• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Also not to lose track of the fact that the sprayer will also very likely get at least a minor dose themselves. Hands get over-spray and blow-back to go along with particulates in the air. Hands then touch face and here we go...

Yep. Another reason to carry gloves for PPE. Put them on carefully until you can wash hands.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Well I guess I am back in the pepper spray game.

Picked up four cans of Sabre yesterday. They are marked with an effective date out to 2023. That seems like a long shelf life.

JohnA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2014
    midwest
    I used to carry Sabre Red in my coat pocket until one day I put my handkerchief in that pocket and then later used it to wipe my nose. OMG what a surprise the tab on the spray had rotated and the can had released some in my pocket sometime in the past, I don't know when. My face burned all morning no matter what I did or put on it. So If you carry it - be careful it apparently comes off "safe" easily.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I used to carry Sabre Red in my coat pocket until one day I put my handkerchief in that pocket and then later used it to wipe my nose. OMG what a surprise the tab on the spray had rotated and the can had released some in my pocket sometime in the past, I don't know when. My face burned all morning no matter what I did or put on it. So If you carry it - be careful it apparently comes off "safe" easily.

Dawn dishwashing liquid for the skin, whole milk to flush the eyeballs. That stuff is oil based, so you need something to cut the oil, water wont do jack. The milkfats are oil based so that will help carry any juice out of the eyeballs.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm not sure there is any quick and easy cure for getting sprayed. Lots of wives tails though, from baby shampoo to milk to a steady diet of hot peppers to make one immune. I'm sure applications of all kinds of things at various times throughout the burn may have seemed to help, whether it actually did or not?

My instruction was lots and lots and lots of flushing with water and dabbing (NOT WIPING) with lots and lots of paper towels. Most folks start to recover after a half hour of this, some take longer.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A new one. Testing POM spray on some people.

[video=youtube;_mmrCATVyjA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mmrCATVyjA[/video]

Sold me. I ordered one for my bag. :spend:

Last edited:

JustinApex

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Indy North
    Like everyone else has said, make sure you train with it. I would go so far as to suggest having someone spray you with it. I went through this as part of military police training.

There are a couple reasons.
    1. You are likely to get hit with overspray when using it. You will function better in this situation if you know what to expect (which could save your life)
    2. Knowing what it feels like will give you a greater respect for the stuff which may impact your decision to deploy it and how you handle it.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    A new one. Testing POM spray on some people.

[video=youtube;_mmrCATVyjA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mmrCATVyjA[/video]

Sold me. I ordered one for my bag. :spend:

[STRIKE]I recently ordered a canister too but I already see one big problem with it. I got the model with the pocket clip and the clip is on the wrong side if you carry it inside your pocket.

Because the clip is on the same side as the nozzle, if you position it in the pocket with clip on the exterior, you have to rotate it to get your thumb on the actuator. If you're wearing it clipped to your belt you eliminate the issue, but I'm not a cop or Batman. I'm not going to wear personal OC spray on my belt.[/STRIKE]

ETA: Well ... I'm an idiot. I just watched some of the video and it only took about three minutes into it where John shows how to reverse the clip.

Disregard everything I just said above.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm not sure there is any quick and easy cure for getting sprayed. Lots of wives tails though, from baby shampoo to milk to a steady diet of hot peppers to make one immune. I'm sure applications of all kinds of things at various times throughout the burn may have seemed to help, whether it actually did or not?

My instruction was lots and lots and lots of flushing with water and dabbing (NOT WIPING) with lots and lots of paper towels. Most folks start to recover after a half hour of this, some take longer.

My suggestions above are based on science and actually work. While it doesnt neutralize the spray, it does help get it away faster and speed recovery.

Flushing water will help, but you really need something to bind to the oils and help take them away. Thats where the baby shampoo and milk fats come in. Just like when you get oil on your skin, rinsing with water will help take off the worst of it, but will still leave a film behind. If you want to get it ALL gone you need something to lift the oils away.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    My luck, professionally over the years It has always been my luck to get some residual effect, be it in riot control, to a non compliant subject situation, wrestling, cuffing, transporting, you name it I always got some red eye and sniffles.

I liked the CS grenades, both metal and fiberglass, had some powder we could deploy as a deterrent, or just put in an empty spray bottle, depending on the situation.
    They make a CS dispenser looks like an old WWII flame thrower, I had a Lieutenant accidently discharge one years ago, into a non violent crowd.
    What a day that was!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    20200226-120702.jpg

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

I see you went with the fuchsia color band. Interesting choice ... for a man. :stickpoke:

I ordered two. One with the clip, one with the key chain ring. I'm more likely to have it with me if it's on my keys. I've done some practice with it in the car, trying the disengage from the clip while the keys are in the ignition. It's not as easy as I'd like, but not terribly slow. It's actually faster to deploy if you tug on the top and just pull the entire canister out of the sleeve.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I see you went with the fuchsia color band. Interesting choice ... for a man. :stickpoke:

I ordered two. One with the clip, one with the key chain ring. I'm more likely to have it with me if it's on my keys. I've done some practice with it in the car, trying the disengage from the clip while the keys are in the ignition. It's not as easy as I'd like, but not terribly slow. It's actually faster to deploy if you tug on the top and just pull the entire canister out of the sleeve.

Your day is coming young man. ;)

Night vision is slower as you age. Everything with a darkish color disappears when dropped in the dark, dark vehicle interior or inside a bag. My black flashlights all get a wrap of yellow tape.

They didn't have a bright red, so I picked pink for HOT.

Thanks for the vehicle reminder. I like having a small OC stuck under the visor for quick access. This clip just might work out for that.

Last edited:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    The Sabre I bought all have seat belt cutters in the clip. Ouch for hooking that in the pocket.

Still haven't ordered the tester yet. Tried to tell the fam that we could just use one of the spares I bought. I even said I would go first, but they couldn't back out after. So far no go.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I've been following this thread some and have a question. Do any of the brands have a protrusion just below the spray nozzle to keep your hand from sliding too far up and block the nozzle? The brands I have had don't. I coat pocket carry mine in the winter and I have to put my pinky in the key ring to keep my hand low enough to avoid it. It feel more natural to use my thumb to spray and I feel that leaves the canister and my fist in a better position for punching if needed. Anyone seen a brand that has this feature? Are you using your index finger to deploy or your thumb?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I've been following this thread some and have a question. Do any of the brands have a protrusion just below the spray nozzle to keep your hand from sliding too far up and block the nozzle? The brands I have had don't. I coat pocket carry mine in the winter and I have to put my pinky in the key ring to keep my hand low enough to avoid it. It feel more natural to use my thumb to spray and I feel that leaves the canister and my fist in a better position for punching if needed. Anyone seen a brand that has this feature? Are you using your index finger to deploy or your thumb?

The POM does. See the ridge in the pic in post 54.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I see that, thanks MCgrease08. That would be an improvement over what I have. I would like to see one that stuck out, say 3/8" That would be about half of my finger's thickness roughly.

Top Bottom