• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sheltowee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Seymour
    I ride a motorcycle a lot. I'm afraid to carry owb while riding. 2 reasons, if my shirt blows up from the wind it would be visible and just afraid when I get home my holster will be empty.

How do you motorcycle riders carry?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Perhaps you should look into a holster that has actual active retention?

And it's not illegal to have your shirt ride up/blow up to expose the handgun.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I often OC with a snap-top retention holster. My jacket is snug enough, so it's just better this way.

If you're seriously concerned about retention from your gun bouncing out, then you need to get a new holster, or a quality riding jacket; preferably both.

Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    I agree with JettaKnight....sounds like you need to invest in a quality holster with snap or other retention if you are that concerned.....I ride all the time carrying concealed with an open top OWB holster and never had an issue. Yeah, once in a while the t shirt blows up and may or may not have revealed the weapon but don't think its that big a deal really....just pull the shirt back down and keep going. You can always tuck the tail of the shirt between you and the seat if its long enough....

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Retention holster plus mesh riding jacket. First for firearm safety, second for riding safety. Not illegal to expose, but a riding jacket won't show much, bottom inch of the holster maybe.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    My son carries OWB with a Galco snap holster and rides a motorcycle several times a week.
    As for it showing, who cares?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I carry in a tank bag, not on my person when on a bike. I have been down several times, and down hard. (hospital stay followed by weeks in bed followed by weeks with a walker hard) The last thing I would want is a 1911 shaped piece crushed out of my pelvic bone or driven into my rib cage.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I have thousands of miles carrying on a bike and being from Illinois the law here says concealed only. I also don't make any changes to how I carry when riding. IWB has always been my preference and most of my holsters are "tuckable." If not wearing a tuckable I will tuck t-shirt into pants in front of and the rear of holster. This keeps things hidden while on the road then I un-tuck when I get off bike. Jim.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    My armored riding jacket has pockets on both sides that zip closed. I put pull tabs on both sides, a small revolver or automatic rides butt first and secure.

In hot weather, it is in a seat bag. Have to remove it discreetly when I stop.

Don

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    +1 for a better holster
    +1 for INDIANA: doesn't matter if it's visible
    +1 for riding jacket: always a good idea.

As for type and location of carry, it also depends on the bike/riding style. AIWB might not work so well on a crotch rocket hunched forward. 6 o'clock is a problem with a backrest/sissy bar (even some seats without a back, like my BMW cruiser that have a 2-3" rise to keep from sliding back).

As much as I don't like off-body carry, I've heard seen pics of what happens if you go down with it underneath and won't begrudge off-body carry on a bike. Statistically you're a lot more likely to go down.

Personally, usually IWB kydex with a tightly-adjusted friction retention (EDC) though I recently acquired a OWB leather with a retention switch on the guard that may displace it a bit on some trips.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Retention holster plus mesh riding jacket. First for firearm safety, second for riding safety. Not illegal to expose, but a riding jacket won't show much, bottom inch of the holster maybe.

It's hard to look like a badass with a mesh riding jacket. Don't you know the uniform? Black t-shirt, leather vest, do rag....you have to be an individual, just like everyone else.

....said the guy who always wears a mesh riding jacket.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It's hard to look like a badass with a mesh riding jacket. Don't you know the uniform? Black t-shirt, leather vest, do rag....you have to be an individual, just like everyone else.

....said the guy who always wears a mesh riding jacket.

Stupid rep martinets.

Why are all the "individuals" and "rebels" all alike and all forced to the same brand? :dunno:

And to stay on track - being left handed really helps when ridin' n shootin'!

Bob2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010
    I have ridden thousands of miles with a XDS in a Remora holster, with shirt tucked in or not, and it's never moved

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    And to stay on track - being left handed really helps when ridin' n shootin'!

Old Indian motorcycles, at least police spec ones, were left hand throttle because most officers shot revolvers better with their right hand. It sounds like you would naturally be a good motor officer with today's control arrangement

Top Bottom