sense. I'd accept some risk from everyone having almost anything the world,
    and the few things I would be uneasy with most people having are not explosives or corrosives at all, which I'm guessing - just guessing, is what you were referring to.
    I'd be uneasy with dioxins and PCBs and chromium-6 being available to people, for the sole reason that you cannot limit your exposure to them once they've reached your water supply; but if my neighbor feels like doing his house in plastique stucco, that's his choice.

He's not going to intentionally detonate his own property; no sane person would, nor would I worry about the vast majority. And for the few who would detonate their own houses on accident or maliciously - there's nothing to stop them now, look at meth houses. They take down whole city blocks at a time, with "non-explosive" "chemicals".
    If the Government can have it, I should be able to have it.

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    44142-best_lawn_darts.jpg

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Lawn darts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes sir. It's not illegal if you have some still. But it is illegal, I believe to sell or give them away, or to get them from someone else.

I may be wrong on some of that, it's been a while since I looked it up thoroughly.

Oh wow, I hate Goverment. :)::yesway: Good job saving us from ourselves, CPSC!
    Three kids died due to negligence in throwing them, and now we're banned from doing the one outdoor activity I enjoyed as a kid? Wow.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    IC 35-47-5-12
    (1) manufactures;
    (4) keeps for sale;
    (b) As used in this section, "Chinese throwing star" means a throwing-knife, throwing-iron, or other knife-like weapon with blades set at different angles.
    As added by P.L.318-1985, SEC.2.

I don't follow knife law as closely as I do gun law, so I've not given this a lot of thought, but just curious: Given the definition above, would a tomahawk (i.e. designed for throwing) fall into this definition?

Blessings,
    Bill

MrYesterday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Evansville
    I don't follow knife law as closely as I do gun law, so I've not given this a lot of thought, but just curious: Given the definition above, would a tomahawk (i.e. designed for throwing) fall into this definition?

Blessings,
    Bill

This one I know. No, a tomahawk is perfectly legal. In most cases, it's a singular blade, or a blade, and a piercing point. Strange thing is, a few throwing knives fall into this definition, and yet are still somehow legal. It's all confusing.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I sell throwing knives which are perfectly legal. They are doubled edged but do not have any "different angles". It is crazy but it is still the law. So far.

Top Bottom