• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    Been carrying "cocked and locked" for over 30 years. If you don't have a round chambered and ready you might as well be packing a brick instead.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I carry a Colt Single Action Army and to do so full would be foolish. I don't really. I just thought I would add a situation where you would have an empty chamber.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I carry unholstered in the waistband of my pants, this usually approximates a drop thigh holster. I leave the chamber empty so as to avoid shooting my baby daddy parts.

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    Also consider if you do not carry chambered you may get yourself into a sticky situation. Things start to happen. You know you need to chamber a round. You just might draw from the holster to early to get chambered and now you have misread the situation and have just pointed your firearm illegally. Don't box yourself into a corner. Quality firearm. Quality holster. Chambered round. Act when your life is truly in jeapordy. Go bang.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Anyone ever seen actual testing results on carrying one in or not?

Id love to see the actual difference in time during a few common simulated situations.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Also consider if you do not carry chambered you may get yourself into a sticky situation. Things start to happen. You know you need to chamber a round. You just might draw from the holster to early to get chambered and now you have misread the situation and have just pointed your firearm illegally. Don't box yourself into a corner. Quality firearm. Quality holster. Chambered round. Act when your life is truly in jeapordy. Go bang.

Good info.

Also, chambering a round in a stressful situation could lead to a negligent discharge, which could be really bad news.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Only in movies do they have the time to rack the slide whenever they want to use their guns.

Sometimes they'll rack it two or three times during their monologue just so you know that they're extra super ready to shoot now.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    I carry "condition tactical butterscotch" its the latest safety fad that all the cool people are doing.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pU2IOTEZlU[/ame]

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I carry "condition tactical butterscotch" its the latest safety fad that all the cool people are doing.

:laugh: thats good stuff! I actually do not carry with one in the chamber. I have only had my Ltch for 3 weeks so i am still getting use to the idea; however, i consistantly practice situation drills where i have to unholster, rack the slide, flip thumb safety and fire. I have been able to drill this motion into my head to where i don't even have to think about it before it happens.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Why train this way? When you start carrying with one cambered and you should, your instinct is going to be to dump a perfectly good round on the ground.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    So, when you OC or CC, do you do so with a round in the chamber, "ready to go"?
    :rolleyes:

With my 1911, I carry cocked and locked.....always have one in the chamber. If you aren't comfortable carrying your gun like that, don't carry it. I had the same issue with my M&P, I bought one with no thumb safety. I still love the gun, but i only keep it for home defense now. I feel far more at ease with my 1911.

Top Bottom