• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbatten

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    Somewhere in Shelby Co.
    I know you can't carry if you are an adult chaperon at an school function event off school property or on school property. What about something like the Cub/Boy Scouts? My son is in the Cub Scouts and we go to places with the organization. They are talking about going on a hike. Can I carry as long as I'm not on a school property or post office, court house, yada yada yada.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    There's no LAW against it, given what you've said above.

Unfortunately the BSA has turned itself over to a bunch of nancy boy lawyers... so I don't bother asking. I just CC and roll (and obviously concealed means concealed). I wish I could give you a definitive answer one way or the other, but the above is MY answer.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    "Except for law enforcement officers required to carry firearms within their jurisdiction, firearms shall not be brought on camping, hiking, backpacking, or other Scouting activities except those specifically planned for target shooting under the supervision of a currently certified BSA or National Rifle Association firearms instructor."

source: Guns and Firearms

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Legally, I believe so. I am an Assistant Scout Master for troop 103 in Elkhart IN and I would not have a problem with it if a parent wanted to carry on a hike (as long as they were licensed). Now for the record, I am not 100% sure, and my scout troop is sponsored and meets at a church, not a school.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    "Except for law enforcement officers required to carry firearms within their jurisdiction, firearms shall not be brought on camping, hiking, backpacking, or other Scouting activities except those specifically planned for target shooting under the supervision of a currently certified BSA or National Rifle Association firearms instructor."

What are they going to do? Kick your kid out? If they do, look for another troop, most Scout Masters I know would not care. That being said, I agree with the idea of just strapping it on and keeping it concealed with no one knowing.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Boy Scouts would not take the "mistake" of a parent out on a scout. But carrying at any Boy Scout Camp is not allowed. One of the reasons I am no longer an Assistant Scoutmaster.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    The liberals are killing the BSA. And I'm a Den Leader.

Read BP's stuff from the early days and look at it now. It's really disgusting to me but I put up with it, trying to make a small change.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    BSA has been given a lot a grief in recent years for not allowing atheists in the organization. They've also had some unfortunate abuse cases. Therefore, they have strict policies in place to protect children. When I was a scoutmaster I was a LEO and didn't really give this subject any thought. My opinion (and that's all it is) would be to refrain from carrying on BSA property or council events. A troop function in a venue that would normally allow weapons is another story. I think too, as a parent, you'd have more latitude than a Scout leader.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    The BSA is anti-gun. Per their rules, you cannot carry at their functions.

It is legal, assuming you aren't entering school property or any other number of place/situations defined by law... but it IS against their rules.

It is my opinion I should be able to carry EVERYWHERE I go. No exceptions. (so long as it is legal) this is what I do. I suggest you do the same.

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    BSA has been given a lot a grief in recent years for not allowing atheists in the organization. They've also had some unfortunate abuse cases. Therefore, they have strict policies in place to protect children. When I was a scoutmaster I was a LEO and didn't really give this subject any thought. My opinion (and that's all it is) would be to refrain from carrying on BSA property or council events. A troop function in a venue that would normally allow weapons is another story. I think too, as a parent, you'd have more latitude than a Scout leader.

When I was a scout (many many moons ago) our assistant scoutmaster was a cop. One night he brought about 75 guns to our meeting and let the scouts paw through them to "get it out of our systems". Really helped to take the mystique away. Then we had an evening of gun safety training. It was great, but it would never hapen these days.

Did I mention it was in a school basement in Chicago.

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    When I was a scout (many many moons ago) our assistant scoutmaster was a cop. One night he brought about 75 guns to our meeting and let the scouts paw through them to "get it out of our systems". Really helped to take the mystique away. Then we had an evening of gun safety training. It was great, but it would never hapen these days.

Did I mention it was in a school basement in Chicago.

How many deaths and injuries occurred that evening? Any psychopaths born? What about kids being so scared as to never leave their home again?

In Chicago really? Amazing!

Buckaroo

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I don't carry to cub scout meetings because there is a school on the property where we meet. As far as when we meet away from that property... Unfortunately my feeling is that the BSA is more concerned about liability then the safety of the boys. The cub scouts don't even give belt loops for football or martial arts because they are too violent.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    The BSA is anti-gun. Per their rules, you cannot carry at their functions.

If the BSA is anti-gun, why do they promote the Shooting Sports through the Venturing Program( who shoot pistol, rifle, shotguns and muzzleloaders), require their firearms instructors to be NRA certified and offer shotgun, rifle and muzzleloading merit badges?

BSA has been given a lot a grief in recent years for not allowing atheists in the organization.

Are they not a private organization and allowed to set their own rules?

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    If the BSA is anti-gun, why do they promote the Shooting Sports...

In much the same way that Fudds are often considered anti:

They're more than willing to throw large components of the RKBA under the bus as long as their "preferred" arms, sports or methods are left intact.

skseifert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Boggstown
    Guns are not allowed. Too many lawyers have tainted the scouts. Still a good organization. They have successfully stuck to their religious principles so far (which is of many reasons I ban united way from any of my funds)

Top Bottom