• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    It is actually a huge misconception a lot of people seem to have. Shows like CSI and Law & Order do not help. They seem to be legit but they are often off on the actual science and the facts of what is allowed to be done.

Now some countries like Germany actually require that a couple of rounds must be received by the police (if I am remembering correctly) before the gun is actually allowed to be sold/imported into the country.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    So when you buy a new gun, you get one round in the box and they say one round stays with the manufacture or atf or whatever is false?

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Is that what you tell the gun shops too, you will not fill out their bill of sale?
    Cant that bill of sale at the gun shop that has the serial number still track you down when they find a casing your gun. Dont the manufactures keep a round from each gun so they can track it to the dealer who then in turn track it to the bill of sale. Maybe im stupid, please correct me.

You can ask for a bill of sale from the seller as that might protect you from an accusation that you stole the firearm. Possibly the only person to do that would be the seller. Not likely though.

Just think if you would ask from the seller for a bill of sale for any tool, like a hammer, or a length of rope, both tools, both killers.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Some manufacturers provide two casings just to show you that they have test fired the weapon. Nothing more than that.

My ruger came with 1 in a sealed envelope with serial # and date and such, according to the manual that came with it, its because certain states/jurisdictions require one casing fired from the gun to be forwarded to the authorities on sale of a new gun.

And to assure the customer that it works.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    No way I'd let some one copy down ANY of my information.

I'd tell them to find another buyer/seller.

There is no law compelling them or me to produce ANY ID or get any sort of bill of sale. I will not.

If someone wants to "glance" at my DL or LTCH I may agree to that. Unless they have a photographing memory and can see thru my fingers covering any real details it's a moot point for me.

For those of you 'requiring' a bill of sale don't be surprised when most people tell you to pound sand.

It is truly idiotic to have a age of 21 vs 18... talk about complete ignorance of the law!

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    I do the paperwork at the dealer because it's the law. But if Joe Blough hands me a 2 page "bill of sale" to fill out and sign, I'm gonna walk. No matter how bad I want the gun.

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    There is no law compelling them or me to produce ANY ID. I will not.

So is it ok for me to sell or buy from someone who could be from another state? And if someone didn't check ID's and had no idea where each other was truthfully from would that make someone exempt from the laws that require out of state transactions to go through an FFL?

What happens if someone sold a handgun to someone who "looked" over 18 but was really 17 because they didn't check ID?

I've seen this exact situation happen, an Ohio resident at a Ft Wayne gunshow tried buying a pistol from an individual. Who would have been at fault here? It's the individuals choice on what they will show, but who's at fault if any of these situations happened?

Last edited:

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    My ruger came with 1 in a sealed envelope with serial # and date and such, according to the manual that came with it, its because certain states/jurisdictions require one casing fired from the gun to be forwarded to the authorities on sale of a new gun.

NRA-ILA :: "Ballistic Fingerprinting" -- The Maryland Example:Costing Taxpayers Without Benefiting Law Enforcement

[SIZE=-1]Under the Maryland law, every newly-manufactured handgun is required to be fired and the distinctive markings left on the bullet and/or cartridge case recorded and entered into a database before the gun may be sold. The theory is that markings on a fired bullet or an empty cartridge case found at a crime scene could be compared to markings in the database, thus identifying the firearm used by the criminal--but not the criminal, who most likely stole the firearm in question, leaving no paper trail to follow.[/SIZE]

Top Bottom