• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I have concealed carried now for around 5 years. The only people who know are my wife, parents, and father-in-law. Nobody else has ever caught on.

The worries about being discovered faded over time and now I almost don't care if someone figures it out. I often wonder what the reaction would be and how the conversation would go should that day ever come.

Has anyone ever been outed/discovered concealing? How did the reaction and resulting conversation go?

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    While I can't directly address your question, I can say that every OC encounter I've had has been positive. If you are to the point that you don't care if people that you are carrying, why not OC at least some of the time. I'm not trying to turn this into yet another OC/CC debate, nor do I care how you carry, just curious.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    While I can't directly address your question...
    Than you shouldn't have replied. You're trying to derail the thread.

...I'm not trying to turn this into yet another OC/CC debate, nor do I care how you carry, just curious.
    Than you shouldn't have brought it up.

Let's not derail this into OC/CC on the first reply...

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Squirrel!!!

I actually had my aunt-in-law give me a hug at a wedding over the summer. She felt my cc edc and had the "huh?" look on her face. I just responded, "Don't leave home unless it's on me!" She responded, "And I thank you for that." +1 to my aunt-in-law

ChrisBarnes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Greenfield/Cumberland area
    My outing was an encounter with my father. I am laughing as I type this because it was funny that I had to actually explain to him why I carried. Anyways to the story of how he found out I carried. It was on a visit to my parents house. They live in Ft. Wayne and I am in Indy. I was up there for a weekend and as we arrived my dad asked me to help him move some stuff in the attic. I knew he was going to put me in the hot space to "help" him so I then removed my Glock from under my shirt and placed it on the workbench and he asked what was that for. Well after a long conversation he agreed with me and understood why I had it. Anyways it was just funny because I thought he already knew I had and carried a gun.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    The only time I've been found out is when a friend / co-worker confided in me that he was looking for a new EDC pistol. I told him what I was carrying at the time and we went back and forth like that. I just asked him to keep it beween us as I had no idea what others in my profession would think about me carrying (we were at a company get together at a local restuarant at the time).
    I have never been "caught" carrying and do not intend to when I CC. That's why it's called concealed.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've been "outed". Funny enough, it was by a 5-year-old. She tried to give me a hug, her head was exactly belt-high, and WHAM.... Ouch!!! , right into the butt of my gun. Everyone got a chuckle out of it (it was a family gathering), and she hugged me from the other side the next time.

I've not yet been "outed" while CC-ing in a more public setting. I've got a few "none of your business" and "yes, I am legally armed" responses ready for the off chance someone gets nosy.

Like you, I've long since stopped caring about "being discovered". In most circumstances, it really isn't that big of a deal. The vast majority of people are clueless and will never notice. Of the few that do notice, most don't care. Of those that care, most keep their opinion to themselves. Of those that can't keep their trap shut, many will actually have a positive comment. Of the nay-sayers.... I think it is ATM that recommends blowing kisses as you walk away!

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Squirrel!!!

I actually had my aunt-in-law give me a hug at a wedding over the summer. She felt my cc edc and had the "huh?" look on her face. I just responded, "Don't leave home unless it's on me!" She responded, "And I thank you for that." +1 to my aunt-in-law

Similar to this; it's probably happened a half dozen times or so to me. A female friend or acquaintance will run up and give me a hug and get the "whut?" look on their face. I kindly ask them to hug me from the other side in the future. One or two made the connection and have asked to go shoot sometime; one or two have made the connection, but not said anything; one or two remain utterly clueless.

It is my curse that I seem to collect an inordinate amount of hugs. Usually I can see them coming in time to turn it into a frontal or weak side hug... :)

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I believe it was about a year ago I was at the Tilted Kilt in Ft Wayne with a few friends. I was putting on my coat while ccing and I happened to look up towards a guy a few tables away, staring at me and his eyes were huge.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    I have been CC'n for 7 years, never been "called out" by a stranger...now, those that know me have (but then they are looking).

When I carry my DAO sp101 appendix, no one has ever noticed. The l'il lady has to feel to see if it is even on me. :rockwoot:

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    I have concealed carried now for around 5 years. The only people who know are my wife, parents, and father-in-law. Nobody else has ever caught on.

The worries about being discovered faded over time and now I almost don't care if someone figures it out. I often wonder what the reaction would be and how the conversation would go should that day ever come.

Has anyone ever been outed/discovered concealing? How did the reaction and resulting conversation go?

