• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I wonder what the ceiling on ammo will be.

We've reached the ceiling as far as I'm concerned (everywhere but Walmart). I will not pay $300/1000 for 9mm or $400/1000 for 45acp. However I did make a special trip to a Walmart today after being alerted that they had 9mm in stock and was shocked to find it and buy it for $8.97/50! They did limit purchases to four boxes or it would have been gone by the time I got there.

The fact that WM is still selling at this price PROVES the price spikes are demand driven only and not related to higher costs.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    How many rounds is enough?

Since there really is no such number I think the better question is, how much is enough for NOW? If everyone doesn't find their magic number soon, we're simply going to price ourselves out of business. The only ammo I've bought in the last year was a few thousand 22RF and even that was quite some time ago. You don't want to know how many rounds I go through in a year.:rolleyes:

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    When we hit the ceiling the bottom will fall out.

The big ammo scare of 2009 will end. When it does and everyone stops buying because they don't need/want/can't afford/run out of room for more the ammo will sit on the shelves until the price falls and people feel comfortable with it again. The end result of all this "Obamafication", hoarding and panic buying will be a well armed and stockpiled population. Maybe all this is not such a bad thing after all. I heard rumors that the populations of middle ease countries had stockpiling of weapons and ammo by the civilians during their wars with neighboring countries like in Iraq, Afghanistan and Israel.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Its gun dealers as well reaping the benefits of the stockpile craze/. I talked to the gun guy at the walmart in Columbus a few weeks ago. He said there was a gun shop owner that came down when he got bullets in and bought all the 9mm he had at $9 a box and took it to Indy to sell for $15.
    Hopefully it will come back down but I'm not betting on it.Folks are just too scared.

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The big ammo scare of 2009 will end. When it does and everyone stops buying because they don't need/want/can't afford/run out of room for more the ammo will sit on the shelves until the price falls and people feel comfortable with it again. The end result of all this "Obamafication", hoarding and panic buying will be a well armed and stockpiled population. Maybe all this is not such a bad thing after all. I heard rumors that the populations of middle ease countries had stockpiling of weapons and ammo by the civilians during their wars with neighboring countries like in Iraq, Afghanistan and Israel.

:yesway:Repped

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I never thought I'd say this, but I am thankful for Walmart's integrity in continuing to sell their limited supply of ammo at lower prices than they know they could get. It PROVES that the price spikes are demand driven, not cost driven. It also shows that it is not the manufacturers taking advantage of the situation, it is most likely the distributors. I suspect most reliable gun shops are simply trying to maintain their margins. It doesn't help their gun sales to pile on in the ammo department.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I got lucky and found 2 boxes of Federal .22LR bulk pack 550/$14.88. Already got the .22 rifle. Think I am going to do a lot of plinking to ride the storm out until prices start to fall.

Truckerman79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    McCordsville, IN
    I talked to the gun guy at the walmart in Columbus a few weeks ago. He said there was a gun shop owner that came down when he got bullets in and bought all the 9mm he had at $9 a box and took it to Indy to sell for $15.

This is why some of us peons "stalk" Walmart. Why would anyone want to pay 50% more than a product's worth?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    To add to my previous rant :D :
    After the bubble bursts...

I had a startling thought. While some dealers/distributors are "on our side" and price appropriately, many local dealers aren't so much that attuned towards us. Take for example a price on random product X: Online, they sell it for $10 bucks, there is always shipping. Group it with other stuff, you may have $12-15 for product X. Local store may have it, maybe $20, to cover overhead and make a few bucks. Given the availability, the Product X at the dealer may seem a decent idea as it appeals to the instant gratification that many have. There are the two comparisons. NOW, take for example that you mention to the local dealer that it is $10+shipping online. A good dealer may try to make a deal or straight tell you that they are only "Y% over cost". There are a great many dealers (in my experience) that will straight tell you to get it online then. These dealers are going to be the issue in the upcoming bubble burst.

