• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ddenny5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some where in the USA
    I recently graduated from college and I carried on campus. However. there is no law in Indiana that says you cannot carry on campus. Now it is a violation of school rules which being expelled is possible. Now, on campus there is only one officer on duty at one time. Sometimes there are two. My classes were in a building in the back end of the campus. So, in an emergency, it would take a while for the police to arive. Now, I carried my 1911 in my book bag. After what happened at Virginia Tech I was going to be prepared. I carried without incident or anyone being wise. I also found out that many other students were carring as well. I saw that a girl had a rossi .38 revolver in her purse. I told her to not let it be seen and that I was ok with it. I believe that gun safety should be taught in college but that will never happen.

DarkLight

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Thorntown
    Hey ddenny5, what college did you graduate from? I recently graduated from Purdue. I noticed some empty holsters (especially during the organized events) but I can't say I was ever certain of others carrying. I always wanted to CC in campus especially after Virginia Tech but I spent too much time and money to risk being expelled.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I carried a Sig p226 in a book bag. No one ever knew. BUT, I went to school in Gary for night classes. I'd rather get expelled than killed.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I've recently been debating whether I want to CC on campus even though it is against the rules. I've already been there 4 years, so, like DarkLight, I've spent too much money to throw it all away now.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I too have been wanting to carry at Indiana State University. To my knowledge there isn't a chapter of Concealed Campus at ISU, but I would join it if there was.

Concealed Campus basic views as quoted from their site are:
    Students for Concealed Carry on Campus is a national, non-partisan, grassroots organization comprised of over 40,000 college students, professors, college employees, parents of college students, and concerned citizens who believe that holders of state-issued concealed handgun licenses should be allowed the same measure of personal protection on college campuses that current laws afford them virtually everywhere else.

I encourage you all to to visit Students for Concealed Carry on Campus - ConcealedCampus.com and start a local group.

ddenny5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some where in the USA
    Hey ddenny5, what college did you graduate from? I recently graduated from Purdue. I noticed some empty holsters (especially during the organized events) but I can't say I was ever certain of others carrying. I always wanted to CC in campus especially after Virginia Tech but I spent too much time and money to risk being expelled.
    I went to Ivytech. I understand that many students do not want to be expelled. However, I was willing to take the risk. I look at it this way: My college degree would be useless if I am dead.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I went to Ivytech. I understand that many students do not want to be expelled. However, I was willing to take the risk. I look at it this way: My college degree would be useless if I am dead.

"My college degree would be useless if I am dead."

Rep's for that! :+1:

seawolfxix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Kansas City
    I won't risk being expelled. After spending nearly $90,000 in tuition, it's just not worth it.

I can only hope that maybe if something does happen, somebody will point out that I did have a license and that the incident could have been averted if Purdue didn't have the restrictions that they do.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    yep

I carried a Sig p226 in a book bag. No one ever knew. BUT, I went to school in Gary for night classes. I'd rather get expelled than killed.

+1
    I carried all the time during undergrad. I would rather have a better chance to live and possibly save a few lives than die.

I carry my 9 in alot of places i shouldn't. I see it as its my life and a criminal isn't going to follow any policies, If my 9mm is outta sight its outta mind.

:patriot:INDY K

WHRJeff

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    South Bend
    I carried only on a few occasions. When I did it wasn't necessarily on my person but in my book bag. If I did not carry it was in my car pretty close by. With all the college/university shootings especially the NIU shotgun incident I became more concerned for this need of protection while at my university.

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    I went to college over a decade ago, but I always CC'd in my bookbag or jacket. We had a shooting which sent everyone nuts at Purdue (guy shot an RA after being discovered he had drugs) but I still carried. Just had to make sure no one saw it. That means NEVER leaving your bag or jacket unattended as there are many thieves at colleges (or at least at Purdue).

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Did you know they still build new schools in Wisconsin with shooting ranges built in! No BS man! We used to shoot rifles in our gymnasium during school! Those days may be gone, but some schools do still have shooting ranges and teach on them!

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I really want to carry to Ivy Tech in South Bend. My class goes until 10 p.m and its not in the nicest part of town. Keep in mind I'm about 5'6 125 lbs little white boy... Just scared of being expelled.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    337   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Isn't the point of CC to NOT be seen? If you do it properly, and keep your mouth shut (as you should), the no one will ever be the wiser, and you'll be prepared. Barring anyone installing metal detecters in the library, you'll be just fine, and probably be able to focus more on your classes, not your fellow students. (except that hot girl in the second row) ;)

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    I can understand the fear. I always viewed it as my constitutional right. While it may not result in huge court case, I felt that it could probably be handled by a lawyer privately if it came to that. Course, its a risk, but unless you do something careless, it should never be an issue.

Tough choices all around. Actually, talking about college days, the same year as that shooting, a guy stabbed his girl friend and her friend just two doors down from me (lived in hilltop.. not sure if they are still there or not), so I was sure not going to be unarmed consequences or not.

These are real risks we all have to decide on for ourselves though. If you don't want to risk a gun, I would probably at least invest in a healthy stun gun or knife. If knives are out too, then buy the big mag light. Clubs were the first weapons after all, and there are books and classes on stick fighting which can make a big flashlight a very effective weapon.

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    I really want to carry to Ivy Tech in South Bend. My class goes until 10 p.m and its not in the nicest part of town. Keep in mind I'm about 5'6 125 lbs little white boy... Just scared of being expelled.

I can understand, and us slimmer folks (I'm 5'11" 155) can have a harder time CC without being somewhat obvious (unless you dress like Eminem or what not). I started carrying for late classes, stripping it down and only carrying the slide and mag in my bag, leaving the frame in the car. I figure it is the least valuable part to leave in the car, doesn't exactly violate campus rules, and allows me to continue my daily carry somewhat uninterrupted. Maybe someday I will feel comfortable with taking it in, but like you, I fear expulsion.

Their guidelines pretty much cover all bases, and could include bringing a full magazine into class (explosive :dunno:). The frame could probably be considered "A harmless instrument designed to look like a firearm", though it is written as if that is only a problem if you threaten someone with it.

Arms/Deadly Weapons/Explosives/Chemicals (Per Student Policy Handbook)
    Possession of firearms (except those possessed by police or campus security officers) and other weapons, dangerous chemicals, or any explosive or explosive devise is prohibited on College property. No campus guest shall use or threaten to use firearms, other weapons, dangerous chemicals, or explosive or explosive devise on College property. A harmless instrument designed to look like a firearm, explosive, or weapon that is used by a person to cause fear in assault of another person is included within the meaning of a firearm, explosive or weapon.

Top Bottom