• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I don't carry a full size currently, but I do plan to carry a close to full size (sig 229) next time I buy an EDC. My main reason is that I shoot that gun better than any other I've tried. I don't care about the weight when the upside is so great.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I didn't say I didn't like it....:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

You win!

Never heard of them, but will look at them.

I currently live in suspender capitol of the US, surrounded by Amish and all, so custom leather ones are cheap here.

I started with cheap dickies elastic ones from walmart, but found them to be too wide.

High Speed Gear makes "tactical" gear. Their suspenders are super heavy duty nylon webbing with loops of lighter webbing that go around your belt instead of clips. The loops are attached to the suspenders by shock cord to give a little springiness, but also have a piece of paracord shell as a backup if the elastic cord breaks or comes untied.

I wear them every day. It's been over ten years and I'm on my third pair now.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    I don't notice the weight of an all steel 5" 1911 much, except when it's missing.

Suspenders are normal wear for me, too. Chafed nipples ain't necessarily a bad thing...

KoD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Richmond
    I bought a small gun once just because my 19 is so heavy and hard to conceal....big mistake. I will eventually get a smaller Glock, but I'll never try something new because of its size lol

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I guess what I figured out was that for me, it's the size of the gun more over than the weight that impacts how easy it is to carry. I'm going to give the suspenders a shot though, as it might be enough support to offset the weight of any of the carry guns and might make the difference in how the back feels at the end of the day.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Carrying a firearm is comforting not comfortable...

I have carried every different size and weight of gun their is, lightest and smallest was a PPS, hated it, to small for hands and no mag capacity. The G19 is my go to for inside waistband carry, sucks that I love the RTF2 as it is brutal on the love handles.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think a lot of the difficulty with weight is obviously the use of quality propose built gear, but also balance. Magazines carried on the opposite side makes a lot of difference.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I think a lot of the difficulty with weight is obviously the use of quality propose built gear, but also balance. Magazines carried on the opposite side makes a lot of difference.

I've become a huge believer in the curved belt. The one I bought from Red Nichols curves up and over your hips just slightly, and it locks it in to place. On duty I carry a P226, spare mag, and radio and it stays put and I never have to pull my pants back up after sitting/standing, etc. With a straight belt, I had to pull them back up to my hips after getting out of my car or standing up from my desk. Off duty I generally carry the P226 and spare mag, difference in balance but no difference in stability. I would have never thought the shape of the belt would have mattered so much and though my Bull Belt was fantastic. Well, it is, and I still wear it with jeans sometimes but it is nowhere near as stable as the curved belt.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I've become a huge believer in the curved belt. The one I bought from Red Nichols curves up and over your hips just slightly, and it locks it in to place. On duty I carry a P226, spare mag, and radio and it stays put and I never have to pull my pants back up after sitting/standing, etc. With a straight belt, I had to pull them back up to my hips after getting out of my car or standing up from my desk. Off duty I generally carry the P226 and spare mag, difference in balance but no difference in stability. I would have never thought the shape of the belt would have mattered so much and though my Bull Belt was fantastic. Well, it is, and I still wear it with jeans sometimes but it is nowhere near as stable as the curved belt.
    Would you be able to direct us to where we could purchase a curved belt?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Since I am a sensitive snowflake, weight must make some difference to me. I like carrying my Colt LW Commander vs my old heavyweight Colt Combat Commander. I think it is just a half pound difference but it feels like more than that by the end of the day.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I just ordered a new belt from Kramer Gun Leather to replace my current gun belt. The one I have is an MTAC Kydex reinforced belt and is too big for me now that I'm down 30 lbs. That is probably where the issues are coming from with the larger guns as not only is the belt larger than it should be, even with new holes added, but it's also almost 7 years old and no longer holds is shape when held up. I wish I had seen your review of the Red Nichols curved gun belt before I ordered the new one back in May. It should be here before the end of August and if it does not work out for me, I might just have to order the curved style from the links above.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I just spent way too much time perusing RedNicholsHolsters.com and am thinking that I've found my next weight lost milestone goal. Since having a minor stroke back in February, I've been working to drop weight from a high of 198 lbs down to the goal of a 160 to 165 range. My previous goal was to get under 170 and at the end of May, I hit that goal and ordered a new belt and holster to celebrate. I'm still floating in the 167 range and need something to focus on, so I'm going to set the goal of 160.0 lbs and the day I hit that goal, I'll put in an order for a new belt and holster combination from RedsHolsters.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I just spent way too much time perusing RedNicholsHolsters.com and am thinking that I've found my next weight lost milestone goal. Since having a minor stroke back in February, I've been working to drop weight from a high of 198 lbs down to the goal of a 160 to 165 range. My previous goal was to get under 170 and at the end of May, I hit that goal and ordered a new belt and holster to celebrate. I'm still floating in the 167 range and need something to focus on, so I'm going to set the goal of 160.0 lbs and the day I hit that goal, I'll put in an order for a new belt and holster combination from RedsHolsters.

That's a solid plan. I like the idea of rewarding yourself for meeting your goals, and good on you for dropping weight.

MC1983

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I either carry a MP9c or a CZ75 compact IWB and the weight between those 2 guns doesn't really make a difference to me. It seems that finding the right holster or reshaping it slightly to fit better was more important for me.

Top Bottom