• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    He told me they were illegal, that I had to have fmj in my 1911 to carry legally, the Internet is packed full of conflicting facts on this topic.. Help me ingo brothers. I'm a ( gun toting) law abiding citizen..

They are legal in Muncie. :) Most of the illegal talk dates back to the old Black Talons, cop killers. You can get the same round legally now, they just changed the name. :patriot:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Man thank you for answering my question straight up.. It's too bad 2/3 of the people on this site want to ridicule and embarras people so they are afraid to post, and ask questions... That's why I'm the only one in my group of friends that still uses it ( this site)

19,000 posts how many people you ran off freeman.. How many you helped

Lighten up Francis. They're just funnin' ya. You'll have a heart attack by the time you're 40.:n00b:

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Explain to your Dad that hollow points are designed to expand on impact and reduce the risk of over penetrating (going through the target / ricochet) and injuring a bystander. They also do much more damage to a bad guy and increase the odds that you'll be able to incapacitate the attacker.

Don't let these guys get under your skin. There is a lot of snark on this site, but most everyone means well.

I will vouch for Kirk Freeman too. He is generally an excellent resource.

This! :thumbsup:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I thought I had a heart attack at 40 but it was just rhino hugging me.

That's some BS. You and Rhino hug, but I make an offer to let you hug me all day to test a holster and I get...nothing.

I'm going to go kick rocks down by the pond. You know, and think about things.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I would assume that OP's dad was referring to the 'Geneva Convention' aka rules of war. Enlisted men are technically not allowed to USS anything but FMJ.

(I'm pretty certain snipers and special forces do not give a crap about these rules, since they basically have a license to kill on order, and that they pick whatever clandestine weapons systems necessary to overwhelm the enemy).

Grunts routinely "kill on order" too (part of the job description). Maj. Plaster wrote that the DOD ruled that SMKs were ok to use because the "HP" didn't have a core designed to expand.
    Moreover, the geneva conventions are a smorgasbord of articles, and countries sign off on what they want to abide by.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I would assume that OP's dad was referring to the 'Geneva Convention' aka rules of war. Enlisted men are technically not allowed to USS anything but FMJ.

(I'm pretty certain snipers and special forces do not give a crap about these rules, since they basically have a license to kill on order, and that they pick whatever clandestine weapons systems necessary to overwhelm the enemy).

Grunts routinely "kill on order" too (part of the job description). Maj. Plaster wrote that the DOD ruled that SMKs were ok to use because the "HP" didn't have a core designed to expand.
    Moreover, the geneva conventions are a smorgasbord of articles, and countries sign off on what they want to abide by.

Actually the hollow point restriction came about due to the Hague Treaty and only covers the engagement at wartime.

As I mentioned in other threads but some might find interesting here is, since 1999 the USAF has issued 9mm 124 gr JHP rounds for the M9 for all stateside Security Forces/Security Police. The AF had a rash of shootings in the late 80's and 90's where the ball NATO ammo stopped/killed the threat but the leadership wanted to have their troops better armed. After referring with AF JAG the determination was made Security Forces/Security Police at stateside bases were conducting a LE mission and the Hague Treaty did not apply. The M16/M4 is still issued with ball ammo as well as anyone overseas or going overseas revert to ball ammo.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    They are legal in Muncie. :) Most of the illegal talk dates back to the old Black Talons, cop killers. You can get the same round legally now, they just changed the name. :patriot:

Black Talons were never illegal. There was however a lot of exaggerated stories by the media as well as the NAACP making claims the black in the name was for racial reasons. Winchester voluntarily pulled the Black Talons from the market, renamed it SXT and the ogive (aka projectile) is now a pleasant copper color!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    He told me they were illegal, that I had to have fmj in my 1911 to carry legally, the Internet is packed full of conflicting facts on this topic.. Help me ingo brothers. I'm a ( gun toting) law abiding citizen..

Not only are Hollow Points NOT illegal, but they offer many advantages to those of us who legally use them for self-defense. Here are a few points for your father to consider, other than the fact that they ARE LEGAL:
    • They tend to stop INSIDE the body of the criminal so there is little concern for "over penetration" and having your bullet shoot through the bad guy and accidentally hit an innocent person who is BEHIND the bad guy.
    • They tend to ricochet less when impacting on other objects, again making them far less lethal to innocent bystanders.
    • They tend to be more effective at stopping the threat faster than FMJ bullets, consequently you may have to fire fewer shots which again reduces any chances of ricochet or 'through' shots into innocents.
    • If they are safe enough for the police to use then should you not use the same safe technology that they use? If you KNOWINGLY use inferior technology, like a FMJ bullet, then could you be liable for intentional harm caused to innocent bystanders if your bullets pass through a bad guy?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Is pops clueless or of some liberal mindset?

Trying to bring him up to speed might open a can of worms.

I'd smile, say they're legal, all is good...... and change the subject.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

Not only are hollowpoints LEGAL, but they are the SAFER choice to carry. FMJ bullets tend to over penetrate....and do less damage to the intended target. Over penetration means a chance of more collateral damage to by standers. FMJ for target practice, HP for defense.

Top Bottom