• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Buddy got his wife's laptop stolen last night and is lucky that's all that went wrong with his night.

In a nutshell the story is that he took his young daughter to another person's house for a family sleepover. The kids in both families are really young so the parents also stayed over. Buddy's wife brought her laptop to get some work done.

In the middle of the night my buddy could not sleep so he decided to go home and not wanting to wake anyone he left through the garage door. Apparently some bad guys were trolling the neighborhood and saw the open garage door and stripped the garage clean. Then they tried the kitchen door and gained access to the house, quietly taking the laptop on the kitchen table and the kids's backpacks. The host remembers hearing noise but had a house full of guests and did not investigate.

This morning everyone wakes up and all is gone. Sheriff comes by and tells them that they were lucky not to have challenged the burglars as they are mostly armed these days and very dangerous.

Buddy is miffed about the laptop, kids upset about their stolen bags (only clothes and toothbrushes but for kids it's a big deal) and everyone is a bit shook up.

So remember kiddies, bad guys abound and one failure in your perimeter and you can get taken. They are exceedingly lucky in that they were not hurt or harmed worse. But if you have guests over, you might want to talk about not leaving the doors unlocked, or waking you if they have to leave, etc.

Times are tight and getting tighter. Stay alert!

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    It's scary to think of the other possible outcomes to your story.
    Thanks for the reminder.... keep your heads up & on a swivil. ( a good dog is also an option. Mine's four months old and in "training")

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    This is why you should have a TRAINED DOG! Not just a dog. Any breed will do even a mutt. Just train the dang dog! Still one of the best crime deterrents around.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    This is why you should have a TRAINED DOG! Not just a dog. Any breed will do even a mutt. Just train the dang dog! Still one of the best crime deterrents around.

Try rewarding him with bacon every time he's the first one to notice a stranger on the property. That should get results pretty quickly and, after all, it's the INGO way.

In all seriousness, it takes a pretty brazen thief to walk into someone's house. It's bad enough that some folks think it's ok to take things out of an unlocked car, but walking into someone's house escalates the situation several levels in my book. These good folks are VERY lucky that one of the children who couldn't sleep or one of the adults didn't walk into the kitchen for a snack. We might have been reading about it in the paper.

Thanks for the post. It's a shame that these folks were victimized, but it definitely serves as a reminder to keep a good perimiter...AND to get a dog. No one is walking into the house at night undetected with rover around.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

You don't even have to train as long as they go nuts when doors are knocked on or garage door goes up and such, and that are of adequate size.

My 2 make so much racket that they can wake the dead when the door is knocked on or door bell is rang, they also announce the raising of the garage door.

They are both nice as all get out, plain lick you to death when we are around, but my Aussie Cattle dog has the bark and growl of one mean a$$ dog and my Border Collie isn't a shabby barker either.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    don't forget that thieves are actve in the daytime...
    several towns have started to enforce peddler permits for door to door sales, do to the number of break ins durng daylight...

watch for people canvasing your neighborhood..

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    The greater issue is that there were burglars brazen enough to walk in through an open garage/door and rifle through belongings. A confrontation could have cost someone their life.

Still, if one of the children had been mine in the house, I would have been pretty hacked off that he opened the house up to ingress & invitation through an open garage door / unlocked entrance.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Thats pretty damn brazen for a thief. I wouldnt think they would take the chance tiptoeing around a house full of people but I guess nothing should suprise me anymore.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Thats pretty damn brazen for a thief. I wouldnt think they would take the chance tiptoeing around a house full of people but I guess nothing should suprise me anymore.

That's probably why the cops said it's a good thing no one confronted them...If they have the balls to do that then they have the balls to go to prison for killing someone in their way.(yes, balls probably isn't the best word to describe these scumbag cowards)

right winger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 31, 2008
    Hymera
    As a medically retired Correctional Officer. I am extremely security minded.
    I constantly check for locked doors windows etc. I some time drive my wife nuts with my security checks.

Top Bottom