• ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    A dremel with an angle guide and an appropriately sized stone makes for quick and easy touch ups on the saw. A good file and some practice will accomplish the same thing. Any hardware store worth its salt that sells reputable saws should sharpen chains. If you cut a lot of wood, a grinder will pay for itself in short order.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I can't help with a location near you, sorry.

Going rate is all over the board. $7-10 is fair for anything 20" and smaller. Bigger than that, and the smart people start charging by the drive link. Which they should imo.

If they have hit metal or rocks, tell them up front you want it done right, or you won't be paying. This takes a lot more time and finesse to do without overheating your cutters, and to take the rakers down to the correct level below your cutters.

If your cutters come back blue, they overheated it and the metal has lost its hardness and ability to hold an edge.

It's hard to find anyone who does it right anymore. Personally I'd look for who charges the most, and ask them why. They probably do it right. That's your best chance to find a good shop imo.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    IMHO, learn to do it yourself; get a guide if you have to. The key is using fresh, sharp, quality files, the metal will come off like butter; 1-2 strokes/tooth for a touch-up, and ~10 strokes/tooth for a "rocked chain". I can sharpen ten chains faster than I can gather them up and drive them someplace. Start with quality files, not the 2-pack of Oregon brand files you get at the hardware store; markup on those is 200% or more. You'll go broke buying them, or you'll be tempted to keep using them long past their usable life. I buy genuine Pferd (swiss) files from Baileys. IIRC, they are $9 or $10 per dozen, when they start to get dull they get chucked because I don't have time for a dull file.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    IMHO, learn to do it yourself; get a guide if you have to. The key is using fresh, sharp, quality files, the metal will come off like butter; 1-2 strokes/tooth for a touch-up, and ~10 strokes/tooth for a "rocked chain". I can sharpen ten chains faster than I can gather them up and drive them someplace. Start with quality files, not the 2-pack of Oregon brand files you get at the hardware store; markup on those is 200% or more. You'll go broke buying them, or you'll be tempted to keep using them long past their usable life. I buy genuine Pferd (swiss) files from Baileys. IIRC, they are $9 or $10 per dozen, when they start to get dull they get chucked because I don't have time for a dull file.

This

Stihl sells a file set, do it by hand, easy and doesn't burn the chain.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It's not something I use often, only a couple time a year. But I usually have my chains sharpened at Ace hardware for $7 ( 20" chain) but I also have a file & guide set that I use for touch up work between small jobs

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    if you where closer i would sharpen them for you......i can put them back to factory sharp for 5 bucs a chain up to 20"......longer than that is 7.....

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    The sthil file guide is about as easy thing out there to use. They are like 35 bucks. It does it all in one motion. Takes about 5 to 7 minutes and it will be sharper than factory

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    I wanted to sharpen my chains myself so I went to youtube to learn how to do it. I found a video of a pro and he said you should never use anything other than a file to sharpen your chains. After watching it I now do my own. I do 2 or 3 strokes of the file every time I fill the fuel tank and knock the rakes down as needed. I have 3 chains and they take a beating as I'm usually the guy one calls when a branch or something came down in a storm. -Jason

Top Bottom