Cartridge exploded in the chamber. I need help!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • insomnitec

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    M&P15-22 - Cartridge exploded in the chamber. I need help!

Update: Obviously the cat is out of the bag, so I will go ahead and admit that the firearm in question is indeed the Smith & Wesson M&P15-22. I'm sorry for not immediately stating this, but I honestly just do not know if it may have impacted Smith & Wesson's liability for the matter. I am also adding some photos at the bottom of this post in a moment.

I am a bit leery to post this, but I am counting on the mature, responsible members of this forum to help me resolve a serious firearm safety concern.

I have had a long and upsetting experience with a certain brand and model firearm. I want to be specific, but I'm afraid I may say something that I shouldn't or interfere with a possible solution to the problem. To get to the point, I will say this; I have been communicating with the manufacturer of this firearm since the day I first purchased it. I was having repeated issues with the firearm failing to fire, failing to chamber, and failing to eject and I requested a new replacement of the firearm after I had decided it was defective. The manufacturer responded as I expected, stating that they could not replace it and that I should send it in to the factory to be repaired. Their answer was unacceptable to me, so I replaced the firearm on my own. I fully expected that this action would resolve my issue, but unfortunately I was sorely disappointed.

I took the brand new replacement to the range yesterday and prepared for a few hours of target practice. I loaded 3 magazines and began to shoot. Each magazine holds 25 rounds and after about the first 15 shots, I had a cartridge that failed to chamber. When this happened, I simply pulled the magazine out and removed the dented cartridge. I continued to fire the remaining rounds in the first magazine without issue. I inserted the second magazine and was able to fire 10 more shots. The 9th cartridge came out of the chamber with an excessive amount of powder burn, but it still fired appropriately. However, I was not so lucky with the 10th round. The 10th cartridge that I attempted to fire actually exploded inside the chamber of the firearm. Fortunately, I always take the necessary safety precautions and therefore I went unharmed. Had I not been wearing safety glasses, I could have very likely been seriously injured.

I have performed some research and determined that I am not the only individual that has been through this terrifying experience. This is why I am now extremely concerned. It appears that this company is currently manufacturing a defective product and I want to make sure they are held accountable. More importantly, I want to prevent this experience from happening to anyone else. Can you imagine giving your teenage son a small caliber rifle for Christmas, only to watch them lose their eyesight when they fired it? The problem is, I don't want to be misunderstood. I am a NRA member and obviously a supporter of the 2nd amendment. I am by no means attempting to hold this company accountable for unlawful use of their product, but only for the manufacturing of a defective product that has produced very serious safety concerns.

I have no idea how recalls come about. As far as I can tell, there is no government agency that regulates the production of firearms in terms of quality assurance. I don't want to address it directly with the company in question because I am concerned that my efforts will only result in a solution for me personally. I want to make sure that this company remembers what happened to me every time they manufacture a firearm. I also want to see them increase their QA procedures to a point that ensures the safety of every single one of their customers.

So the question is, how do I accomplish this? The only thing I knew to do was to collect the exploded pieces and to use my cell phone to record a video immediately after the incident and take pictures once I got home. I'm sure all of these things could be used to assist me in my efforts, but who do I give them to? Could/would the NRA actually be interested in assisting me? Who else can I contact that may be able to help? Are there specific groups that are dedicated to firearm quality and safety that would be interested in my story?

Let me be clear. I am not interested in making a quick buck or trying to use this experience to defame the company. I simply want to be compensated for a defective product and to hold the company accountable for this very serious safety concern. If that results in recall, so be it, but seeing as this company has had various recalls in the past, it does not seem like that alone will prevent them from manufacturing another defective product.

2e231cj.jpg
    2myte9t.jpg
    262wd9e.jpg

126eiqc.jpg
    e00bhy.jpg
    x1yfqa.jpg

35k4zg9.jpg
    30c3rdg.jpg
    358qmw8.jpg

2cf2xbp.jpg
    2u9q138.jpg
    r0qmvm.jpg

o86xom.jpg

Last edited:

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    There is no reason not to name the mfg and weapon model, you also need to name the ammo type.

Also, IMHO, you should have followed the mfg advice the first time and had them attempt to fix the first gun. Or you should have taken the gun to a gunsmith for diagnoses.

insomnitec

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    You haven't mentioned ammunition. That is going to be the first question.

The first question in what regard? The ammunition loaded into each magazine was a different brand, but all of the brands were standard factory ammo. I am not the only individual with this particular firearm that has had this experience. Wouldn't that rule out ammunition as a culprit?

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Document everything (looks like you have already a lot of info). Get the name and a statement from the RO - if there was one.

If you've found others having problems like yours one other forums, try to contact them. They can help establish a history of negative experience with the make or model.

