• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The general consensus is that it all depends on when it was made!

The company has been through a few different owners, with the original owner's production being the "best quality".

Folks in the know say to stay away from the middle period when QA/QC really went down hill; but also that under the most recent owners, things are definitely looking up.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you what time frames to stay away from. I'm sure someone will be along and further clarify the above.

-J-

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The general consensus is that it all depends on when it was made!

The company has been through a few different owners, with the original owner's production being the "best quality".

Folks in the know say to stay away from the middle period when QA/QC really went down hill; but also that under the most recent owners, things are definitely looking up.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you what time frames to stay away from. I'm sure someone will be along and further clarify the above.

The current owner, Nick Ecker, is the son of the original owner and has been involved with the company in one capacity or another since 1984.

From 1988 to 1998, the company was owned by Jeff Williams and was known as "CharCo". The company was out of business for a brief period, before being bought by Ecker in 1999 and renamed "Charter 2000".

The original Charter Arms name was restored in 2007.

Charter doesn't shy away from its colorful history; all of the above information was posted right on their website:
    About Charter Firearms

Personally, I'd pass on the older "CharCo" guns.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville

Those Gun Blast guys know their stuff. I always enjoy reading them.

I've been considering a good conceal carry firearm for a while now, and Charter Arms has been at the top of my list. The right mix of price and performance.

Thanks for posting the links.

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have owned an early Charter Arms for about 15 years now and am very pleased with it. I was in the market for a snubby and decided on the .44spl Bulldog. I like the big bore punch in a small package. When I got it, it looked like a dog had used the Pachmayers for a chew-toy but they do the job so I left them on it.

I haven’t shot any of the new Charter Arms handguns but they seem to be good quality.

[FONT=&quot]Bucky[/FONT]

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Depends on when it was made. I remember reading a Gun Tests evaluation of an "Off Duty" Charter in the late '80's/early 90's and the two test guns actually fell apart during testing. They titled the test.... "Charter Arms Off Duty.... Keep it that way"!!! :laugh:

I had one made in the 70's and that was one nice little gun. Wish I hadn't of sold it!!! :rolleyes:
    :cheers:

Last edited:

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    How about a Charter Arms snubbie in 9mm, .40 S&W or .45 ACP, without having to use moon clips?

New Charter Arms Rimless Revolver (CARR) | The Firearm Blog

I'll be checking these out as soon as they hit the market! I've always wondered why someone didn't make a .40 snubbie, given the immense popularity of the caliber with both police and civilian shooters. A .40 snubbie on my ankle would be just the ticket for a backup gun.

This is the first I've heard of this. A 9mm DA revolver is intriguing...say a S&W M&P with a snubby 9mm back up.

Flaregun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    We have a Charter 38, no hammer. I like it, wifes gun / night stand kinda thing. I like it for her because it has no features, no hammer, and no slide to cycle or mess with. Just point and shoot, but kinda thick & heavy to pocket carry. If she ever gets a Purse that's ready for a handgun it will be perfect.

Top Bottom