• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Here's one for the legal experts. I'm looking for some legal clarification on the the part of the Indiana Code says I can not carry on school property.

Here's my situation. My church operates an elementary school. Between the church and the school, the campus is relatively large. The church owns the school, so techincally speaking the school is on church property. In terms of who owns the land and the school, the church is not on school property. There is a separate parking lot for the church and the school. The church building and the shcool building are connected through corridors, you can walk bewteen the church and the school without going outside. The school is not in session on Saturdays and Sundays, so the property is not being used for a school function at the same time as the Saturday evening or Sunday services. So, am I breaking the law if I carry in this church during a Saturday or Sunday service due to the elementary school being on the church property?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Here's one for the legal experts. I'm looking for some legal clarification on the the part of the Indiana Code says I can not carry on school property.

Here's my situation. My church operates an elementary school. Between the church and the school, the campus is relatively large. The church owns the school, so techincally speaking the school is on church property. In terms of who owns the land and the school, the church is not on school property. There is a separate parking lot for the church and the school. The church building and the shcool building are connected through corridors, you can walk bewteen the church and the school without going outside. The school is not in session on Saturdays and Sundays, so the property is not being used for a school function at the same time as the Saturday evening or Sunday services. So, am I breaking the law if I carry in this church during a Saturday or Sunday service due to the elementary school being on the church property?

It sounds to me- without looking at property line maps and deeds etc that you would need permission from the property owner to carry there without running afoul of the law. IANAL

This law needs repealed or overhauled in a serious way.

Also: it matters not one iota that school is not in session on the weekend. A school is always a school.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    It sounds to me- without looking at property line maps and deeds etc that you would need permission from the property owner to carry there without running afoul of the law. IANAL

This law needs repealed or overhauled in a serious way.

Also: it matters not one iota that school is not in session on the weekend. A school is always a school.

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I will no longer be carrying at church. I totally agree with you on the need for overhaul or repeal of this law. As in so many other examples, the law in this case is as clear as mud.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I will no longer be carrying at church. I totally agree with you on the need for overhaul or repeal of this law. As in so many other examples, the law in this case is as clear as mud.

I would at least attempt to get permission to carry before I went unarmed. As was said earlier in the thread, get real familiar with Nehemiah and bring it up if the pastor is not a fan of armed church goers.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I went to Thanksgiving eve services tonight with my sister. I told her jokingly as we were getting ready to walk in that I was armed and dangerous. She paused for a moment then asked "in church". I told her "yes, I carry everywhere". She then asked if it was in my purse since I had been body carrying early in the week. I told her that it was and that it was loaded. Since it was concealed, she was OK with me having it and nothing else was said about it.

Although my sister's church is a small country church with predominately older parishioners, I didn't want to leave my gun in the car. I didn't offer and she didn't suggest it.

Lilboy1023

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I carry everywhere I possibly can. I have carried in many churches I have went to. Most of the pastors have known I carry and are fine like you said. Just too many weird people out there that have bad things on their mind. I want to be able to protect my family and friends as well as I can. Just because it is a church won't keep the bad things and people wanting to do harm away, IMO.

Spazzmodicus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    IMO a pastor not willing to protect his flock is an irresponsible pastor.

You're opening a theological can of worms with this but, it is not the pastor's responsibility to protect his flock. It's God's. The pastor is doing what he is supposed to do by instructing the flock in faith and trust in God. The "source material" is replete with examples of what happens when some take matters into their own hands. There is a time for everything. A time to arm-up.....and a time to simply trust in God. A pastor's job is to teach how to discern between the two. A pastor who only teaches that arming oneself is the answer to all, is an irresponsible pastor.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    You're opening a theological can of worms with this but, it is not the pastor's responsibility to protect his flock. It's God's. The pastor is doing what he is supposed to do by instructing the flock in faith and trust in God. The "source material" is replete with examples of what happens when some take matters into their own hands. There is a time for everything. A time to arm-up.....and a time to simply trust in God. A pastor's job is to teach how to discern between the two. A pastor who only teaches that arming oneself is the answer to all, is an irresponsible pastor.

For one thing you are reading WAAAAY too far into what I said. Where did I say that the only answer is to arm up? Where did I say that the only one to do the protecting was the pastor?

Let me put it a different way: A pastor who HINDERS his flock in earthly matters of self defense is irresponsible.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN

Odd Nehemiah didn't agree with you!

jevin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    ^^^ Lots of good points there.

I think also, churches appear a as soft target. Religious nuts and extremists aside, there is just an ineffable assumption that a church makes easy pickings.
    A large gathering of community whose attention is (I suppose this depends on the quality of the church) focused 180 degrees away from the main entrances? Soft indeed, if it weren't for those with LTCH!

Birdman002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    South Bend
    I have carried a few times to my church, CC, but sometimes when we go out to help people in the neighborhood I deff CC, you just never know

Like some people said even though its a holy place doesnt mean people still wont do harm

Top Bottom