carry 1911 chambered, cocked, safety off?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    another thread got me curious about this. do any of you guys that have 1911s carry with a round chambered, hammer back but with the safety off?

wouldn't that pretty much be what an XD is? or is there more to the design of and XD than "an fug ugly 1911 with out a thumb safety"

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    for those that claim a carry gun should not have a manual safety
    "the only safety i need is the one between my ears"

what would be the difference between leaving the safety off and carrying an XD?

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Cuz an XD takes a long and much heavier trigger pull to set it off.

633584945109156823-trolling.jpeg

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Condition 0 is a no no for carry.

If a firearm has a safety use it. Condition 1 is the way it was meant to be carried.

Last edited:

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Cuz an XD takes a long and much heavier trigger pull to set it off.

633584945109156823-trolling.jpeg
    other than the trolling part, i appreciate this answer much more than the "why would anyone do that" response.

is the XD really that much heavier/longer? i thought the whole point was it was a single action trigger. i have never shot one.

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    IIRC, Browning's original design called for a grip safety only, and the Army insisted on the thumb safety too. In essence: Condition Zero.

Personally, I carry Condition One: It's what I am comfortable with and practiced with.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    ok, not sure if i came off that way as a smartass. wasnt trying too. accept for maybe now in this post. i was trying to see legitimately why people will say on one hand that glocks are okay b/c a careful man needs no manual safety but FOR THE LOVE OF GAWD:) if you have a 1911, carry it with the safety on.

are glocks and 1911s never owned by the same person?

i will also say, i carry a 1911, and yes, with the safety on.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    IIRC, Browning's original design called for a grip safety only, and the Army insisted on the thumb safety too. In essence: Condition Zero.

True. It was a 1910 (predecessor to the 1911). I've never had my hands on one, but would like to...just to say I did!
    Other than that, I'd have to say I wouldn't carry with the safety off...

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    i will add that the only way i would come close to carrying mine with the safety off is if the grip safety was had a much stronger spring than it currently has. would also need to be a custom style to be gripped more effectively then to overcome the spring.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    ok, not sure if i came off that way as a smartass. wasnt trying too. accept for maybe now in this post. i was trying to see legitimately why people will say on one hand that glocks are okay b/c a careful man needs no manual safety but FOR THE LOVE OF GAWD:) if you have a 1911, carry it with the safety on.

are glocks and 1911s never owned by the same person?

i will also say, i carry a 1911, and yes, with the safety on.

Don't worry about sounding like a smart ass on this forum, Ive learned that nearly everyone here qualifies to some degree.

I was in the army for several years and Viet Nam for one during which time we were trained to carry the 1911 wihtout a round in the chamber. It took a lot of effort and thought for me to learn to carry cocked and locked
    I also own and sometimes carry an XDM and while I agree that your best safety is between your ears I am still more comfortable with the 1911 cocked and locked

The other important point someone already mentioned is that once a 1911 is cocked it takes very little trigger pressure to launch a round. on the XDM you feel the passive trigger safety come back then the trigger comes back to a stop before you actually fire a round. At least that is how mine seems to work. I've read several guys here complaining about the extremely long pull on the XDM

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    another thread got me curious about this. do any of you guys that have 1911s carry with a round chambered, hammer back but with the safety off?

wouldn't that pretty much be what an XD is? or is there more to the design of and XD than "an fug ugly 1911 with out a thumb safety"

When I grab my 1911, my thumb is already pushing down the safety, I always have my 1911 COCK-N-LOCK:rockwoot:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Even though I always carry my 1911s Cocked n Locked I understand what the OP is getting at. If the grip safety is functioning properly and you keep your booger hook off of the bang switch it seems as if it would be plausible to carry that way. JMB designed the pistol to be carried that way originally IIRC. I would never do it but I understand the reasoning. The 1911 SA trigger pull is just so short and light compared to the striker fired plastic wonder pistols of today I think you'd be asking for trouble. IMHO YMMV :twocents:

Top Bottom