• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fwgun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Noblesville, Indiana
    I was curious if it is legal to carry the taser gun (exactly the same one the cops use) in Indiana? I have been doing some research on them lately and they are actually cheaper than I thought ($400) so I was thinking about getting one and carrying it around some for self defense. Thoughts?

tmanbuddyy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    i think you can. big question is would it require a handgun permit to carry. its not a firearm or is it???

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I am not 100%, but I do believe they are legal to carry without a license. With respect to someone carrying one, I don't care for the idea. Cops carry one to get someone to comply if they need to. As a civilian we do not really have a direct need for that situation. A taser typically is a one shot deal to keep them at a distance, after that it is up close and personal if you need to use it again. Unlike most movies, the BG does not get knocked out when hit with a taser.

In a self defense situation I don't want to have to make another decision as to what to use. That and I don't want to carry around that much equipment, as it would not be a replacement for my gun. I suppose if someone refused to carry a gun it would be better than nothing. They do make a model that continues to apply voltage so you can drop it and run. Thats really what they are for on the civilian side.
    Just my :twocents:

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    If I carried a taser along with a gun and I had to use my firearm to defend myself and family, I wouldn't want to offer the opportunity to constantly be asked "why didn't you use the taser!"

tmanbuddyy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    to each his own but for $400, in a life or death situation i dont think a taser is the way I would go you only get 1 shot. and those
    Don’t exactly shoot straight either

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    Check local listings...They are illegal to own in South Bend. officer safety! They were afraid people would use them on the police and take their fire arms...no stop laughing..really!

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Lots of good points.. The civilian models are designed to incapacitate a person (the tazee?) so the person doing the tazing can escape. Law enforcement models are much shorter duration from what I recall, simply to incapacitate someone long enough to get them restrained with handcuffs or something.

As a civilian, if I were going to carry one, the law enforcement model wouldn't be the one I'd pick..

Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Indiana Code 35-47-8

Information Maintained by the Office of Code Revision Indiana Legislative Services Agency
    IC 35-47-8
    Chapter 8. Regulation of Electronic Stun Weapons, Tasers, and Stun Guns

IC 35-47-8-1
    "Electronic stun weapon" defined
    Sec. 1. As used in this chapter, "electronic stun weapon" means any mechanism that is:
    (1) designed to emit an electronic, magnetic, or other type of charge that exceeds the equivalency of a five (5) milliamp sixty (60) hertz shock; and
    (2) used for the purpose of temporarily incapacitating a person.
    As added by P.L.318-1985, SEC.3.
    IC 35-47-8-2
    "Stun gun" defined
    Sec. 2. As used in this chapter, "stun gun" means any mechanism that is:
    (1) designed to emit an electronic, magnetic, or other type of charge that equals or does not exceed the equivalency of a five (5) milliamp sixty (60) hertz shock; and

IC 35-47-8-3
    "Taser" defined
    Sec. 3. As used in this chapter, "taser" means any mechanism that is:
    (1) designed to emit an electronic, magnetic, or other type of charge or shock through the use of a projectile; and

IC 35-47-8-4
    Applicability of handgun provisions
    Sec. 4. IC 35-47-2 applies to an electronic stun weapon or taser.

IC 35-47-8-5
    Stun guns; purchase, possession, and sale; use in commission of crime; use on law enforcement officer
    Sec. 5. (a) A person eighteen (18) years of age or over may purchase or possess a stun gun.
    (b) A person who sells or furnishes a stun gun to a person who is less than eighteen (18) years of age commits a Class B misdemeanor.
    (c) A person who uses a stun gun in the commission of a crime commits a Class A misdemeanor.
    (d) A person who uses a stun gun on a law enforcement officer while the officer is performing the officer's duties commits a Class D felony.

tmanbuddyy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    If I carried a taser along with a gun and I had to use my firearm to defend myself and family, I wouldn't want to offer the opportunity to constantly be asked "why didn't you use the taser!"

Escalation of force!!! Police get charged with murder or sued all the time, for not following this rule .lawyers are to blame most of the time though. If you’re going to carry just a taser more power to you. But if you’re carrying a taser and a gun and you shoot someone it doesn’t matter if the bad guy pulled a gun. A good lawyer is going to ask you why you didn’t use the taser first. Seams any more the bad guy always wins. Even if he’s dead.

Top Bottom