• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Ran across this and it looks interesting. Currently selling at $350 and should go lower once the initial demand dies down a bit. Polymer upper, but that doesn't dissuade me really. All the reviews I am finding seem to be very promising, maybe it's time to build a dedicated AR instead of using the conversion.

Anyone have one or experience with one?

m422_large.jpg

Cope's Distributing

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Good find; I hadn't heard of that one. If it takes BDM/CMMG type mags, it would be a tempting alternative to the various drop-in conversion kits (Ciener, Spikes, CMMG). If it takes proprietary mags, less so.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    I did some research on this I even called and spoke to one of the distributors of these on gunbroker(real nice guy by the way, honest, answered all my questions).

These have a carbon fiber upper, the BCG is a multi-piece design. From my understanding after speaking with him these are the same uppers Velocity, Blackthorne, and several uppers are offering. Also currently being sold by CTD.

I eneded up buying a Spikes, even though it is only 22 I did not want a carbon fiber upper, Also I wanted the blowback design of Spikes verus the blow down design of this BCG.

See also...

AR22-100 [AR22-100] - $335.00 :: Velocity Firearms - Superb Products

ARR-341 - AR-15 .22LR Dedicated Upper From Velocity Firearms Complete Upper with 10 Round Black Dog Magazine

Upper half, .22 Long Rifle, M4A3 [AR-UH22M4A3] - $349.00 :: AK Parts kits - Superb Products

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    From my understanding after speaking with him these are the same uppers Velocity, Blackthorne, and several uppers are offering. Also currently being sold by CTD.

Interesting.

Desc. from Blackthorne's website:

AR15 / M16 A3 .22 LONG RIFLE Upper half with 16" M4 contour barrel and A3 Upper receiver. Item # AR-UH22M4A3. This .22 long rifle barrel is 16" long, threaded the standard 1/2 x 28 tpi, and has an A2 flash hider with the correct crush washer. The barrel has a forged A2 front sight base with bayonet lug, not the cheaper cast front sight base which can break. It sports M4 contour and length handguards with full heat shields. The barrel is machined from chrome-moly, high vanadium steel and hardened to a U.S. government Mil-spec of Rc 26-32. The barrel, and all external steel parts, are manganese phosphate finished IAW 5.3.1.2 of Mil-STD-171, the U. S. government's recommended protective finish for steel. This finish not only looks great, it affords complete corrosion protection. These barrels are of Mil-spec M4 contour (.750 under the front sight base) complete with the M203 groove in the front. The barrel is button rifled with 6 grooves, right hand, 1 / 16" twist. The 1/16" twist is best for 22 LONG RIFLE because it handles the widest variety of ammunition and bullet weights. The barrel is mounted on a polymer A3 upper receiver with built in Mil-spec M1913 Picatinny accessory rail. The upper features a sling attachment point in the forward assist. This upper comes complete with a .Electroless nickel plated 22 LONG RIFLE bolt/carrier assembly for complete corrosion resistance and provides a self lubricating ability as an aid to reliable function. Also included is a charging handle. This upper INCLUDES a polymer 30 round magazine (see item # AR-A-93). The upper is fully assembled, headspaced, and ready for action and fits on any MIL SPEC STANDARD LOWER RECEIVER.

Also I wanted the blowback design of Spikes verus the blow down design of this BCG.

"Blow down"? What do you mean? The BCG on the Blackthorne/Velocity kit looks for all the world like a Ciener/Spikes/CMMG unit.

AR-UH22M4A3.jpg

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I'd buy an ATI imported product before a Hesse/Vulcan/Blackthorne any day. I know ATI backs their products and will always make it right for customers.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    "Blow down"? What do you mean? The BCG on the Blackthorne/Velocity kit looks for all the world like a Ciener/Spikes/CMMG unit.

AR-UH22M4A3.jpg

Your right it does either I misunderstood him when we spoke he wasn't as familiar with the product as he seemed... Had a very heavy New York or Jersey Accent.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I'd buy an ATI imported product before a Hesse/Vulcan/Blackthorne any day.

Me too. Interestingly enough, Chiappa's website includes the sentence:

"The M4-22 is distributed in the United States exclusively by ATI (American Tactical Imports)www.americantactical.us"

So it sounds like Blackthorne & Velocity are just re-selling the Chiappa kit. Which is encouraging.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    So it sounds like Blackthorne & Velocity are just re-selling the Chiappa kit. Which is encouraging.

I think they're totally unrelated. The Chiappa's that have been received are of good quality, built correctly and operate out of the box. The Blackthorne and Velocities are of dubious quality at best, some of chich have to be totally re-built/assembled by the end-user to function. The bolt on the Chiappa is completely different also. I'll get a pic of it.

not too kean on the Polymer uppers though.
    I'm fine with the polymer. If you've got a spare upper laying around, you can swap it out to an aluminum one. The barrel indexing pin is a little thicker that standard upper slots allow, but a little fitting makes it work.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Thanks, Nate!

Not only is the bolt different, but there's no sling swivel in place of the forward assist plunger. It does appear to be a different product than the Blackthorne/Velocity kit.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    If these uppers are decent it will be great for us. For one we'll be able to buy this at the low price and it should also drive the price down on the competition if someone wants one built from more expensive materials. I have a conversion kit but around $300 is where I might have just purchased a upper instead.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    "In 2009, Chiappa Firearms, Ltd., located in Dayton, Ohio expanded the North American operation moving to a new facility and expanded operations to include manufacturing products specifically for the US Market." the one i saw said made in ohio. but the may have been imported before

Our Facilities | Chiappa Firearms

Top Bottom