• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Apparently Chiappa will be adding RFID chips to the firearms "in the next few months" according to a press release. Even though guns already have serial numbers to uniquely identify them, RFIDs open up a number of new capabilities, not all positive. RFIDs work fine for inventory control, but they don't turn off after purchase, allowing someone to be able to identify your firearm without your even being aware of it and even if you are carrying concealed.

I wander if other manufacturers are heading in this direction? Now where's my tin foil... :tinfoil:

Chiappa Firearms Introducing RFID Trackers in their Firearms

Press Release (in Italian) - can be translated using Google Translate.

Last edited:

bluto67

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    the simple solution is not to buy their products. they can track the rfid chips as they sit in a wharehouse and wonder why they are still there.

Last edited:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Could always fry the chip if you're that paranoid.

I bet there are ways of doing that without destroying the function or finish of Chiappa Rhino or 1911 or whatever else they have out there. I don't know how I'd do it so I probably would just avoid such a mess by buying something else.

I know that a large amount of firearm owners are paranoid about tracking and controlling of firearms - a lot of that paranoia is justified to a point.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Once it's sold (and not Chiappa's property any more), it's none of their dang business where it goes or how long it stays there.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    As has been said... why not just find the RFID and disable / destroy / remove it?

No biggie. Just about every single thing purchased in today's market has RFID in it somewhere.

-J-

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    While it's not a good thing, I think everyone is confusing "RFID" with "GPS" satellite tracking capability. RFID readers have to be near the tag, like within a few feet (unless things have changed drastically over the last couple of years).

An RFID won't "transmit" its location like a cell phone does. It would also be worthless in tracking a stolen gun. It's not like "OnStar". If the gun is turned into a smith for work or sent back to the manufacturer for work, then a read of the tag could help if it had previously been reported stolen.

Other than that, I think people are ascribing more capabilities to RFID than what currently exists. Of course, I guess there could have been some major advancements lately.

Top Bottom