• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Well I'm gonna be visiting the great state of ohio this next week for traing for work and just curious of their gun laws? I know I can't carry a pistol there but if intake a long gun such as an AR or defensive shotgun what are the specifics on auto carry/transportation of these firearms?.thanks........tim

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    ??

I know I cannot carry a pistol in ohio with an indiana ltch but can I take a loaded long gun such as an ar-15??.....

kong1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Pendleton
    I wouldn't.....I spent my first 44 years in Ohio and we were never allowed to carry a loaded weapon in our vehicle....I don't know though now that they have CCW and all, but I bet they would frown on an out of stater with a loaded AR.....

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    kong1911

that's what I'm afraid of.. Can't really find any specific info on carry of long guns in an auto that are loaded and ready to go if needed........ SUCKS! Reallywould like to know for sure....

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Sure you can. You don't even need a license to open carry a handgun in Ohio.

You must unload and encase it out of reach while in a vehicle, but when you get out you can reload and holster it on you again.

LOL, seriously? That's one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

Unloaded and encased while driving, but feel free to load that bad boy up and flaunt it when you get out of the car.:n00b:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Unloaded and encased while driving, but feel free to load that bad boy up and flaunt it when you get out of the car.:n00b:

I guess it's because people get mad when they are driving, so that prevents you from killing someone, once you get out of the car you calm down right away.
    That's a well known fact among law makers. :): :rolleyes:

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg

Before Act 35 went into law for us in WI on 11/1/11, we had to do that crap because of a DNR regulation. Now we don't even need the stupid piece of paper that says we can carry in the car! :rockwoot: ...just need to watch out for those magical school zones though... :rolleyes:

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    Why don't you try calling the county sheriff's office? I am sure the blue-haired county employee with the over-inflated ego that tells people at parties that she works for the sheriff that answers the phone will be more than happy to tell that it is best that you leave it at home for the safely of the Ohio citizens regarless of what the actual law says.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Because the odds of getting a legally accurate answer are slim.

Listen to the wise chinese man! :)

That's true, once again cops are not lawyers and many of them are not aware of the law.
    I remenber some threads where people reported that some cops told them that OC was NOT legal in Indiana and that they could get in trouble for that.
    Yet those cops didn't arrest the one menber who was OCing ... for those reason even though he was carrying illegaly according to those cops. :dunno:

That means that those cops KNEW it was legal (otherwise they would have arrested him for that) and yet they tried to turn their personnal opinion on OC into law. :noway:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It's being considered. It's not passed yet, and the chance of it being signed by Barry Hussein aren't very good. We'll see how it goes.

Blessings,
    Bill

He signed a law allowing gun carry in national parks. :dunno:

He may sign this one too if he wants the vote of 80 millions of gun owners.

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Can't really find any specific info on carry of long guns in an auto that are loaded and ready to go if needed........ SUCKS! Reallywould like to know for sure....

Loaded rifle mags in car == felony. You can ONLY have mags loaded that are for your carried weapon. I know its a stupid law, but that is the way it is in OH for now...:rolleyes:

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss

You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.

Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...

Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    I moved to Indiana in 2010 from Ohio, and when I transported my guns back in the Cincy area I keep the ammo in the back seat and the guns in the trunk, again, I am not a lawyer but I was told that there has to be a minimum of "3 steps" for the gun to be used and the ammo had to be seperate. But then again that was before I had a permit and with my handguns while going to gun ranges from home.

Top Bottom