• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Didn't the whole used for a school function part of the IC get repealed a couple of years ago? The newest version that I can find doesn't mention it.

To my recollection, it did. I know there was some talk about exclusive use of an area, but I don't see that right now. The only thing I found was:
    IC 20-33-8-5
    "School property"
    Sec.5.
    As used in this chapter,"school property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by a school corporation.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure owned or rented by a school corporation.

Anyone have more?

Blessings,
    Bill

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And discussions like this are why I tell people that most gun laws just create "accidental criminals".
    Not knocking you guys.
    I'm knocking the process that makes things so convoluted that people don't know where or when they can carry, shoot, etc.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    This is what I love about INGO.

or

Now which one of you two is entirely wrong?
    Obviously Mr. Habib is wrong and should be kicked out of INGO, horse whipped and maybe made to perform some sort of ritual desecration on a chicken! But seriously, folks, not only can you normally not carry in a school building you also can't do it at a location of a school function. I.E. you go to a park and one of the shelter houses is being rented for a class trip or some officially sanctioned school event. You can't carry there.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Sounds like it comes down to the definition of "rent" and "structure".

If a school team is playing a game at the park, are they "renting" the field? Is that field considered a "structure"?

Yeah, the IC dropped the whole "school function" thing, but didn't really clear this up any. From the sound of it, nothing really changed. If a school rents a building/structure for an event, all of the property adjacent to the building is now school property. So, rent a shelter house at Turkey Run, and the entire park is now a school?

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    If the school function takes place on school property it's a no go. If the school owns or rents the building that building is now considered school property.
    If the activity takes place somewhere else you can carry. The problem is knowing if a school has rented a venue for an event or not.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Senate Bill 229 fixed the whole roaming school zone.

"school property meansa building or other structure owned or rented by a school that is beingused exclusively by the school for a school function and does notinclude parking lots adjacent to and owned or rented in common withthe building or other structure"
    Bump

singlemalt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Frankfort
    It would be a lot better for all of the unintentional criminals if we just did away with "gun free zones" period. But of course I'm preaching to the choir.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Senate Bill 229 fixed the whole roaming school zone.

"school property meansa building or other structure owned or rented by a school that is beingused exclusively by the school for a school function and does notinclude parking lots adjacent to and owned or rented in common withthe building or other structure"

Jay, where did that text appear? I didn't see it in the enrolled version of SEA 229 (2014)

I remember it being part of the discussion, I just don't see it in the final version of the bill/act.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    If the school function takes place on school property it's a no go. If the school owns or rents the building that building is now considered school property.
    If the activity takes place somewhere else you can carry. The problem is knowing if a school has rented a venue for an event or not.

IANAL (this is my understanding of current law, please do not consider this fact) but I do not believe this is the case anymore. The property is either owned by a school (school as defined in the law) or is not. If it is then its a no-go. If it isn't then you are good to go. I do not believe renting a place or holding any sort of event at other locations makes it a no-go.

The only "roaming" school zone anymore is a school bus :D

https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2014/bills/senate/229#document-66663bcd <---Enacted bill which was the last to deal with schools that I know of. Doesn't cover any sort of rented property so since the law is silent on that it is not illegal.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The issue is that the CURRENT IC (posed up-thread) specifically says "rent".

What I don't yet understand is if that means "rent, like renting a house/apartment", or "rent, like renting a shelter house at the park".

If the latter, the only thing that has really changed is the "rolling school zone" issue. Property still becomes "school property" the moment a school rents/leases/borrows it for any purpose at all.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Obviously Mr. Habib is wrong and should be kicked out of INGO, horse whipped and maybe made to perform some sort of ritual desecration on a chicken! But seriously, folks, not only can you normally not carry in a school building you also can't do it at a location of a school function. I.E. you go to a park and one of the shelter houses is being rented for a class trip or some officially sanctioned school event. You can't carry there.
    Wrong again!

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I kinda wondered that also, Miguel.

People with Students for Concealed Carry on Campus have been doing "empty holster protests" on college campuses for quite a while. I don't know how effective that tactic has been, but more places are "not forbidding" the practice of carry there since those started, if OCDO maps are any indication. I'm just not sure if those protests nudged the change or if people are slowly coming to their senses after such events as Va Tech, or if it's a combination of both, and maybe still other factors.

http://apps.opencarry.org/images/collegecarrymap.png

The empty holster, as I see it, is saying, "I'm one of the good guys... I would have been here to help if some disillusioned assbag decided to do harm, but I'm forbidden to do so by law." It was designed as a form of protest for people to get an idea of, "oh. HE carries? Huh. I'd not have guessed that. But that's cool-he's always been such a good student, etc." It was supposed to challenge people's perceptions.

And of course... no one needs a license to carry a holster.

Blessings,
    Bill
    I was just about to bring up the SCC empty holster protest myself. It's been quite effective considering there's not much else we can do.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The issue is that the CURRENT IC (posed up-thread) specifically says "rent".

What I don't yet understand is if that means "rent, like renting a house/apartment", or "rent, like renting a shelter house at the park".

If the latter, the only thing that has really changed is the "rolling school zone" issue. Property still becomes "school property" the moment a school rents/leases/borrows it for any purpose at all.

The further sticky wicket when it comes to this is...does it mean the ENTIRE property? Say a high school science club rents a shelter at a local state park. That doesn't mean the entire park is off limits... Just the shelter (and maybe immediate grounds surrounding)

Now if it were a specific venue where the entirety of the property were included - say a Lion's club (and associated small playground), I would definitely say that "yes, the entire Lion's Club property" would be a no-go.

A school renting a ballroom at a big hotel doesn't make the entire hotel a no-go zone. Just the rooms rented. That's an easy one, though, because there are more definite borders to a ballroom. The restrooms in that wing of the hotel, though, would be "ok" as long as they weren't reserved for the party-goers alone.

Top Bottom