• ...and so much more!
  • ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    I am not going to be critical of those that will not carry for fear of
    Expulsion. I just hope no one is faced with a shooter on a college campus.

I'm not afraid of the expulsion, I'm afraid of coming home to tell my wife I got expelled for carrying...:):

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    Oh the liberal infested waters we swim in everyday...

Too true, if they would just realize those who have jumped through all the hoops to be legal are not the same as the criminals and crazies that go around shooting up the campus. I've seen the security guards on campus, I wouldn't trust them to protect my lunchbox...

IMPULSE.ACTIONS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    There
    When I went to IUPUI I wasn't sure on the legal aspect of carrying on a college campus but I did know that my life was worth more than the risk of not carrying.

Mine stayed in the front of my book bag which sat between my legs for every class or over one shoulder with the front pouch between my side and elbow. No one other than me ever knew it was there.

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    I think a knife and a firearm get you expelled the same amount of time. Not to flame, just saying its not like its a compromise on their part weapon = weapon. My scissors are even round tipped :D

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    When I was at ivy tech(won't name which one) but there was a decent students for concealed carry group there, and were turned onto the group by 2 LEO professors. They carried and encouraged other law abiding citizens to carry as well. The point is, you can go to college your whole life, a degree in progress that costs you your life is a bit less appealing.

jerico616

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    There is some debate about the law in regards to concealed carry on college campuses. The law says that you cannot carry a gun on school property. Since colleges are schools, this could qualify. However, there is also the argument that colleges are, in fact, private property and do not fall under that part of the law. This is where the gray area lies in regards to the law. No one argues that 99.9999% of colleges have a rule (or several) against firearms on campus, the debate lies strictly with Indiana law. And I'm sure that if you paid a smooth lawyer enough money, he could argue the law either way.

I also carried on campus when I was in school. I lived across the street from campus in a not too good part of downtown. So I carried and just never spoke about it.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    Never a gun, but I carried a knife all the time. Even though they were officially against the rules, even the teachers carried knives!

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    There is some debate about the law in regards to concealed carry on college campuses. The law says that you cannot carry a gun on school property. Since colleges are schools, this could qualify. However, there is also the argument that colleges are, in fact, private property and do not fall under that part of the law. This is where the gray area lies in regards to the law. No one argues that 99.9999% of colleges have a rule (or several) against firearms on campus, the debate lies strictly with Indiana law. And I'm sure that if you paid a smooth lawyer enough money, he could argue the law either way.

Its not that the colleges are private property, IN code specifically states that private schools are schools.
    IC 35-41-1-24.7
    "School property" defined
    Sec. 24.7. "School property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:
    (A) a school corporation;
    (B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27;
    (C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or
    (D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following:
    (i) A Head Start program under 42 U.S.C. 9831 et seq.
    (ii) A special education preschool program.
    (iii) A developmental child care program for preschool children.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1).

But what is a school?
    IC 20-18-2-15
    "Public school"
    Sec. 15. "Public school":
    (1) for purposes of this title (other than IC 20-33-1), means a school maintained by a school corporation; and
    (2) for purposes of IC 20-33-1, means:
    (A) a school maintained by a school corporation; or
    (B) a preschool, an elementary school, or a high school maintained by a state educational institution under IC 20-24.5 or another law.

IC 20-18-2-12
    "Nonpublic school"
    Sec. 12. (a) "Nonpublic school" means a school that is not maintained by a school corporation.
    (b) The term includes a private school or parochial school.

So any k-12, preschool or daycare.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    I carried a Sig p226 in a book bag. No one ever knew. BUT, I went to school in Gary for night classes. I'd rather get expelled than killed.

My girlfriend and I both went to Purdue Cal and never felt the need to carry. Besides, at that time, I did not have an LTCH. However, today my girlfriend starts classes at IUN in Gary for her Masters and she will be carrying in her purse. She has an LTCH. She won't be leaving until around 10 at night and the neighborhood is like a demilitarized zone. She knows she is taking a risk, but it's better to be expelled than raped, or worse.

