• ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I now live alone. I don't "carry" in the house but there are always four or five loaded weapons. One is within arms reach of me 95% of the time and the rest of the time it would be a matter of just a few steps. I usually have one in my pocket when I check the mail. My end table gun is a CZ 97B .45acp with 10+1 and a buttery smooth trigger. It makes me feel warm and cozy when I am kicking back. My biggest concern is that I don't currently have a gun with a rail. I would like my nightstand gun to have a light but that is still a work in progress. I need to buy another gun or two.:D

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Many moons ago when I was home on leave I had my front door kicked in and a gun held to my head. My wife and baby son were also threatened.
    I was less than 4' from my hd gun and didn't have time to get to it.
    Advantage bad guy in about 2 seconds.
    It'll never happen again. I carry at all times or have my 1911 sitting right in front of me.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Many moons ago when I was home on leave I had my front door kicked in and a gun held to my head. My wife and baby son were also threatened.
    I was less than 4' from my hd gun and didn't have time to get to it.
    Advantage bad guy in about 2 seconds.
    It'll never happen again. I carry at all times or have my 1911 sitting right in front of me.

Holy moly!! :eek:

The Reca

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Manassas, VA
    I have a gun in each room including the bathroom & kitchen. I don't carry one around in my house for those reasons. At night there is a shotgun beside the bed a Gov. size 1911 within arms reach and a Ultra size 1911 under the pillow. I only lock the guns in the safe when I am out of the house or out of town and my GF is not home.

As far as a reason is concerned..
    I trust the police to come do there job in case of an emergency; however, it is my responsiblity to protect my family, home, and myself untill they arrive. A lot can happen in 60 sec and It takes longer than that for the police to arrive. Any individual who souly relys on the goverment to protect them, their family, and their properity is taking a risk to lose it all while waiting for help to arrive.

Thats just the way I view things.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. Or are you trying to say that home invasions don't happen?

I'm trying to say that home invasions when the home is occupied & cars are in the driveway don't happen randomly.

That is exactly what I thought until someone broke in and stole my 22 and 9mm I was about 100yrds away when it happened. Nosy neighbors picked an inconvient time to mind their own business. Howeve it was someone I knew an trusted. Dirty bast*rds.

This wasn't random. I'm curious how they got into your gun safes & stole those weapons. Also, to 88GT, this home was unoccupied when this non-random invasion happened.

Paco, people have big mouths. It doesn't have to be anyone who knows you at all... it can be as simple as somebody overhearing a conversation that happens to include info about your shooting and realizing you've got stuff to swipe.
    You're just the type of homeowner they're looking to score from whether you're gone (empty house) or not (at home, but UNarmed) - easy mark.
    Precious seconds count, man. :twocents: Take care. :)

That's the thing, I don't acquire valuables. I have an SKS, my XDm, & a Beretta Bobcat my FIL gave my wife. That's it. About $1200 of guns...probably half that when pawned. I don't have valuable tools either. I do have a heavy, awkward TV, & a few heavy computers. But, computers are horrible to pawn because of the data contained on them. Apart from those items, though, there's really no attraction for a would-be thief.

Now, I fully understand that when the house looks empty, someone might rob the place. My position is that, an occupied home being randomly invaded by thieves is likely rarer than no-knock raids at the wrong address. I don't sleep behind a barricade with automated weapons trained on my front door & I don't carry around my house when I'm wearing lounge clothing.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I carry at home all the time.
    1. no worries about storage or unauthorized access
    2. no need to "stash" things around the house where someone else might find/get them
    3. I am aware of how fast the situation can evolve during a home invasion. Those who believe they'll have time to go to different room or even across a room to retrieve their gun are probably wrong.

buffalohump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2012
    I live in the country & it seems LEO's have run several "scumbags" slightly out of town, Hence in my area. So crossing the road for mail is an armed chore. And chasing off tresspassers is threatin 911, butt last result is the Colt. I'm old, fat, can't fight can't run , but don't have to.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I have been carrying all the time since I got my new Crossbreed IWB holster for my LCR. I never knew it could be that comfy to carry.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    my 45 is with me at all times. I'm either wearing it or it's within arms reach. 12 ga semi-auto with 00 buck in closet. Few more stashed around, one is my wife's for when I'm not home. She knows how to shoot all of them though.

Bohica

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Always on me, around the house or out and about. Why would you not have it on your person or close by. The headlines are full of victim statements to the effect of "I never would have guess that something like this would happen here..... Take care ... Shoot straight.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I'm trying to say that home invasions when the home is occupied & cars are in the driveway don't happen randomly.

This wasn't random. I'm curious how they got into your gun safes & stole those weapons. Also, to 88GT, this home was unoccupied when this non-random invasion happened.

That's the thing, I don't acquire valuables. I have an SKS, my XDm, & a Beretta Bobcat my FIL gave my wife. That's it. About $1200 of guns...probably half that when pawned. I don't have valuable tools either. I do have a heavy, awkward TV, & a few heavy computers. But, computers are horrible to pawn because of the data contained on them. Apart from those items, though, there's really no attraction for a would-be thief.

Now, I fully understand that when the house looks empty, someone might rob the place. My position is that, an occupied home being randomly invaded by thieves is likely rarer than no-knock raids at the wrong address. I don't sleep behind a barricade with automated weapons trained on my front door & I don't carry around my house when I'm wearing lounge clothing.

What gun safe? I only owned a few and they where extremely well hidden. My carry was on me at the time though. However being a broke college student at the time didnt exactly afford me the opportunity to purchase a safe at the time. But the point is random acts are just that. ... Random, and you never what people are truely capable of or what theyre thinking.

Tink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2012
    So. Bend
    I dont carry when Im at home inside the house, but best believe there is always one within easy reach whatever room Im in.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    From where I'm sitting now I can be to it in about 5 steps.
    I just got home from work, in Chicago in a company truck, so M-F no day carry for me. Weekends, if I'm awake its on my hip.

Top Bottom