A lawyer's service is something that will cost more than you can recoup from the manufacturer. So unless you get a good sized group of complaints, it's not going to make sense.

Bastispah

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Morristown IN
    almost the exact same thing happened to me with a Jimenez JA Nine. They arn't just crap, they're dangerous. I would talk to a lawyer. Good luck.

insomnitec

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    almost the exact same thing happened to me with a Jimenez JA Nine. They arn't just crap, they're dangerous. I would talk to a lawyer. Good luck.

Speaking of lawyers, does anyone know of a high powered pro-gun lawyer that might take this case?

Also, it is probably important to mention that this firearm is a .22 caliber rifle and it was not cheap. It originally cost me $525 after taxes, so for the money, I was certainly expecting a good quality, safe firearm.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Now that you brought the subject to everyones attention...why not tell us who the manufacturer is and the model, so we will not have to experience the same problems.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    ..... Their answer was unacceptable to me, so I replaced the firearm on my own....

....The 9th cartridge came out of the chamber with an excessive amount of powder burn, but it still fired appropriately.

................The 10th cartridge that I attempted to fire actually exploded inside the chamber of the firearm.

I always take the necessary safety precautions and therefore I went unharmed.

So...where is the first "defective" firearm?

Assuming the ammunition is the same between the two firearms - likely 22LR, and very likely an AR-15(ish), that's where I'd be looking for the problem. Most likely a squib load followed by a good one, or an out of battery discharge.

It would seem to me, that you got fair warning on shot #9, but chose to ignore it.

As you've described no property or personal damages, send the ammunition and both firearms back to the manufacturer, packaged seperately for evaluation.

If the firearm manufacturer doesn't seem interested - contact the ammunition manufacturer.

Last edited:

insomnitec

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    So...where is the first "defective" firearm?

Assuming the ammunition is the same between the two firearms - likely 22LR, and very likely an AR-15(ish), that's where I'd be looking for the problem. Most likely a squib load followed by a good one, or an out of battery discharge.

It would seem to me, that you got fair warning on shot #9, but chose to ignore it.

As you've described no property or personal damages, send the ammunition and both firearms back to the manufacturer, packaged seperately for evaluation.

If the firearm manufacturer doesn't seem interested - contact the ammunition manufacturer.

I did not recognize that shot #9 displayed an excessive amount of powder burn until after shot #10 exploded. Do you normally examine each spent shell immediately after you fire a round? There was no "fair warning".

As for your statement regarding "property or personal damages" goes, I think you're missing the point. I was not harmed because I took the necessary safety precautions. The manufacturer is not off the hook just because I was responsible in my actions. They should be held accountable, no matter if I was physically harmed or not.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    "The 9th cartridge came out of the chamber with an excessive amount of powder burn, but it still fired appropriately."

That sounds like an ammo issue. Also, I'm not sure why you are protecting the name of the manufacturer. You are under no legal counsel or obligation to do so. I think you would get more info from this thread if you gave us the specifics. It could also be valuable information for the rest of us.

If it were me, I'd get on the phone and call customer service and ask for the boss. Then I would ask for their boss......and continue to climb the management ladder. If you stay assertive enough, you will probably see results. From what you described, a lawyer would be overkill (mostly for your pocketbook). If you are truly worried about the general publics safety, then start organizing a class-action lawsuit. I will tell you from experience....make sure you are truly dedicated to the cause before you go this route.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Do you normally examine each spent shell immediately after you fire a round?

Doesn't sound unreasonable to me, considering you've already got rid of one for incorrect function.

So...what did you do with the first one?

The manufacturer is not off the hook just because I was responsible in my actions. They should be held accountable, no matter if I was physically harmed or not.

Somebody pay this man quickly.

Again, what did you do with your first "defective" S&W MP-22 rifle?

Just to make sure you got it the first time:

Steven

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2008
    Whitley County
    Have you checked the barrel for a squib yet, so far everything shown and stated sounds like squib round followed by a good one, IE; ammo related.

What happened to the first defective Rifle ?

mkelsey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Springville
    I have had a long and upsetting experience with a certain brand and model firearm. I want to be specific, but I'm afraid I may say something that I shouldn't or interfere with a possible solution to the problem. To get to the point, I will say this; I have been communicating with the manufacturer of this firearm since the day I first purchased it. I was having repeated issues with the firearm failing to fire, failing to chamber, and failing to eject and I requested a new replacement of the firearm after I had decided it was defective. The manufacturer responded as I expected, stating that they could not replace it and that I should send it in to the factory to be repaired. Their answer was unacceptable to me, so I replaced the firearm on my own. I fully expected that this action would resolve my issue, but unfortunately I was sorely disappointed.

Just curious as to why this was unacceptable? Isn't sending the firearm back how the replace / repair process works with every manufacturer?

Top Bottom