• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amallen1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I have began carrying more frequently, but I have a few questions for you guys...

Who carries with one in the tube? Advantages or disadvantages?

Is there ever a need to worry about striker failure, which causes a discharge, when carrying with one in?

I just want to make sure I know all the ropes before carrying becomes an everyday habit.

I am open to all input and any tips anyone has.

Thanks.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    :popcorn:

But seriously, I found a testimonial on an Ohio gun group site from a guy who had been attacked at the gas pumps at a convenience store. As he was opening his door to get back in the car 1 of 2 teen punks came right at him. All he could do was wrestle the guy back with his left arm while he frantically reached for his semi auto laying on the front seat. He managed to grab it, and with his left hand still engaged with the dude, stick it into said BG's stomach and shoot. The thug staggered back and collapsed just before the 2nd BG could joint the fight. No. 2 ran away and the cops gathered up No. 1 and took him to the hospital. The intended victim stated that he'd probably be dead or badly hurt if he hadn't had the pistol chamber loaded.

Okey dokey?

TruxLupus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    I carry for self defense. I always have a round chambered. You know the saying "When seconds count, the Police are only minutes away?"

Well, seconds count here. And I don't even want to spend one of those precious seconds chambering a round. If I am ever put in the unfortunate situation where I need to use my gun against another human being, that second or two may actually mean the difference between life and death.

And that's assuming I have one hand free to work the slide. That may not be the case.

What if stealth is a necessity? I'm not noticed, yet, but I might be when I chamber a round to be ready, "just in case."

When you go out carrying, whether that be CC or OC, you should not go out half ready. If you aren't completely ready to use your gun if you must, why are you carrying it in the first place?

Sorry. I don't see a reason to carry a gun loaded but unchambered. For me it was never a debate. You are more likely to win the lottery than have a well-maintained, properly-cared for firearm accidentally discharge on you. I hope that clears things up for you.

In addition, we're to treat our weapons like they are loaded at all times. If you need to carry it unloaded to make it "safer" - that begs the question as to whether or not you are treating your weapons as though they are loaded at all times, right? If you have trouble maintaining that mindset, keep your gun chambered at all times. Then you don't have to worry about it ;).

Last edited:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    ...and there is the infamous "jewelry store shooting" video (which I can never find when these threads come up, lol) where you can watch the owner being shot to death by thugs while he fumbles with his own gun that isnt ready to fire..

If that doesnt make you want to carry with "one in the pipe", nothing will..

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I carry with a round in the chamber. You will need to choose a gun that you trust to carry that way. Whatever you choose as your EDC must be one that you trust and that works every time.

Guns fire when the trigger is pulled. They don't just accidentally "go off" by themselves - contrary to what some people will claim.

Your question is a good one to ask. Glad you did.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I've carried one in the pipe with my past EDC (InterArms Firestar .40), and my present EDC (S&W M&P .40c).

Follow the 4 safety rules.
    Keep your equipment maintained. If the holster is falling apart, get a new one.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yep...add me to the list. I always carry "with one in the pipe". The earlier posts pretty say it all.

Be ready and pray you never have to use it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yep...add me to the list. I always carry "with one in the pipe". The earlier posts pretty say it all.

Be ready and pray you never have to use it.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I personally carry revolvers and all cylinders are always full. I have friends that carry without one chambered though. They feel they have trained and are quick enough to chamber if necessary. I completely disagree. I think that in any self-defense scenario the BG always has the drop on you- even if you use ninja skill "awareness." The video is evidence of my belief.

I do understand why folks might be cautious, at least at first, with not chambering a round. I would encourage such folks to carry for a month or two unchambered and see if the trigger ever goes off. If a weapon is carried properly and handled safely, it should never happen until the operator wants it to.:twocents:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    A gun without a round chambered is a block of useless steel.

I wouldn't go that far.. perhaps:

"A gun without a round chambered is a block of useless steel (unless you have the time, skills, and opportunity needed to chamber a round before it is too late).

:D

1911 DeadHead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    NWI/ Crown Point
    I was nervous at first carrying, so I did not have a round chambered for afew days with safety on(1911). The hammer never fell during regular activity, so now I'm fine with one ready to go.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I'm all for the +1 in the pipe.

If it makes you nervous, you can, (depending on your gun,) carry it in a "cocked and locked" condition, MINUS the round in the chamber. Carry it that way for several weeks, and do all of your normal activities. If you ever hear a dry "click" coming from your pants, you should buy a new gun or holster, as that "click" would've been you putting a new hole in yourself.

What is most likely to happen, however, is that every day when you get home, your hammer will still be back, or your trigger will still be forward...or however your gun signals that it is ready to fire, but hasn't; that condition will be true.

Once you trust it not to randomly "go off," (which no modern, maintained firearm will do without reason,) you may feel more comfortable with a round in the chamber.

In fact, most people will leave their round chambered even when not wearing the gun, (although some have other opinions on this when it comes to roommates, spouses, and especially children.) I have two Glocks, a Taurus .380, and a Taurus .357 that have been fully loaded for months, with rounds in all chambers. If you do it right, and follow the rules strictly, you'll be fine.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    :popcorn:

But seriously, I found a testimonial on an Ohio gun group site from a guy who had been attacked at the gas pumps at a convenience store. As he was opening his door to get back in the car 1 of 2 teen punks came right at him. All he could do was wrestle the guy back with his left arm while he frantically reached for his semi auto laying on the front seat. He managed to grab it, and with his left hand still engaged with the dude, stick it into said BG's stomach and shoot. The thug staggered back and collapsed just before the 2nd BG could joint the fight. No. 2 ran away and the cops gathered up No. 1 and took him to the hospital. The intended victim stated that he'd probably be dead or badly hurt if he hadn't had the pistol chamber loaded.

Okey dokey?
    I've seen that video and there was a lot of fail on the part of the fella that was being attacked, but you're absolutely right: he never would have the shots off had he not had it ready to fire. I've also read the first-hand account of another guy who didn't even have time to square up and aim before the shooting started. He took 3 rounds of .38 and it probably would have been more (and more lethally located) had the BG not been trying to avoid the ones coming his way too. Some timeframes are too short even to be measured in full seconds. If it isn't ready to fire when you pull it from the holster, why have one at all?

I've always carried with one in the chamber. Even a 1911, though I don't carry it as an EDC anymore. Now it's a Glock 26 or 17 or 21. My back-up .38's cylinder is also fully loaded. Nearly 15 years of carry and no booms I didn't intend to make.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    24evqxe.jpg

Top Bottom