• ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Never thought I'd see the day.

So, we homeschool. Purchased curriculum via a homeschool "provider". They happen to also provide content to private schools, and also re-use content from various 3rd parties.

We are studying the Civil War (fitting, eh?). Following along with the lesson online (we have some reading and some online activities). Click on a video link and.... Youtube has blocked the video for violating its policies. It has "inappropriate content". Now, this is a video used by ELEMENTARY school teachers. How freaking inappropriate can it be?

Got a note off to our curriculum provider. They are contacting YouTube (good luck) and also looking for replacement content. I suggested they find a new hosting service.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clay County
    Sadly this has been going on for years in public schools and is only going to get MUCH worse! Today's kids will be taught strictly from a liberal point of view on history and not taught the true history of our country.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    It would be interesting to know why was blocked. Was it blocked/removed 100% or restricted?
    I'll see if my daughter can log back in and go back thru that lesson. IIRC: It was their generic "This content violates our use policy". The link still worked, but landed there, rather than on the video itself.

Can't watch the video to understand why, even if there is really a reason.

This is why I hate ceding control of content to a 3rd party. My employer uses YouTube for a TON of stuff. I've advised against it, for this very reason, but they would rather take the risk than run their own media servers.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    You may try logging in under your account and seeing if it is viewable to an adult. I am just curious as sometimes things that involve violence are not viewable for children.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    You may try logging in under your account and seeing if it is viewable to an adult. I am just curious as sometimes things that involve violence are not viewable for children.
    she wasn't logged into youtube. She does not have an account.

Her school computer does not have any real restrictions. I monitor pretty much everything (eg: I get a report of all websites she visits, and when), but it isn't locked down. She can only use it in the same room as mom or I. Trust... but verify.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I understand that. Good precautions, but there are a lot of things on YouTube, right or wrong, that people cannot access without YouTube knowing what the age of the person is. That's YouTube, not her computer.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Maybe she should talk to CM - he was there.
    This is the AMERICAN civil war. Not Romans. Pretty sure he watched Gettysburg from his rocking chair, while shaking his fists at "them noisy young-uns what with their cannons and fancy percussion rifles!"

Kiddo is taking her math test. I'll have to wait until she is done, and likely until I am done for the day, to take a look.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    We are studying the Civil War (fitting, eh?). Following along with the lesson online (we have some reading and some online activities). Click on a video link and.... Youtube has blocked the video for violating its policies. It has "inappropriate content". Now, this is a video used by ELEMENTARY school teachers. How freaking inappropriate can it be?
    There has been someone on INGO censoring War Between the States content for years. Won't allow any discussion about other issues of the day, insists it was only about slavery

Claims to be a lawyer, name is Kook or something like that :cool:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Never thought I'd see the day.

So, we homeschool. Purchased curriculum via a homeschool "provider". They happen to also provide content to private schools, and also re-use content from various 3rd parties.

Got a note off to our curriculum provider. They are contacting YouTube (good luck) and also looking for replacement content. I suggested they find a new hosting service.

Censoring of history indeed! American "Civil War"?

There was no American civil war. Never did the seceding States seek to take over the central government. They attempted to simply walk away.

It was not a civil war. It was a war of northern aggression.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    BTW, did folks think the "censoring" would stop with the destruction of Confederate memorials?

Not by a long shot..... they goal of these thugs is the destruction of Western Culture.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Guess it depends on how you define "civil war".

And yes, we talk about a lot more than what is covered from the various sources we have selected.

Civil War - A war between opposing groups of citizens of the same country
    -Merriam Webster

Citizens of the seceding states were no longer citizens of the same country of those states that had not yet seceded.

War of Northern Aggression, War for Southern Independence, and War Between the States would all be appropriate.... but it was certainly not a civil war.

;)

BTW, good on you for the homeschooling.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There's any number of reasons it would be blocked or removed; let's not jump to conclusions. Could be banal reasons like copyright, publishing issues, etc. And it could be an error on YouTube's part - automation / machine learning problems.

Top Bottom