Central Indiana shotgun range suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmolderOutdoors

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Westfield
    I’ve shot quite a bit of clays but the gf is a first timer and would like to go somewhere low pressure and get some practice in with a hand thrower before jumping into trap and sporting clays at places like Indiana gun club etc.

What are your suggestions for a range where we can use hand throwers and get her some practice since she’s brand new to shotgun? We live in Westfield and are willing to travel of course.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Crawfordsville Gun Club ... https://www.crawfordsvillegunclub.org/ ... they shoot ATA style trap and occasionally wobble trap on Sunday mornings. Trap shooting starts around 10:00 AM and runs to about noon. Then the Club members usually switch over to benchrest rimfire rifles. Their style of trap shooting is about as informal as it comes and they’re very welcoming to new shotgun shooters.

The last Sunday of the month is open to the public. However, there is a Club Board meeting tomorrow, 10 September, and you are welcome to stop by with your girlfriend to check out the Club.

SmolderOutdoors

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Westfield
    You are in Westfield 30 minutes away from the gun club, just go straight to station 4, it has some great straight away "give me" shots for beginners IMHO. It's where I take everyone there first time shooting a shotgun.
    Thanks for the tip. I used to shoot trap 2x a week in nwi at the izaak Walton shoots and have shot various other places after moving away. Girlfriend has never shot a shotgun but wants to learn. We have a Weatherby sa-08 youth 20ga on order from a lgs for her. (She needs a short lop)

We were hoping to find somewhere to throw some clays with the hand thrower while teaching her how to mount/lead/follow through etc before jumping into an actual trap field but this may be the best option if we don’t have that ability. I just don’t want her to go 0/25 and get discouraged :)

SmolderOutdoors

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Westfield
    Crawfordsville Gun Club ... https://www.crawfordsvillegunclub.org/ ... they shoot ATA style trap and occasionally wobble trap on Sunday mornings. Trap shooting starts around 10:00 AM and runs to about noon. Then the Club members usually switch over to benchrest rimfire rifles. Their style of trap shooting is about as informal as it comes and they’re very welcoming to new shotgun shooters.

The last Sunday of the month is open to the public. However, there is a Club Board meeting tomorrow, 10 September, and you are welcome to stop by with your girlfriend to check out the Club.
    Thanks for the tip!

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I’ve shot quite a bit of clays but the gf is a first timer and would like to go somewhere low pressure and get some practice in with a hand thrower before jumping into trap and sporting clays at places like Indiana gun club etc.

What are your suggestions for a range where we can use hand throwers and get her some practice since she’s brand new to shotgun? We live in Westfield and are willing to travel of course.
    The Winamac FWA has a very nice clay pigeon range. You bring your own birds and throwers be it hand thrower or otherwise.Both are allowed. It is all free. No pressure because you go at your own pace take as little or much time as you need. Not crowded.This place is a "diamond in the rough". The down side for you is a bit of a drive north on US35. Just putting it our there.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    When my daughter first started to hunt pheasants in Northern Indiana I took her down to Atterbury to shoot trap on the automatic range.
    For like $8 you got 25 clays and could use the foot switch if you wanted or if you had enough people one could use the hand switch. The hand switch worked for us.
    When I got her own shotgun we went to the automatic range at J Edward Roush (same set-up)
    Worked well for us.

Bollorollo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Thanks for the tip. I used to shoot trap 2x a week in nwi at the izaak Walton shoots and have shot various other places after moving away. Girlfriend has never shot a shotgun but wants to learn. We have a Weatherby sa-08 youth 20ga on order from a lgs for her. (She needs a short lop)

We were hoping to find somewhere to throw some clays with the hand thrower while teaching her how to mount/lead/follow through etc before jumping into an actual trap field but this may be the best option if we don’t have that ability. I just don’t want her to go 0/25 and get discouraged :)
    Back during the 80s My dad was a member at the Izaak Waltonin Griffith. Plus some of my friends family's were members also. We use to shoot a lot of trap there, fish, Ice Fish ( I would go in to the liquor store on the north side of Ridge Road close to Burger King and buy a 12 pack of Miller when 17 and we would drink it while Ice fishing lol) plus shoot at the small range there. They had the Wild Game Dinner there every year after hunting season which was very good also.. Plus the annual Ice Fishing Tournament was a great time to. Lots of great memories at this place. During the early 90s I move to Central Indiana so I haven't been there since then. Now I'm a member at Marion County Fish Game. They have trap shooting every Thursday Night. I don't shoot trap much now but have been once at MCFG and its a fun time.

SmolderOutdoors

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Westfield
    The Winamac FWA has a very nice clay pigeon range. You bring your own birds and throwers be it hand thrower or otherwise.Both are allowed. It is all free. No pressure because you go at your own pace take as little or much time as you need. Not crowded.This place is a "diamond in the rough". The down side for you is a bit of a drive north on US35. Just putting it our there.
    Might make a trip up- haven’t been there in a very long time! Willow slough had a similar setup years ago but I haven’t been there since the range was re-done. (Moved out of nw Indiana in 2013 and was out of state for two years. Moved back in 2015 and I’ve been in the Indy area ever since)

SmolderOutdoors

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Westfield
    Back during the 80s My dad was a member at the Izaak Waltonin Griffith. Plus some of my friends family's were members also. We use to shoot a lot of trap there, fish, Ice Fish ( I would go in to the liquor store on the north side of Ridge Road close to Burger King and buy a 12 pack of Miller when 17 and we would drink it while Ice fishing lol) plus shoot at the small range there. They had the Wild Game Dinner there every year after hunting season which was very good also.. Plus the annual Ice Fishing Tournament was a great time too. Lots of great memories at this place. During the early 90s I move to Central Indiana so I haven't been there since then. Now I'm a member at Marion County Fish Game. They have trap shooting every Thursday Night. I don't shoot trap much now but have been once at MCFG and it’s a fun time.
    I used to shoot at Griffith and Hobart izaak Walton’s back in like 2010-2013ish. At the time I worked the gun counter at gander mountain in merrillville so I shot out there with some guys from work. Fun times!

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Back during the 80s My dad was a member at the Izaak Waltonin Griffith. Plus some of my friends family's were members also. We use to shoot a lot of trap there, fish, Ice Fish ( I would go in to the liquor store on the north side of Ridge Road close to Burger King and buy a 12 pack of Miller when 17 and we would drink it while Ice fishing lol) plus shoot at the small range there. They had the Wild Game Dinner there every year after hunting season which was very good also.. Plus the annual Ice Fishing Tournament was a great time to. Lots of great memories at this place. During the early 90s I move to Central Indiana so I haven't been there since then. Now I'm a member at Marion County Fish Game. They have trap shooting every Thursday Night. I don't shoot trap much now but have been once at MCFG and its a fun time.
    I can vouch for the MCFG trap on Thursday nights. They're an easy going group of shooters who are very gracious with new shooters. I shot there for years and years, years ago. When I finally added up how much I spent in guest fees I figured out that I could have paid for a life-time membership. So then I bought a life-time membership. Soon after that life got in the way of Thursday night trap shooting. I still get to MCFG on an infrequent basis to use the pistol bays or sometimes the main line to shoot pistols and rimfire rifles. Still good people who are in charge of the Club and grounds.

Top Bottom