• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eddiehelm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2018
    Marion
    What’s everyone’s preference on a chest rig? I’m looking at a Kenai set up right now. Kinda nice cause it’s easy to swap out the shells and I’d be able to rotate between a .500, 686, and sp101 without needing 3 full set ups. Cheaper options??

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Was about to make a similar thread asking for recommendations for Plate carriers/chest rigs.
    info is hard to find on the internet it seems. Always airsoft gear.

Anyways, you wont get much from me. But ill be watching this thread!

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I've been looking at the Kenai for my S&W 460V and Desert Eagle. Alien Gear makes one too I dunno all the models and be prepared for a little more bulk and have some locktite handy if you go that way.

eddiehelm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2018
    Marion
    I looked at the alien gear too but they don’t offer all the models I want. They are cheaper though, and have a deal right now on a chest rig + 2 additional holsters. I almost picked up a 460 when I got my .500. How do you like it?

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    It's a blast (ha,) I mostly shoot .454 Casulls out of it though and they could almost be considered tame. Factory ammo and reloading components were a big factor in my choice because I thought about the .500 first, being able to do .454 Cas and .45 Colt is a nice bonus.

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    I have carried the Hill People bag while backpacking. I had about 3.5 lbs in the chest rig and 27 lbs in my backpack. Worked well for me and was as comfortable as I could expect.

mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana
    If immediate accessibility for serious purposes is the application I would not ask, cheaper options? I would ask, better options? But from extensive prior research I'd say you put your finger on it with the Kenai. I was looking at a Kenai holster for G20+X300U-A for a hiking trip in the Western US that was scrubbed due to the COVID festivities, and did not find anything that looked better or came more recommended from online search. Also shared your idea of adding a 2nd holster body later for different carry purposes where four legged threats are limited to dogs. Would still be nice to have, but I've held off on that purchase, directing funds toward stocking other "ban-proofing" concerns.

In part because I picked up a Hill People Gear Kit Bag V2 to try as a more versatile pack-compatible trail carry option that is a more concealed and has space for other utility items close at hand up front. I like it and it's reasonably fast with practice, but it is slower to extract than I assume the dedicated chest holster would be, and slower than the typical and long-practiced draw from strong side IWB and OWB concealment holsters. One good idea I found researching the HPG chest packs is using the Raven Vanguard 2 trigger guard with IWB clip inside the Kit Bag. I want some kind of a trigger guard in there with chambered round Glock carry. There's a loop sewn inside where you can attach a cord to the Vanguard so it pulls free during the draw, and with the IWB clip you can semi-normally carry the pistol as a backup option. Vanguard 2 works perfectly with the G20 or G19 alone, but I still need a trigger guard that will fit over the attached X300U as well. Raven makes one but it's way too bulky on both sides. May attempt DIY Kydex.

I found Hill People kit bag posts by user ROCK6 on other boards pretty informative, a level-headed guy that seems to apply a lot of the same ideas in selecting and using gear. If you do find an HPG bag you are interested in for sale used or in-stock, jump on it as they seem to be out of stock everywhere now, down to only a few color choices even on their own website another model I was also considering.

Top Bottom