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    If I could only get my girlfriend to think like that. For nursing she has to have clinicals in Gary or Michigan City. I dont really want her there but she has to do it. I dont think I could convince her that something bad will happen to her someday, and thats what scares me. We both go to Purdue North Central (Westville) and its fairly secluded and has a pretty good security force. Seems safe enough to not scare me when she has classes that run until 10. But going to these hospitals by herself gets to me... I guess I just gotta keep working on her slowly and maybe she will see the light... Who knows?

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    If I could only get my girlfriend to think like that. For nursing she has to have clinicals in Gary or Michigan City. I dont really want her there but she has to do it. I dont think I could convince her that something bad will happen to her someday, and thats what scares me. We both go to Purdue North Central (Westville) and its fairly secluded and has a pretty good security force. Seems safe enough to not scare me when she has classes that run until 10. But going to these hospitals by herself gets to me... I guess I just gotta keep working on her slowly and maybe she will see the light... Who knows?

My girlfriend recently purchased her first firearm. (Beretta PX4 Storm SubCompact 9mm) I went with her yesterday to check out the campus. The benefits to it are that it is very close to 80/94 so you don't have to travel through Gary too much. My biggest concern is the parking lots. There aren't many spaces available and at night, if she has to park further away from a building, I want her armed. I was impressed that the campus police were visible as soon as we started walking on campus last night. I was carrying my 1911 in a messenger bag. I didn't want to leave it in the car.

My girlfriend is aware that she could be expelled, but her defense is that she insists she will never be raped. And, knowing that any piece of **** that tries to assault her will get a face full of hollowpoints, puts me at ease.

In Gary, you need to carry. (Hey, that rhymes. New slogan for the city.)

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    I witnessed some small scale hand to hand then object to object campus combat today. Granted I was in the class room and it caught the attention of my eye. This went on for about 30mins. About 35 into it they ran out of power and both laid down. My campus has ZERO security officers and no police on campus at this current time. I am unsure if the sheriff "they callled" even ever showed up. Really makes me re think about not carrying due to their policy. Just my 2 c

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    I too have been wanting to carry at Indiana State University. To my knowledge there isn't a chapter of Concealed Campus at ISU, but I would join it if there was.

Concealed Campus basic views as quoted from their site are:
    Students for Concealed Carry on Campus is a national, non-partisan, grassroots organization comprised of over 40,000 college students, professors, college employees, parents of college students, and concerned citizens who believe that holders of state-issued concealed handgun licenses should be allowed the same measure of personal protection on college campuses that current laws afford them virtually everywhere else.

I encourage you all to to visit Students for Concealed Carry on Campus - ConcealedCampus.com and start a local group.

We need one at Indiana State...Terre Haute is such a hole.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    you have got to be kidding me..

I witnessed some small scale hand to hand then object to object campus combat today. Granted I was in the class room and it caught the attention of my eye. This went on for about 30mins. About 35 into it they ran out of power and both laid down. My campus has ZERO security officers and no police on campus at this current time. I am unsure if the sheriff "they callled" even ever showed up. Really makes me re think about not carrying due to their policy. Just my 2 c
    These guys (presumably male) fought for 35 minutes on a campus of a college and not one law enforcement person intervened in that time? Holy cow. What school was that?

I am on a college every day, my campus is very nice and in 17 years not a single incident that I have witnessed. The police publish a report of the crime statistics for the campus and they are like Mayberry's. Lucky for me. I feel the posters that have to deal with the Gary area, it is a mess.

Terry

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    My girlfriend and I both went to Purdue Cal and never felt the need to carry. Besides, at that time, I did not have an LTCH. However, today my girlfriend starts classes at IUN in Gary for her Masters and she will be carrying in her purse. She has an LTCH. She won't be leaving until around 10 at night and the neighborhood is like a demilitarized zone. She knows she is taking a risk, but it's better to be expelled than raped, or worse.

Yep. It is like the city comes alive at 10pm. Until about 4-6am. There is so much movement it is almost humming.

Top Bottom