Use to worry about it... now. meehh... that's their issue... Just tell them (if a stranger...) your off-work job is head of security for a very important family in <state your general location> . Hardly anyone ever asks who the family is... and if they do, its a great opening to say... "My own."

(Red alert, Red Alert: ** Captain to CCC ** ENGAGE full restraints of typing finger weapons as to OC/CC thread jacking possibility... Roger: Fingers are now on full OC/CC lockdown... enter access code to release phalanges restraints...:):)

I think we (being carriers of whatever persuasion) tend to make a bigger deal about the firearms presence because we ALREADY know that it is there...
    That's why it is really a blessing to live in Indiana, because you not only have a choice to carry as you feel comfortable, but it's not as big a deal when being "discovered" as WE make it out to be... Most SHeeple are more curious, than alarmed ... because you are not acting in a hostile way... (assumption of Course)

If you are CC, you might as well assume you are going to get "made" eventually
    ----
    The second most important factor is YOUR reaction, not theirs..
    The MOST important factor, is to be CARRYING in the first place...:twocents:

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    Similar to this; it's probably happened a half dozen times or so to me. A female friend or acquaintance will run up and give me a hug and get the "whut?" look on their face. I kindly ask them to hug me from the other side in the future. One or two made the connection and have asked to go shoot sometime; one or two have made the connection, but not said anything; one or two remain utterly clueless.

It is my curse that I seem to collect an inordinate amount of hugs. Usually I can see them coming in time to turn it into a frontal or weak side hug... :)

Is that a gun you're carrying... or are you just happy to see me... Mae West?:):
    When I have CC'd the Hugs are the most likely time... you have to watch out for them coming.... ESPECIALLY from 5 year old Girls... they're dangerous....

I seem to get a lot of them to. (hugs) but thats probably due to my jolly "cuddly bear" cherubic demeanor....

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I've actually been "outed" twice since I started carrying in 1996. Once was at a Simon Mall when I was wearing a white shirt and my pistol showed through really well (embarrassing, it was) and a Security Guard went ballistic. I showed her my Special Deputy identification and she huffed off.

The second time was after church an elderly man asked me if I was "carrying". I asked him what made him think so, and he said "I'm carrying, too."

Jim Duncan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012

Yes, my wife caught me carrying at Victory Field..... once when she put her arm around my waist and felt a 1911 Government model back there.... and then again when we sat down and she felt a Ruger in my pocket. (Insert your own joke here).

Her reaction? "Why are you carring two?"

My response, "How do I know how many I will need?"

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I CC pretty much every day - I was outed one day by a friend who typically only sees me at the range, so when I didn't have a combat handgun in a holster on my hip he was curious to where my carry piece was. May have just been a lucky guess..

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Never been outed while CCing but thought I would once. I was with my father-in-law at Lowes getting some wood cut and I was helping the guy get the piece of wood up on the saw, meanwhile my jacket rode up and I was exposing my gun to everyone. I learned that I can't try to conceal wearing that jacket but I looked around and noticed that no one noticed. There where four others there (withing five feet of me), a mom and daughter, my father-in-law, and the Lowes employee, none of them knew I was carrying.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    My cousin is mentally ill. Even when he is taking his pills properly he can still get unruly. He asked me for a ride to the store. as we got out of the car I had to shift my pistol a little bit and he saw me doing it. it was then that the snowball started to roll.

He began a monolog that started like a train, slow and quiet. Like a train it was soon hauling balls very loudly. It went something like this; "Hey, what is that? Is that a gun? NO! yes? HELL NO! what? What do you think? Do you want to shoot somebody? Who are you going to shoot? What? You could even shoot me! Do you think you're bad with that gun? why don't you shoot somebody! go ahead shoot somebody! Why don't you shoot me?! Go ahead! SHOOT ME, BAD ASS! WHY NOT SHOOT ME?!!!

by the time we got in the middle of the parking lot he was rocking in a full-tilt psychotic episode, and I had all I would take. I stopped and punched him in the chest, knocking him to the pavement. I then kicked him in the ribs, hard, twice. As he was getting his breath back sitting in cub's parking lot, I asked him if he wanted me to shoot him now. He said no and was quiet until I got him home.

Upon questioning him at his house I figured out that he was out of his pills for a week. I went straight to the pharmacy and got them. If he had done what he did to anybody else it would of been a bad deal all around.

I have never wanted to shoot a guy more in my whole life!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom