• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    What if the gun is not in their water but in my boat? Oh wait, that is a property rights issue. Not unlike having a gun in a locked vehicle at work. Interesting how that come to called "bring a gun to work". In some states a car or a boat is an extension of your home or in others words your property. That is not the case in Indiana. I think ACoE is still off limits in those other states. So, long intro to a simple question.

Is it actually against federal law to carry at a ACoE reservoir? Is this just an administrative rule. Why is ACoE different then a national park?

Yes, it is actually against the law. It's akin to carrying on a military installation.

Just like on a military installation, even if you have it in your own "personal property", IE - vehicle, it's still against the law.

I'm sure that it all has to do with the ARMY Corps of Engineers as opposed to another entity.

-J-

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yes, it is actually against the law. It's akin to carrying on a military installation.

Just like on a military installation, even if you have it in your own "personal property", IE - vehicle, it's still against the law.

I'm sure that it all has to do with the ARMY Corps of Engineers as opposed to another entity.

-J-

That was my thoughts as well. But I wanted to pose the question to spur the topic on so to speak. My understanding is that international ports of entry are also off limits. And yes Indiana has some of those on the Ohio river. Maybe even on the Great Lakes.

In regards to military installations. If only the Fort Hood shooter had followed the laws that whole tragedy could have been averted.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I remember a discussion on this a while back. Here is what I have been able to find:

List of ACoE Lakes in Indiana:
    Corps Lakes Gateway: Indiana

To find detailed info on ACoE Lakes in Indiana:
    Corps Lakes Gateway: Indiana

Once you have selected a lake, there is a link to a project map (example: http://www.lrl.usace.army.mil/bvl/article.asp?id=192 for Brookville Lake)

The map shows 2 very important pieces of information:
    - The project boundary (Property owned by the ACoE)
    - The operations area (also owned by the ACoE)

Violation of ACoE regulations is a Federal Misdemeanor and Section 3401 of Title 18 US Code. $5K fine (max) and 6 months (max). LEO are exempt, as are hunters (in hunting areas), use at a shooting range, and with written permission from the District Commander (good luck with that).

I also found a more complete map of AcoE Projects here, but with less info available on each project:
    Project Locations - Interactive Map

Personally, I think we get all 10,000+ INGO members to contact the District Commander in Louisville and ask for written permission.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    So again, it is perfectly fine for a off duty LEO to be able to protect himself and his family, but a regular citizen is unable to protect him/herself. What a bunch of horsecrap...

INGunGuy

Top Bottom