• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spacebar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 15, 2022
    Muncie
    Hey guys, business has been slow, so I've been delivering on food apps to places. I was just wondering what I should do when I need to deliver inside of a school. Is it okay for me to leave my gun in my car? Does my car need to be 1000 feet away from the school zone? Can it be in the parking lot? Do I need to leave my spare magazine in the car as well?

Any help is appreciated.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    You can leave it secured in your vehicle and park on school property, no need to park a thousand feet away

And yes leave your magazine in the car!…if possible I’d leave my holster in the car as well, if your seen with a empty holster, it’d draw attention and you might end meeting with the school resource officer and have some explaining to do.

Spacebar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 15, 2022
    Muncie
    You can leave it secured in your vehicle and park on school property, no need to park a thousand feet away

And yes leave your magazine in the car!…if possible I’d leave my holster in the car as well, if your seen with a empty holster, it’d draw attention and you might end meeting with the school resource officer and have some explaining to do.
    Alright, thank you. Appreciate the help.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Hey guys, business has been slow, so I've been delivering on food apps to places. I was just wondering what I should do when I need to deliver inside of a school. Is it okay for me to leave my gun in my car? Does my car need to be 1000 feet away from the school zone? Can it be in the parking lot? Do I need to leave my spare magazine in the car as well?

Any help is appreciated.
    Do you have a LTCH? I know there are a few disconnects between school zones and Constitutional Carry, opposed to carrying with a LTCH.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Do you have a LTCH? I know there are a few disconnects between school zones and Constitutional Carry, opposed to carrying with a LTCH.
    Yes. It's a bit of a "gray area" in federal law 18 USC Sec 922 without a LTCH, although I found no evidence of anyone being prosecuted who wasn't also prosecuted for more serious crimes.

Your car is fine. Please see:
    IC 35-47-9 Chapter 9. Possession of Firearms on School Property and School Buses
    Sec. 1. (a) This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (3) Except as provided in subsection (b) or (c), a person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle.
    (5) Except as provided in subsection (b) or (c), a person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses only a firearm that is:
    (i) locked in the trunk of the person's motor vehicle;
    (ii) kept in the glove compartment of the person's locked motor vehicle; or
    (iii) stored out of plain sight in the person's locked motor vehicle.
    [sections b and c pertain to students and vehicles that are owned by the school respectively]

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Legal to have ammo and magazines on school property. My daughter's elementary school principal saw that I had a holster, sloppy conceal. She called me later about it, just to let me know that guns weren't allowed on school property. And she didn't want me to get in trouble. She knew I carried and her husband was LEO.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I was going to ask a similar question but this looks like a good follow up.

I've been walking lately (doctors request) for weight loss. I live easily within two (2) blocks of three (3) separate schools. I believe walking armed I do not run afoul of Indiana law so long as I don't step a toe on school property.

However, federal law is my concern. I don't think I can walk off of my property without being within 1,000 feet of a school. And depending upon which direction I go I'll be within 1,000' for several blocks.

Do I run a risk of arrest waling near a school staying on a public sidewalk or not? Are local police empowered to enforce federal law? I believe so but am not 100%.

Thanks,

Doug

PS - Thanks to Kirk for reminding me of the railroad tracks!

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I was going to ask a similar question but this looks like a good follow up.

I've been walking lately (doctors request) for weight loss. I live easily within two (2) blocks of three (3) separate schools. I believe walking armed I do not run afoul of Indiana law so long as I don't step a toe on school property.

However, federal law is my concern. I don't think I can walk off of my property without being within 1,000 feet of a school. And depending upon which direction I go I'll be within 1,000' for several blocks.

Do I run a risk of arrest waling near a school staying on a public sidewalk or not? Are local police empowered to enforce federal law? I believe so but am not 100%.

Thanks,

Doug

PS - Thanks to Kirk for reminding me of the railroad tracks!
    If you have an LTCH the fed 1000ft rule doesn't apply. As for locals enforcing fed law, short answer no. Longer answer they need specific authorization from the feds to be able to, basically they get deputized by the feds. It's not common and the authorization is generally for specific crimes/operations.

IANAL/TINLA.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If you have an LTCH the fed 1000ft rule doesn't apply. As for locals enforcing fed law, short answer no. Longer answer they need specific authorization from the feds to be able to, basically they get deputized by the feds. It's not common and the authorization is generally for specific crimes/operations.

IANAL/TINLA.

Thanks!

Top Bottom