• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Time to take an objective look at an epidemic. Why are so many kids developing behavior problems today? Overall 25% of kids are on chronic meds for some disease or another. A large chunk of those are psychotropic medications for Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity.

1. Genetic factors may be a contributing factor, but it doesn't make sense as the only factor when you consider how much more prevalent it is becoming. Simple fact; there are no epidemics of genetic diseases. Think about it. Our diseases are due to what we are exposed to and what we are doing, far more than genetics.

2. Diet could be a contributor. It has long been suspected that artificial food dyes found in processed foods are one of the contributing factors toward ADHD and other childhood behavioral problems. Do you feed your kids pop tarts, gummy bears, processed cereals, "fruit snacks," and all the other junk foods that so many parents think are staples of a normal diet? Or have you switched to organic foods and observed the change in your child? Its worth a shot to find out right? Quit eating garbage and perhaps some internal reaction will cease to spur on the behavior issues.

Are Food Dyes Fueling Kids' Hyperactivity? | ABC News

Food Dye and ADHD | WebMD

3. Vaccines have been linked to starting all kinds of life-long diseases, and ADHD is no exception. Do some research, there are plenty of sources out there finding the same thing. Here is a study that found that correlation between being vaccinated and having neurological disorders and ADHD.

To the vaccine defenders I ask you this: If they admit that vaccines can give you brain damage, seizures, paralysis, and death, how can anyone deny that they also are causing many more subtle life-long disorders like ADHD?

Vaccinated Children 224% More Likely To Have ADHD

Understanding the connection to vaccines | ADHDChildParenting.com

These studies are not definitive, but there are some interesting things to think about and try out, before you medicate your child. Try cutting the processed food out and replacing everything with an organic substitute. Yeah it will take some effort, and your family's health is worth it. Medication carries tons of unknowns and unforeseen consequences. :twocents:

One other thing; I haven't fathered any kids yet. I'm just tossing some ideas out there for you to consider.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    I think bad parenting and lack of discipline cause ADHD. Also teachers who don't believe in taking the time to make material interesting and would rather drug kids into a stupor to compensate for their lack of skill.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I think bad parenting and lack of discipline cause ADHD. Also teachers who don't believe in taking the time to make material interesting and would rather drug kids into a stupor to compensate for their lack of skill.

Yeah, and give a little credit to our public schools! :D

Gotta believe this over "vaccines" and junk science. Kids are not longer raised by their parents, but by television and similar. They are innundated with sensationalized imagery, so things like school and everyday life are VERY boring in comparison. They tried the ADHD thing on me during grade school, wanted to do medicince, etc... My parents simple turned off the TV. Grades went back up, they recinded the desire to drug me up.

Get parent's off their butt, fire bad teachers, turn off the TV for kids, limit processed sugars (that is a BIG THING right there) and you will have little angels from the 1950s again.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Second bad parenting, which leads to giving kids sugar and caffeine, and the lack of discipline. I saw a lady giving a Coke (not even diet) to her <5 year old the other day. She then had NO control over her 3 children throughout her entire meal. Wonder why?

Personally, I believe the vast majority of all ADHD cases are mis-diagnosed.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Overall 25% of kids are on chronic meds for some disease or another. A large chunk of those are psychotropic medications for Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity.

Let's start our analysis with clear thinking, instead of lumping dissimilar things together, as if they're all the same phenomena. Your 25% number includes kids on heart meds, antihypertensives, antihyperglycemics, pain meds, asthma meds, and all kinds of other therapies.

If this is a global discussion about kids' health, your 25% number might be relevant.

If this is a discussion about psychiatric and behavioral symptoms, then the 25% number is not relevant.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Yeah the doctor said I had ADD.

My dad called it though, he said I had "A** and Ear" syndrome, I wouldn't listen till you hit me in the a**.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    it's quite obvious. modern medicine and drug companies have obviously slipped something into pregnancy vitamins which makes kids all Manchurian candidate and they are completely normal until school hits and the prerequisite school shots activate the nano technology kids are born with. because there is no way in hell social morals have degraded in the last 50 years and to even suggest such a thing is preposterous.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    it's quite obvious. modern medicine and drug companies have obviously slipped something into pregnancy vitamins which makes kids all Manchurian candidate and they are completely normal until school hits and the prerequisite school shots activate the nano technology kids are born with. because there is no way in hell social morals have degraded in the last 50 years and to even suggest such a thing is preposterous.

If ADHD is due to lack of parental morals, then you must not believe ADHD is a real disorder at all. Which would lead me to believe you don't think medicine is a good substitute for immoral parenting. I don't think doctors and parents are going to appreciate you discrediting their diseases.

This thread is predicated on the premise that ADHD is a real, treatable disease. Feel free to express your opinion if you feel otherwise.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If ADHD is due to lack of parental morals, then you must not believe ADHD is a real disorder at all. Which would lead me to believe you don't think medicine is a good substitute for immoral parenting. I don't think doctors and parents are going to appreciate you discrediting their diseases.

So, this is a disease? I'm all confused now!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So, ADHD is a disease that causes children to speak when not spoken to?
    I'll let others debate the "disease" part, but in short, (from the article I linked), yes:

Hyperactivity symptoms:
    Fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat
    Leaves seat when remaining seated is expected
    Runs about or climbs in inappropriate situations
    Difficulty playing quietly
    Often "on the go," acts as if "driven by a motor," talks excessively

Impulsivity symptoms:
    Blurts out answers before questions have been completed
    Difficulty awaiting turn
    Interrupts or intrudes on others (butts into conversations or games)

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Second bad parenting, which leads to giving kids sugar and caffeine, and the lack of discipline. I saw a lady giving a Coke (not even diet) to her <5 year old the other day. She then had NO control over her 3 children throughout her entire meal. Wonder why?

Personally, I believe the vast majority of all ADHD cases are mis-diagnosed.

Maybe feeding your kid a bunch of manufactured dies and chemicals without exploring their effects on health counts as bad parenting too.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    ADD and ADHD were en vogue diagnosis of the 90s now it seems autism and aspergers is the disorder de jour.

That's not to say kids don't have whatever problem.

I remember the test I took in 3rd grade for ADD. At recess I was pulled into the library set up in front if the first laptop in existence facing the window that overlooked the playground (where the rest of my class was). The test consisted of hitting the space bar when the X showed up on the screen.

Guess who failed the test and was on ritilin for five years.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    ADD and ADHD were en vogue diagnosis of the 90s now it seems autism and aspergers is the disorder de jour.

That's not to say kids don't have whatever problem.
    Yep. One of 3 things:
    - medical science is progressing, and we can identify illnesses that were ignored in prior years
    - new illnesses are popping up, due to any number of factors (natural or man-made)
    - classifying unwanted behavior as an illness is big money and gives parents an easy "out" (not their fault, and this pill will fix it)

I remember the test I took in 3rd grade for ADD. At recess I was pulled into the library set up in front if the first laptop in existence facing the window that overlooked the playground (where the rest of my class was). The test consisted of hitting the space bar when the X showed up on the screen.

Guess who failed the test and was on ritilin for five years.
    10:1, any kid placed in the same situation would have the same result.

Top Bottom