These dealers, even though their costs are now MUCH lower due to higher availability (given the theoretical bubble burst), will probably not lower their pricing on existing products. There have been several dealers that I visited that, even though the market value on something is now lower, will not come down on the pricing. Even if it is not something they bought at the peak pricing (read: high pricing point), they will try to keep their pricing up. They will be reluctant to reduce their pricing and may even become hostile to customers if they mention lower pricing.

While the bubble will burst and pricing will eventually be lower soon, local dealers may be MUCH slower to react, if at all.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    To add to my previous rant :D :
    After the bubble bursts...

I had a startling thought. While some dealers/distributors are "on our side" and price appropriately, many local dealers aren't so much that attuned towards us. Take for example a price on random product X: Online, they sell it for $10 bucks, there is always shipping. Group it with other stuff, you may have $12-15 for product X. Local store may have it, maybe $20, to cover overhead and make a few bucks. Given the availability, the Product X at the dealer may seem a decent idea as it appeals to the instant gratification that many have. There are the two comparisons. NOW, take for example that you mention to the local dealer that it is $10+shipping online. A good dealer may try to make a deal or straight tell you that they are only "Y% over cost". There are a great many dealers (in my experience) that will straight tell you to get it online then. These dealers are going to be the issue in the upcoming bubble burst.

These dealers, even though their costs are now MUCH lower due to higher availability (given the theoretical bubble burst), will probably not lower their pricing on existing products. There have been several dealers that I visited that, even though the market value on something is now lower, will not come down on the pricing. Even if it is not something they bought at the peak pricing (read: high pricing point), they will try to keep their pricing up. They will be reluctant to reduce their pricing and may even become hostile to customers if they mention lower pricing.

While the bubble will burst and pricing will eventually be lower soon, local dealers may be MUCH slower to react, if at all.

Then there would be a great oppotunity for you to start your own guns and ammo business to undercut these guys and still make huge profits due to the enormous amount of sales you would have.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Demand > Supply = Price increases

Until supply catches up to demand or demand drops, prices will continue to increase. I enjoy shooting and don't intend to stop just because ammo has gone up, I can still afford it so I'm gonna do it. I don't see a need to apologize for this, I'm no hoarder, I shoot what I buy and since I shoot a lot, I buy in bulk when I can. Talk of curbing your habits to try and bring ammo prices down are as useful as boycotting gas, they don't work.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Yeah, I always love those "Don't anyone buy any gas this Friday so we can stick it to the oil companies". Explain to me how that works if the same number of miles are driven and you just buy your gas on Thursday or Saturday instead. Now if everyone didn't drive at all on any particular day, it would make some impact.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Yeah, I always love those "Don't anyone buy any gas this Friday so we can stick it to the oil companies". Explain to me how that works if the same number of miles are driven and you just buy your gas on Thursday or Saturday instead. Now if everyone didn't drive at all on any particular day, it would make some impact.

But that would inconvenience me and that just can't happen.

Spot Me 2

Expert
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    The walmart by me had blazer 9 mm for 8.97 a box. They had a limit of 3 per cust. up here though. I guess you can sell ammo for the OLD prices if you just out a limit on it.:rolleyes:

It's nice to know my local gun shops are trying to cram it up my A$$ to make a little extra. I guesss the tens of thousands I have spent with them in the past 20+ years doesn't mean anything to them. Why do I feel like my best friend just sucker punch me?:dunno:

Last edited:

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    7.62 x 25 TOK ammo is very cheap. 2400+ rnds about $250 at SOG.
    More confirmation that manufacturer's costs have not gone up. In fact, all metal prices are half what they were last summer. Prices will come down. Everyone just needs to be patient and not overbuy.

What do you think metal prices were when that ammo was manufactured?

Then there would be a great oppotunity for you to start your own guns and ammo business to undercut these guys and still make huge profits due to the enormous amount of sales you would have.
    No kidding. If its doable, do it! ;)

Top Bottom