• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I had an appetite for a french dip tonight, so I drove over to the Castleton location for dinner. Sat at the bar and I ordered a Blue Moon beer to sip while waiting to order. I tried to order the french dip but I was told they were out of them and when I asked why, the bartender told me they were having supply issues; they could not source their exact bread for the bun and didn't know when they'd get any and that the owner refused to allow the staff to source another bread and would be at least a month before getting more.

I expressed my great disappointment, mentioning I came here specifically because theirs is rated one of the top in the city. So as a backup plan (I was hungry) I asked for the fish of the day. Well, they didn't have that either and only had the light smoked salmon dish which I was just not interested in at the moment as I was hoping for something a little lighter like a Mahi.

I finished my beer and was given the check and saw that they charged $8 for a lousy glass (not even a full pint) of Blue Moon that every other bar in the area I can get for $3.75-4.25.

I went to their website and sent feedback.

I recently drove across town in Indianapolis to your Castleton location specifically for the French dip, which is rated one of the best around. However, when I got there, I was informed there are none because of his supply issues due to the bread. When I inquired about it, I was told the owners won’t allow them to source any other bread, and that’s why they cannot serve them. as a result, I finished my beer and proceeded to a white castle disappointed I was unable to get a French dip.

When I was in my 20s, I worked in the restaurant business for a decade, and our motto was to never “86“ anything, and to do whatever it took to keep something in stock, including buying or borrowing from neighboring restaurants or the grocery store. To be unable to sell one of your signature dishes is a major mistake. Your unwillingness to source an alternate ingredient will likely result in me never returning to Charleston’s again.

By the time I got home I saw this in my email inbox
    Your feedback is appreciated. Please expect a member of our management team to be in touch shortly.

We'll see how they handle this. I like that restaurant even though it's priced a bit to the high end for almost high end food and they have excellent Prime Rib.

An out of towner was sitting a couple seats down from me and asked about what I was (OC) carrying (the 92fs), he mentioned he was from Texas and was selling his Kimber to get a Sig because he thought the perfomance of the Kimber was overrated and asked about IN carry permit laws. I told him about IN becoming a CC state since a year ago, we shook hands and bid each other a good evening.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I had an appetite for a french dip tonight, so I drove over to the Castleton location for dinner. Sat at the bar and I ordered a Blue Moon beer to sip while waiting to order. I tried to order the french dip but I was told they were out of them and when I asked why, the bartender told me they were having supply issues; they could not source their exact bread for the bun and didn't know when they'd get any and that the owner refused to allow the staff to source another bread and would be at least a month before getting more.

I expressed my great disappointment, mentioning I came here specifically because theirs is rated one of the top in the city. So as a backup plan (I was hungry) I asked for the fish of the day. Well, they didn't have that either and only had the light smoked salmon dish which I was just not interested in at the moment as I was hoping for something a little lighter like a Mahi.

I finished my beer and was given the check and saw that they charged $8 for a lousy glass (not even a full pint) of Blue Moon that every other bar in the area I can get for $3.75-4.25.

I went to their website and sent feedback.

By the time I got home I saw this in my email inbox

We'll see how they handle this. I like that restaurant even though it's priced a bit to the high end for almost high end food and they have excellent Prime Rib.

An out of towner was sitting a couple seats down from me and asked about what I was (OC) carrying (the 92fs), he mentioned he was from Texas and was selling his Kimber to get a Sig because he thought the perfomance of the Kimber was overrated and asked about IN carry permit laws. I told him about IN becoming a CC state since a year ago, we shook hands and bid each other a good evening.

At least there was a good Texan there!

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Haven't been there since 2017.
    Use to go there every week.

Prime rib was my favorite.
    No reason we stopped other than life changes.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'd like to know a restaurant, especially an expensive one, where a pint (or even approaching a pint) glass of Blue Moon is under $5.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    $8 a glass is a total rip off! Most times you can get a six pack for that much money. And I don’t think the food there is that great. Lots of better choices abound. My :twocents:!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Just a reminder, bars and restaurants can't buy from a liquor store.
    It has to be an approved distributor.
    You pay their price, there is NO competition.
    If they sell it, then the other distributors don't.
    If they sell it, but it's not in supply, you don't get it.
    There are minimum orders. If you can't meet the minimum, you don't order.

If you're looking for a specific product, you call and ask if they have it
    If they don't, keep calling the next, cause they don't know what the other distributors sell.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Just a reminder, bars and restaurants can't buy from a liquor store.
    It has to be an approved distributor.
    You pay their price, there is NO competition.
    If they sell it, then the other distributors don't.
    If they sell it, but it's not in supply, you don't get it.
    There are minimum orders. If you can't meet the minimum, you don't order.

If you're looking for a specific product, you call and ask if they have it
    If they don't, keep calling the next, cause they don't know what the other distributors sell.
    Well, they weren't out of beer!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If you are caught selling from a bottle without the stamp, or they find a bottle in the garbage without the stamp, or find you filling a bottle...

If you're lucky, it's a fine.
    Or, they yank your license.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Really, they should have bought you a beer. Come in for one of their alleged specialties and they are out, ask for a second and they are out of that again!

They lost a potential customer.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    They lost a potential customer.
    No, they lost a decades long customer. We used to hold our new product kickoff meetings there when I worked at Bell Labs.

Aaannnd.... still no reply from "management".

If you are near Syracuse IN Kosciusko Co., the Huntington Street Bar & Grill has THE best French Dip in the state I have ever had.

french_dip.JPG

Last edited:
    Top Bottom