• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goneape

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    Carmel
    I know that gencon frowns upon carrying, but has anyone who's been there this year had any problems with CC? Metal detectors?? I see threads from previous years but I figure it's best to see if there's recent experience.

im thinking of going this weekend and don't want to deal with any unnecessary hassle.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Yeah, GenCon carry is forbidden. I haven't been in years but I doubt they will have metal detectors. Mostly the entry folks worry about the LARPers and others in costume as many carry blades that will screw up up and are sharp. They seal thos somehow so they cannot be drawn. same with the various "guns" in you costume so either you cannot carry them or they are either inoperable (nothing can be shot from them) or they can likewise be disabled at the door. I have carried concealed there in the past though. YMMV as I say it has been some time since I went (10+ years)

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Just OC and tell 'em your a gunkin and find sexual release in OCing. Then they'll embrace you.

p.s. YMMV

JamesInMD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2016
    Laurel
    GenCon is nearly upon us once again! I will be heading to Indy from out-of-state, and I'm torn as to whether or not I want to plan to CC while at GenCon or not. Anyone notice any changes in security last year? Or heard about planned changes this year? On the one hand, I don't want to be walking back to my hotel late at night without protection, but on the other hand, I don't want to have my vacation ruined by getting myself banned from GenCon.

For context, I live in Maryland, and we have essentially no CC culture here. Our discussion is "how do we get the laws changed to allow people to get permits?", not "what do I do if I have a permit?".

EDIT: I have permits/licenses from 3 States, Utah, Pennsylvania, and Maryland (rare and hard to get). I wasn't making an assumption that I could carry without a license/permit in Indiana. Because we have so few permit holders in Maryland (and Maryland does call ours a permit), there isn't any carry culture here. We don't have many discussions about the relative merits of OC vs CC. We don't hotly debate the wisdom or morality of carry in a signed location. We just peer longingly into Free America and try to bend as many ears in Annapolis as we can.

Last edited:

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Wait...if you live in Maryland and have no permit/license/ccw or whatever...then wouldn't it be illegal for you to carry in indiana as well? India honors many other states permits.....I'm a little confused by this statement...am I missing something?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Wait...if you live in Maryland and have no permit/license/ccw or whatever...then wouldn't it be illegal for you to carry in indiana as well? India honors many other states permits.....I'm a little confused by this statement...am I missing something?

Maybe he can carry under LEOSA.

JamesInMD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2016
    Laurel

Many of Maryland's gun-owning subjects get non-resident permits from other States like Utah and Virginia, which I understand are recognized in Indiana. I am one of the few who have been able to get a Maryland permit, in addition to permits from Utah and Pennsylvania.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Many of Maryland's gun-owning subjects get non-resident permits from other States like Utah and Virginia, which I understand are recognized in Indiana. I am one of the few who have been able to get a Maryland permit, in addition to permits from Utah and Pennsylvania.
    Ok, that makes sense. I'm glad you were able to get you permit as it sounds like a hassle

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    GenCon is nearly upon us once again! I will be heading to Indy from out-of-state, and I'm torn as to whether or not I want to plan to CC while at GenCon or not. Anyone notice any changes in security last year? Or heard about planned changes this year? On the one hand, I don't want to be walking back to my hotel late at night without protection, but on the other hand, I don't want to have my vacation ruined by getting myself banned from GenCon.

For context, I live in Maryland, and we have essentially no CC culture here. Our discussion is "how do we get the laws changed to allow people to get permits?", not "what do I do if I have a permit?".

Welcome to the United States of America. Spike _351 is right, carrying a handgun in Indiana (not on your property, not black powder, pre-1899, etc.) requires a license (not a permit in Indiana, a license and we will beat that dead horse). The link below is an outstanding resource.

Handgunlaw.us

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Your Maryland licence is okay for carry in Indiana. No guns signs do not carry the force of law, however if you are found out and asked to leave, then you must do so immediately or are subject to arrest for trespass. That said, I don't know if GenCon would take any additional steps to revoke your access after disarming.

As for the time zone issue, Indy is on Eastern time now, so that won't be a problem for you.

JamesInMD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2016
    Laurel
    Welcome to the United States of America. Spike _351 is right, carrying a handgun in Indiana (not on your property, not black powder, pre-1899, etc.) requires a license (not a permit in Indiana, a license and we will beat that dead horse). The link below is an outstanding resource.

Handgunlaw.us

Based on that, any of my 2 permits (UT, MD) or 1 license (PA) should be sufficient for my legal CC in Indiana. And it says that a "no guns" sign has no force of law in Indiana. So, what are the recent experiences in GenCon like? Not worth the risk of ruining my vacation by getting kicked out? Or "concealed means concealed" and everything will probably be ok? I can see what a few people here have said about years past, but that doesn't change the fact that my wife will be extremely displeased with me if I ruin our vacation because of some dumb gun thing.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Unless things change this year, it is "concealed means concealed", but you are still running the risk. There has been no general wanding or metal detectors.

Also, just picking a nit for you. Kelly unintentionally misled you about licenses/permits. Any of yours are fine here. It is just that Indiana issues a "License To Carry Handgun"/LTCH, so calling the Indiana version a permit would get you picked on.

JamesInMD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2016
    Laurel
    As for the time zone issue, Indy is on Eastern time now, so that won't be a problem for you.

Haha! That's good to know. I grew up in Dayton, Ohio, and realized after the events in question that I had only been to Indy during the fall after DST ended. Well, one summer about 15 years ago, a friend and I decided to see a movie that was only showing nearby at the theater in Richmond, IN. So we high-tail it over there, arriving just in time. When we got to the ticket counter the guy tells us in a bored monotone, "You know that movie doesn't start for an hour, right?" "Huh? Doesn't it start at 6:30?" "You guys are from Ohio, aren't you?" "D'oh!"

JamesInMD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2016
    Laurel
    Unless things change this year, it is "concealed means concealed", but you are still running the risk. There has been no general wanding or metal detectors.

Sure. Just trying to understand the risk. I can live with the risk of being told I have to leave if armed, but if it's "zero tolerance" "and don't come back", it might be a too much risk. I also don't know if it's going to be the sort of environment where, after 12 hours surrounded by smelly geeks (myself included in that), baking in the summer sun, I will wish I didn't have the extra 23oz hanging on my belt (or, more accurately, my good suspenders that hold everything where it needs to be).

Also, just picking a nit for you. Kelly unintentionally misled you about licenses/permits. Any of yours are fine here. It is just that Indiana issues a "License To Carry Handgun"/LTCH, so calling the Indiana version a permit would get you picked on.

That's fair. Of the three documents I have, 2 are permits and 1 is a license. Not knowing the full history of the license/permit debate, I have a feeling my Maryland "permit" is exactly why citizens of a free state (rather than subjects of the Free State) would prefer the term "license".

Top Bottom